Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    we've planned to travel for 15 days going from paris berlin amsterdam budapest prague and krakow! So far i have around 770 euros but i haven't paid for the pass yet or any hostels? I am going with one other person

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amejv)
    we've planned to travel for 15 days going from paris berlin amsterdam budapest prague and krakow! So far i have around 770 euros but i haven't paid for the pass yet or any hostels? I am going with one other person
    I'm sure other people who have been to these places more recently than me will be able to give you a better idea, but I just wanted to point out that Euros will be no good in Budapest, Prague or Krakow and you'll need separate currencies for each of those places! I'm sure you already know that but just in case (and in case anyone else reads this later on down the line!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amejv)
    This time last year I was in the middle of my trip. I went to Helsinki, Stockholm, Bergen, Copenhagen, Berlin, Prague, Budapest, Ljubljana, Venice, Munich, Utrecht, Amsterdam and Lille. (cities in italic used Euros).

Altogether my and my ex spent about £1500 each, so that was for everything - flights, ferries, interrail ticket, food, reservations, accommodation, activities, you name it. Last year that would have been ~€2175. I had to borrow £50 off my mum for my last night in Lille so could have somewhere to sleep and get some food for the next day. Make of that what you will.

Paris and Amsterdam are very expensive, Berlin is fairly expensive, and the other three cities are very cheap. If you haven't got your pass or paid for any accommodation yet I think you should probably try get a bit more money. ~£800 would be good I reckon, so that would give you ~€960. If there is only two of you, look into AirBnB, it might work out cheaper than a hostel in some cases. It did for me and my ex in most cities we went to. Hostels are great but they usually work out cheaper if there is only one person, or a lot of you. Couchsurfing is also an option but you might have left it a bit too late to make it easy to get places - I put in SO much effort and got shunned almost every single time.

Since you're going to 6 different cities (and using 4 different currencies) I hope you haven't already changed your money to Euros.... You'll get more bang for your buck (and it will be safer/easier) if you withdraw the money you need from an ATM each day. Euros will be useless in your last 3 cities and if you go to any bureaux de change in person whilst travelling you'll just get shafted.

Any questions? AMA.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.