Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm only actively connected to the internet for about 5 hours per day.

I have WiFi at home but the router isn't always plugged in; we don't keep it on because it can get hot when left in for long periods, and because it may be more expensive to leave it running all day every day especially at times when it's not used much (when going out/sleeping, etc). So, we plug it on whenever we decide to go on the internet (it takes about 3 minutes to kick in).

My smartphone is on pay as you go so I don't use the 2/3/4g on that as it costs about £1 per minute. This means when I am out, I must rely on open wifi signals.

This sort of makes me feel left out with friends and stuff because I can't really utilise things such as Whatsapp and stuff.

My question is: how much are you all connected to the internet? By this I mean how much you are passively connected to the internet; not how much time you are actually using it, if you get what I mean.

Are you constantly connected?

ReputationRep:
    Surprisingly, my use of technology and the internet goes down during the holiday period as I am outside more and generally more active. During exam period/academic year my internet use peaks (for work purposes only, I swear ). During the school year i spend at most 6 hours on the internet and during the holidays i would be luck to exceed anything over 5 hours (which is a good thing, I suppose).

ReputationRep:
    Pretty much all day during holidays. No kidding. I do **** all almost all the time; hate them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wiggly)
    I'm only actively connected to the internet for about 5 hours per day.

I have WiFi at home but the router isn't always plugged in; we don't keep it on because it can get hot when left in for long periods, and because it may be more expensive to leave it running all day every day especially at times when it's not used much (when going out/sleeping, etc). So, we plug it on whenever we decide to go on the internet (it takes about 3 minutes to kick in).

My smartphone is on pay as you go so I don't use the 2/3/4g on that as it costs about £1 per minute. This means when I am out, I must rely on open wifi signals.

This sort of makes me feel left out with friends and stuff because I can't really utilise things such as Whatsapp and stuff.

My question is: how much are you all connected to the internet? By this I mean how much you are passively connected to the internet; not how much time you are actually using it, if you get what I mean.

THAT is most dumbest thing I have read all week. You do realise you're paying for wifi 24 hours a day 7 days a week so plugging out means nothing unless you're talking about unplugging all electrical appliances to save on energy consumption which imo is not saving much anyway.

I leave my skybox on ALL the time and it has been on every since we got it, same goes for the moderm.

But getting back to the point of this thread. I'm always connected to the internet even when at work I'm always checking the news websites, social media and a couple of forums (not this one).

edit: after reading my post following hitting submit i do apologise about how incoherent my post sounds, I don't care to edit it

ReputationRep:
    At home I'm on the internet a LOTS but when I go out I don't use mobile data and also tend to leave my phone at home to get away from it. I used to be really obsessed but now I'd rather just walk down the road and take in my surroundings then be connected 24/7

ReputationRep:
    Depends on how my candy, magic and juice deals are going.

ReputationRep:
    Lifeline

ReputationRep:
    Pretty much always connected, home Wi-Fi and mobile data so I always get messages and emails wherever I am. Usually spend around 1-2 hours on it during a working day and God knows how long on a slow weekend.

If you have to stay on PAYG I'd highly recommend 3's PAYG plan, as it's just 1p/mb which almost makes it better value than most contracts depending on how you use it.

ReputationRep:
    I have unlimited 4G data on my phone, use Netflix and Amazon Prime on my TV and use my Macbook Pro for most of the day with 100mb/s WiFi.
    I simply cannot live without it and refuse to go on holiday to anywhere where I cannot use 3's policy of 'use your phone abroad at no extra cost'.
    Essentially sound like Millenial brat but I simply cannot live without the internet, having had it for most of my life.
    So essentially, the only time I am not using the internet at any point of the day is when I am asleep.
    And even then I occasionally wake up at 2-3am to check the news and use my phone before I go to sleep and when I wake up.

ReputationRep:
    At home, always connected.

When I go out, rare-never unless I'm in a place which has WiFi. I don't use data on my phone.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    well, my phone alone says that I have used 43.02GB of WiFi data since the 19th June... and I think I use my laptop even more

ReputationRep:
    Pretty much 24/7, at home and away

ReputationRep:
    I connected to internet a lots, almost 12 hours for me. WiFi is everywhere at home at office so phone is almost connected to internet.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Almost always connected. 3/4G on my phone when I'm out and WiFi turned on at home permanently. I disconnect from the WiFi and Mobile Data overnight though to prevent pointless battery drain on my phone. Phone is also always on. So basically apart from at night I always have a connection to the internet.

To address a few things in the OP's post:

The router getting hot is normal. It will generate heat while it's left on and is not something to worry about. If the heat is excessive (by which I mean it's too hot to touch, or appears dangerous) then you need a new router. That's not normal and is potentially a fire hazard. Also worth noting where it is. Make sure it has appropriate cooling.

The amount of energy waste in modern (and even semi-modern) routers is negligible. In fact the amount of energy consumed when you're using it for a few hours a day is likely to be greater than the amount consumed while leaving it plugged in the rest of the time. We're talking pennies, or fractions of pennies a day wasted. It's most definitely worth it for the convenience.

Routers are designed to be left on. Continuously turning it on and off is probably doing it more harm than good.

You're phone won't be costing £1 per minute to be connected to the internet via a mobile network. Most, if not all carriers charge you based on data, not on the time you're connected.

My advice is the following:
    Turn your router on and leave it on. If it's dangerous to do so get a new router. The drawbacks (slightly higher energy usage) are far outweighed by the benefits (permanent internet connection, no waiting around to connect, better router stability and performance and so on).
    Buy a cheap data package. It can be a contract or pay as you go but get a data package rather than trying to pay for what you use. It'e massively cheaper in the long run. For example EE here offer these on PAYG
    http://shop.ee.co.uk/sim-only/pay-as-you-go-phones

and these on sim, pay monthly contracts
    http://shop.ee.co.uk/sim-only/pay-monthly-phones

The cheapest packages are £9.99 per month on contract for 250MB of data, 250 minutes and unlimited texts, or you can double that for £3 more. The pay as you go packs offer you a range of packages and you can focus on data packs if you don't use your texts/minutes. The cheapest here is £10 for 1GB of data, 100 minutes and 1000 texts to last the month.

If you're only using your phone to look at social media, whatsapp, etc and not for streaming videos or anything too data hungry you'll easily be able to survive on that per month. And no matter which way you look at it, £10-15 a month is not unreasonable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acsel)
    I live with my parents and they are the type who wish to save as much as they can; un-plug appliances when not used, pick up pennies in the street, etc. When I'm home alone I leave it on for longer, but I do see the point in not having it in when sleeping or out.

I've been looking for a phone deal for a while. I don't really call/text that often (e.g. a few times a month) so I don't really top up very often (about £50 per year perhaps). I've been looking for a contract/deal below £10 as £120 per year is quite a big jump for what I'm currently spending.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Around 16 hours a day. That doesn't necessarily mean I'm staring at a screen all that time, but that I have my phone around me with internet access. I have wifi at home and at work and a data plan that means I can just use 3G all the time if I want, but I turn it off entirely when I'm sleeping because I get too many notifications at night that wake me up.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I live with my parents and they are the type who wish to save as much as they can; un-plug appliances when not used, pick up pennies in the street, etc. When I'm home alone I leave it on for longer, but I do see the point in not having it in when sleeping or out.

I've been looking for a phone deal for a while. I don't really call/text that often (e.g. a few times a month) so I don't really top up very often (about £50 per year perhaps). I've been looking for a contract/deal below £10 as £120 per year is quite a big jump for what I'm currently spending.
    Honestly the pennies you save on your budget by turning it off will be wiped away if something goes wrong as a result of you continuously turning it on and off. Not to say it's guaranteed but it could happen.

There's a limit to how frugal you can be. There's a fine line between saving money and being too excessive. At this point you're trading convenience for pennies. Or to put it another way, you're saving pennies by turning the router off but losing minutes of time waiting for it to boot up. By that logic your time is worth pennies per minute since you're willing to wait a few minutes to save pennies. While there is a minor monetary gain by acting this way there's a massive convenience loss by doing so. I don't want to sound like I'm knocking your lifestyle though so I'll leave it there. One day though you'll be the one in charge. By all means save money, it's a great skill but don't become too obsessive with it.

You'll struggle to find anything under £10 a month, that's pretty much the default average and anything under that will not give you enough to actually be useful. £10 is the bare minimum you'd be able to spend. It's also a small amount when you consider you might one day be paying £40-50 a month for a high end smartphone. If it's outside your budget there isn't much you can do but £10 per month is the best you'll get. My advice is to shop around in store, rather than online. There's potential, albeit small that in person you might be able to waiver a slightly more unique contract.

ReputationRep:
    Always connected to the internet

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.