Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    What they expect from me is to spend my time 100% efficiently.
    What sort of person can do that?
    Certainly not me.

I mean who doesn't just want to take a break and kick back and relax on the sofa watching TV or on the computer watching some videos or even some games.

My parents expect me to just spend my time with 100% efficiency, no time wasted.

I can't do that, i say well yes i'm doing some homework and learning some stuff myself, yet they say(since we need to sell the house and move elsewhere) that i must go outside and help do the garden and stuff to make the house look nicer so it'll sell. The tell me it's not good enough and i ask what isn't good enough and they say spending all my time just working. They say i should get a job which i agree with but i can't find one, last summer i went around shops gave in my cv and asked around if any shops needed help or had any space to take me on as an employee for the summer but no-one had any space/would take me in. The also mentioned that i ****ed up my GCSE's and i should've studied harder and i mentioned to them well that's what i'm trying to do currently by studying harder and then they go back to "it's not good enough".

In any case all the ask is to keep doing loads of work and instead of spending any time talking to friends or playing games or watching videos, to instead do something "useful". They said play piano in your spare time instead of gaming. My point(which i didn't say because they'd kill me if i did) was that that's not enjoyable and i don't see it as a break, all it is to me is just more work. Then they'll come up with the "we all ave to do things we don't like in life". Then again they're missing the point, i wanted a break and(i assume) they're talking about work where we must o things which we don't like which i have no problem with. This however is a break, no person can work without a break otherwise they'll die.

I literally can't do anything but just "work" and more work with no break, with only sleep and eating as a break from work if i did follow this routine. Of course i don't follow this and i play games to take a break or clear my mind from all the work so i can start afresh the next session. All they tell me is you play games every time i see you(always a problem since they always come in when i'm gaming, the moment i choose i want to game they **** me over and watch me and say from observation that's all i do without observing me all the time).

Anyways i don't know what i can do to meet their expectations, they pretty much want to me help solve the problem they started and unfortunately i can't do that, i don't have qualifications or any sort of power to get a good job with. I really don't know, all my brother does is ****all and i'm getting blasted by my parents who ask me what i do all the time.(yes the sibling comparison xD) In any case my brother is a few years younger than me so not much he can do.... Any way they expect me to help them solve the **** they started and i can't. If they're not smart and they have a kid, they're generally not going to have a ****ing genius of a kid are they? So why such high expectations? It's as if they expect something from nothing, which unfortunately can't happen. They expect me to do very well in school but if they're stupid and got bad grades in school how am i supposed to do better? I can learn and try but that'll only get me so far. Talent always has a relative advantage over those with none.

TL: DR I guess what i'm trying to say is no-one can spend 100% of their time efficiently all day every day. I need my breaks and yes there is more i could do but right now i think learning is the main concern. Yes i could try and get a job and i could do a bit more of "other" stuff but really i need my breaks, simply because i swear i'll go insane if i just work myself all the time. That's why i "always have time for games". It's something to look forward to and enjoy out of my boring life.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    p.s someone pls help me -.-'

ReputationRep:
    A lot of points on this thread are a bit daft.

Just because your parents didnt get good grades doesnt mean you wont get good grades. My parents dont have a degree and in fact my mum didnt even complete high school but I got really good grades? Your grades depend on the hard work you put in not your parents...

Playing piano is hardly work. Why dont you find a hobby thats useful that you like? If you cant find a job, try volunteering in a field you enjoy, so you have a bit of experience and you CAN get a job. Also you said you tried last year to apply for a job and im assuming you didnt try this year. Why dont you use indeed.com to start applying? Have you looked into apprenticeships at all?

What your parents are trying to help you understand is - stop wasting your life away by playing video games and talking to friends. Life cant be fun and jolly all the time. People do things they dont feel like doing. Your parents just want you to contribute more in the family and even offering to do gardening or the dishes or the hoover will make them really happy that you want to be more involved in things. It sounds to me that you just want to isolate yourself by playing games all day. I came onto this thread thinking your parents made you do hard labour all day. Your parents just want you to have a good life. Its your fault you got bad grades in your exams but its up to you to improve that.

ReputationRep:
    My parents expect me to get into uni... Ha ha ha ha ha...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sameehaiqbal)
    A lot of points on this thread are a bit daft.

Just because your parents didnt get good grades doesnt mean you wont get good grades. My parents dont have a degree and in fact my mum didnt even complete high school but I got really good grades? Your grades depend on the hard work you put in not your parents...

Playing piano is hardly work. Why dont you find a hobby thats useful that you like? If you cant find a job, try volunteering in a field you enjoy, so you have a bit of experience and you CAN get a job. Also you said you tried last year to apply for a job and im assuming you didnt try this year. Why dont you use indeed.com to start applying? Have you looked into apprenticeships at all?

What your parents are trying to help you understand is - stop wasting your life away by playing video games and talking to friends. Life cant be fun and jolly all the time. People do things they dont feel like doing. Your parents just want you to contribute more in the family and even offering to do gardening or the dishes or the hoover will make them really happy that you want to be more involved in things. It sounds to me that you just want to isolate yourself by playing games all day. I came onto this thread thinking your parents made you do hard labour all day. Your parents just want you to have a good life. Its your fault you got bad grades in your exams but its up to you to improve that.
    Unfortunately i'm very different from others in almost every aspect and it doesn't matter how hard i work, i always learn slower than everyone else. I have to put in twice the amount of work to catch up to everyone else
    gaming but i can't make a living out of that since i know nothing about it
    i volunteer at a charity shop for the disable called scope but that's about it
    no i don't want to go straight into work just yet....
    I already understand this and i've already done plenty in my life which i don't want to do and hated but i still did it anyway. I don't want to be involved, i'd rather be a loner for the rest of my life(yes sounds really sad) i don't however want to isolate myself playing games all day though, that's bad and i'd get bored quick.
    I agree it is my fault but then again they're not letting me correct my mistake and allowing me to work hard now they just want me to do others stuff which isn't studying so i don't get top grades...
    (Original post by fefssdf)
    My parents expect me to get into uni... Ha ha ha ha ha...
    lol... i wanna but i don't know if i can

ReputationRep:
    I think you should go to a GP and your school and ask to be assessed by an educational psychologist (I think if you do it through school it's free? but your GP should be able to tell you if costs anything). You may have a learning difficulty of some kind if you work really hard and are considerably slower than your peers. Once you know if you have one you can learn strategies to help you that target specific problems.

In the meantime you could go to your parents with a prospective timetable that includes breaks and work with them to reach a compromise (include time for school work, chores and free time).

Do you have a guidance counselor or form tutor who could have a meeting with you and your parents about your progress and realistic expectations? Maybe talk about your personal goals: do want to go to uni? what kind of career are you interested in? Things like that.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 17, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.