Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Basically, I've always wanted to be a Graphic Designer, but no nearby schools taught it at A Level, so I ended up doing a Geography degree because I enjoy it. Now I've finished, I still want to work in graphics! Would it be worth doing a masters?

I've got a lot of graphics work including my Etsy store, and a 2:1 that should get me into the course, but I'm worried employers still won't want me at the end of it all.
    Thanks!
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    (Original post by laurenn279)
    Basically, I've always wanted to be a Graphic Designer, but no nearby schools taught it at A Level, so I ended up doing a Geography degree because I enjoy it. Now I've finished, I still want to work in graphics! Would it be worth doing a masters?

I've got a lot of graphics work including my Etsy store, and a 2:1 that should get me into the course, but I'm worried employers still won't want me at the end of it all.
    Thanks!
    It's a skills/talent based career, not an education/qualifications based one. Employers will care that you have the talent, the ability to take a brief, create, work to a deadline etc. Irrelevant qualifications will be just that, irrelevant.

ReputationRep:
    No nearby colleges, taught graphics you say? But every sixth-form in the country teaches art and design so if you really wanted to have done something like that you could.

What did you see yourself doing with a geography degree?

Are there any cross-overs you like between the two subjects? If there is any!

I know it is easier to go postgraduate studies because of the new loans and this opens up a world of opportunities but just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by post-grad-u-ate)
    No nearby colleges, taught graphics you say? But every sixth-form in the country teaches art and design so if you really wanted to have done something like that you could.

What did you see yourself doing with a geography degree?

Are there any cross-overs you like between the two subjects? If there is any!

I know it is easier to go postgraduate studies because of the new loans and this opens up a world of opportunities but just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should.
    I have diplomas in graphics and marketing, and so the cross-over would be tourism marketing which I would love to do, but that of course is a very niche subject to get into!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laurenn279)
    I have diplomas in graphics and marketing, and so the cross-over would be tourism marketing which I would love to do, but that of course is a very niche subject to get into!
    But this is planet earth and as long as you can put two feet on the ground then nothing is impossible!

Take the word 'design' and think about what geography would teach you like sustainability and urbanism. For me the cross-over is delving into the architectural world..

The AA (Architectural Association) School is the best school for architecture in the United Kingdom. Looking on their website for inspiration and taking on this word 'design' and the AA school offers:

M.A. Spatial Performance and Design

M.Arch. Sustainable Environmental Design

The latter SED course is described as 'to improve environmental conditions and quality of life in cities, achieve independence from non-renewable energy sources and develop and environmentally sustainable architecture able to adapt and respond to changing urban environments'.

You would be integrating your geographical knowledge into designs of buildings and communities and collaborating with architects on designs and how those two worlds can work together!

The AA School is considered above Oxford and Cambridge within the architecture industry, so that could make entry more competitive but it is very likely that they are getting applications from many B.Arch.'s so to apply with a geography degree might be rare for them and they could be really enthusiastic about this and so if you mentioned your passion for integrating your knowledge and skill-sets on topics such as sustainability into design then I think you have a very good chance to get on to this SED course, which is really exciting!

This a good theme to think about? For more inspiration go to www.dezeen.com/architecture/, Dezeen is a user-friendly website that is considered the 'go-to' website for industry news and innovations.

So it maybe not be being creative in the sense of drawing a logo or experimenting with vibrant colours which you might be thinking of, which is in a completely different universe to geography, but you have to admit it would bring out a lot of the knowledge that you have learnt in your degree.

ReputationRep:

The AA School is elite and thus, I have found.. very expensive with 30k fees!

other courses I have found in the UK for you to consider are:

Cardiff University - M.Sc. Theory and Practice of Sustainable Design (6-7k, tbc)

Edinburgh University - M.Sc. Advanced Sustainable Design (8.5k)

Goldsmiths, London - M.A. Design and Environment (6.2k)

University College London - The Bartlett offer a lot of courses.

University of Nottingham - M.Arch. Sustainable Urban Design (6.6k)

Royal College of Art - M.A. Architecture (9.5k)

Newcastle - M.Sc. Sustainable Buildings and the Environment (5.6k)

University of Bath - M.Sc. Architectural Engineering: Environmental Design (6.5k)

Central Saint Martins - M.Arch.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.