The Student Room Group

BMAT or UKCAT

At school, our uni adviser has told the medicine applicants that we should take both the bmat and the ukcat and when we apply we should apply for 2 bmat unis 2 ukcat unis and 1 non medicine subject.
But the thing is none of the unis I want to apply to require bmat
Is there any point in preparing for the test and applying for bmat unis or can I just stick with my plan for the ukcat?
Has anybody else applied in a similar way and what was the outcome?
Reply 1
Original post by a_d_e
At school, our uni adviser has told the medicine applicants that we should take both the bmat and the ukcat and when we apply we should apply for 2 bmat unis 2 ukcat unis and 1 non medicine subject.
Is there any point in preparing for the test and applying for bmat unis or can I just stick with my plan for the ukcat?

Worth doing the UKCAT and depending on your score...deciding if you want to consider BMAT universities.

No point applying to 4 UKCAT unis if your UKCAT score is disappointing.....BMAT can give you a second chance
Original post by a_d_e

This is just general method that maximizes your chances of getting into a med school; if you take both, you won't be completely screwed if you mess up one of the exams. If you don't want to go to any of the BMAT unis, then by all means go for only UKCAT ones. Just make sure you're confident that you'll do alright as you're putting all your eggs in one basket.
Original post by a_d_e

Hi a_d_e

As others have said, by choosing BMAT universities and taking the BMAT as well as UKCAT you are keeping your options open for longer.

With that said, if you do decide not to apply to any universities that require BMAT then you should really make sure you are as prepared as possible for your UKCAT.

Do you have anything in mind yet for helping you to prepare?

It would be a really good idea to look at courses that will help you to do the best you can. There are lots of resources available, so it is really a case of deciding what is going to benefit you most. A UKCAT course will help you to prepare by teaching you time saving techniques and strategies.

I know that people often ask if they need to do a course before taking the UCKAT, and although at the end of the day, it is totally up to you, I think as someone else said if you do decide to put all your eggs in the UKCAT basket, it is wise to do as much as you can before hand.

Once you have decided if you are going to apply for both BMAT and UKCAT, you might be interested in this blog post which goes over the benefits of taking a course in preparation.

I think if you really don't want to apply to any universities that require the BMAT then that is your choice, just make sure you give yourself the best chance possible with the UCKAT!

I hope that has been of some help... do give me a shout if you would like any advice on this subject as we know quite a bit about it!

UniAdmissions

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending