The Student Room Group

Advice needed

Hello everyone I am currently in a dilemma right now and it has been stressing me out big time. Here is my long story: I graduated from University of Hertfordshire in 2010 with a pharmaceutical Science degree, *I got my first job with a big pharmaceutical company down south, *worked there for a year got married, *had a baby, *then got my second job as a QC Analyst with another pharmaceutical giant up north. *I have been with my current company going onto 5years now with 1yr maternity break in btwn to have another baby. *So now I have a 4yrs and 2yrs old. Since I came back from maternity leave 1yr ago, *I have been made to do the same testing day in day out and no progression has been discussed. *Before having my second baby I started a distance learning MSc at the University of Sheffield which I had only just completed. My dilemma is I really hate my job and the fact that there are no progression whatsoever and I have been applying for other jobs since January to change career but being told I do not have sufficient experience within the sector I applied for which is Quality Assurance. I had always wanted to do Pharmacy from the start but circumstances did not permit. *Now that all these has happened I have applied to start pharmacy this September and will be self funding with help from savings bank loan and doing 30hours weekend nights where I currently work. *Am I crazy for wanting to do this. *Please ask me any question which might clarify more as it is quiet a complicated issue which bring tears to my eyes everyday.* *
(edited 7 years ago)
*What's the problem? From the sounds of things you have a goal and you're determined to become a pharmacist. In the long run it might even pay off. You're not crazy at all, a lot of people would just role over and accept they're going to be doing a job that they don't enjoy for the rest of their lives.

Fortunately your kids are young, (and I assume self funding uni is going to a large financial impact on you), but it's not like they're 12-18 where they are financially needy little shits. I think the best time to do what you're doing is now.
Reply 2
Why would you be crazy? As above, you've identified a goal and set up your life so that you can have a shot at attaining it. Sounds a good deal more sorted than 99% of the population.*I can't reassure you that it will be easy by a long chalk - especially if even thinking about it makes you cry! But you already know that and you're giving it a red hot go, regardless. More power to you.

I gave up a well-paid job in IT to do an archaeology degree in my forties. Eight years on, I have a degree, a Masters and I'm being paid to do what I love. Yes I have short contracts, I earn peanuts compared to my old wage and I have to economise like I used to when I was in my early twenties. But I've never been happier.
Reply 3
Thanks soo much for these advices. I am looking forward to starting in September. I know it's going to be a lot of work but I will have enough do it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending