Turn on thread page Beta

bullying at university. watch

• View Poll Results: Do you believe you have been bullied at uni?
    Yes
    22.95%
    No
    58.20%
    No, but I have seen it going on.
    18.85%

ReputationRep:
    I found this article on the interweb (useful thing that it is) and it raised some questions in my mind.
    Apparently one in four university students are subject to bullying, I know I am at the moment and I was just wondering how many others have experienced this. Poll is anon

ReputationRep:
    On a night out once at university there was a group of students who were really nasty to me for no apparent reason. I don't know if other people would call that bullying or not, but it felt like it to me. I was really upset and it shocked me that a bunch of MEDICAL students (!) could be so childish and insensitive. I hadn't been picked on since I was about 15 at high school so to be treated similarly at the age of 18 going on 19 was pretty devastating. I found university to be much like being back at high school, bizarrely I felt that 6th form was a lot more mature.

ReputationRep:
    Thankfully, I have that much more confidence now that I would tell them to **** off and give the ring leader a kick in the nuts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tis_only_meee)
    Thankfully, I have that much more confidence now that I would tell them to **** off and give the ring leader a kick in the nuts.
    See I have always thought that, but it's hard. There are alot more bullies than victims, it's frightening and more often than not standing up for yourself gives them more ammo to throw back at you, taking the piss, mimicking ect...

ReputationRep:
    MEDICAL students most of them are up there own ass

ReputationRep:
    i dont think i have, but this girl had issues with me for no real reason, and i always felt like i had to be careful around her, incase i upset her again.. i know i shouldn't have to tiptoe around her and i should stand up for myself, but she was close with everyone i lived with, and shes on my course, so its kinda tricky.

ReputationRep:
    In the second term, my flatmates started a campaign against me. I don't know their motives but they said horrible things to me and made me clean the toilet when the mess wasn't mine. They spoke behind my back (but I spent most of the time in my room with one illness or another) about how ill I was, even though my illnesses were caused by high stress levels. They wrote horrible letters to me.

I confronted the ring leader just before I dropped out and explained that it was the stress that was making me ill and they were only making me feel worse. I also explained that my problems had gone too far as I had just come out of hospital when it got really bad. Thankfully, it worked but I really hope I don't end up in that situation when I start my new course.

yes pretty badly, i had a whole group of them doing it, even threatening to have me kicked out the uni and everything.

i ended up turning to drugs and alcohol and it weren't until i almost killed myself over it all that i finally went to the uni councellor to try sort myself out.

****ing ***** the lot of them.

ReputationRep:
    I can't believe people get bullied at university. How childish is that? Though I suppose people get bullied in the workplace and even in retirement homes.. but you'd think that people would go to university for the purpose of having a good time, since the studeny body is so vast that there's no specific hierarchy to climb. That's worried me a bit now. (A psychopathic girl I know who has real issues with me is going to the same university as me in September).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thelfo)
    I can't believe people get bullied at university. How childish is that? Though I suppose people get bullied in the workplace and even in retirement homes.. but you'd think that people would go to university for the purpose of having a good time, since the studeny body is so vast that there's no specific hierarchy to climb. That's worried me a bit now. (A psychopathic girl I know who has real issues with me is going to the same university as me in September).
    I think that there is such a sense of 'you have to fit in' that when bullying starts people join in. They want to be with the 'hard lot' and fear that if they stand up for someone they too will become a victim.

To tell you the truth I feel so jaded that university hasn't (for me) turned out how they say it will and right now I'm trying my hardest to get the blokes tormenting me punished.

ReputationRep:
    (A psychopathic girl I know who has real issues with me is going to the same university as me in September).
    Cardiff is a big place: You're one person in over 300,000. You will be well protected.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubblebee)
    I found this article on the interweb (useful thing that it is) and it raised some questions in my mind.
    Apparently one in four university students are subject to bullying, I know I am at the moment and I was just wondering how many others have experienced this. Poll is anon
    How could anyone bully someone with a face as pretty as yours? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jossyboy45)
    Cardiff is a big place: You're one person in over 300,000. You will be well protected.
    Haha, is that a promise? :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RockyApolla)
    How could anyone bully someone with a face as pretty as yours? :confused:
    Acording to what they were shouting through my bedroom door this evening my face is what is bothering them.

ReputationRep:
    Haha, is that a promise? :p:
    Perhaps. :P

ReputationRep:
    Acording to what they were shouting through my bedroom door this evening my face is what is bothering them.
    You know what they say about boys who pick on girls.. Not that it makes it any better at all. Get 'em punished. :mad:

ReputationRep:
    Gay guys do kinda' get jealous like that.

ReputationRep:
    Oh god! at my uni we had to do classes with students from other courses, and there was this one vile ginger haired pikey ***** ( she was like lauren from cathy tate show) and anyhow she took a dislike to me.

making snide remarks and stuff, to which i retorted!

she lost her head one day and and was like " im gonna **** you up *****" and i was like " you have clearly been inadequately socialized, and im not going to fight with you, that kind of language and behaviour is not acceptable in a university enviroment" then i reported her officially to the vice principle and she got an oral warning!

she started on me in the student bar i said " come on then, do your worst your fat pikey scum" she backed down.

moral of the story, dont put up with it!

ReputationRep:
    I thought 18+ individuals who are actually attending a decent course at university would be mature enough not to put people down like that. You sure most aren't overreacting?

ReputationRep:
    I lol at bullies because they are dumb and I just outsmart them and make them seem foolish ^^ it's well funny because then they walk off and act all cool. That's when you knock them in the head with the lead piping and leave them in a bath full of ice

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 12, 2007
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.