Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys;

So this academic year i completed my AS levels and i think i did pretty well - AABB and next year i should be able to pull of A*A*A.

At the start of AS i took fine art, loved it, but then dropped it because i knew i couldn't balance it with my other subjects (maths, businsss and law) so i swapped it for economics.

Is an art A-level required for university fine art, or will a portfolio of work do?

ReputationRep:
    edit; doesn't matter, everything's been put better.

ReputationRep:
    It depends on the university, the course and the people running it. A lot of universities say they want fine art on the website but if you speak to them they'll tell you they accept other stuff too, what they care about more is your portfolio, how creative you are and meeting the UCAS point requirement. Also convincing them you want to do this is important to some of them too. Some universities are really strict on what they want but from what I've seen this tends to be the more traditional courses at older institutions that teach the subject from a bit more of an old fashioned viewpoint. A lot of places these days aren't too fussed and don't even mind too much what your grades are, as they're aware that grades in an exam mean absolutely nothing when it comes to being an artist. Just apply, go into your interview with your best work and convince them you have a deep interest in not only creating art but art as a whole, make sure you have your favourite artists and can talk about why you like their work, talk about what you want to do on the course, show them you can apply deep thought and evaluation to both your work and other peoples, and you should be fine.

I'm currently going into my second year of a fine art degree. I also currently hold no qualifications in fine art nor have I ever studied it beyond the compulsory studies in secondary school. Someone on my course is an international student from Russia, they transferred from a psychology degree in Moscow as it wasn't for them and also didn't study fine art before this degree as far as I'm aware. There are others both on my course and other art courses in a similar situation. We were accepted onto the course by showing in both our portfolios and interviews that we are creative people seeking to become artists and that we have a passion for this. For some universities this is all that matters, and to be honest this is how all of them should be, as this is all that matters in being an artist, but that's another issue.

If in doubt just speak to the tutors on the course when looking at what universities you want to apply to. Most will be more than happy to answer your questions and discuss with you your options. In fact I highly recommend it, it helped me a lot when I spoke to uni tutors at open days, interviews or online.

Also important, I nearly forgot to mention, there's the option of a foundation degree or foundation diploma or a year 0. These are all pretty much the same, a single year before the degree with little to no requirements where you spend the time learning various different things and building a strong portfolio. These are there primarily for people exactly in situations like yours and focus on getting you up to the same point as those people who would be starting the degree with prior art qualifications. In fact whilst it's possible for you to get straight onto the degree it might even be worth looking into doing this beforehand as it'll be a worthwhile experience, though it'll depend on if you want to spend that year doing this or if you want to go straight onto the degree, and the tutors might even tell you you don't need to do this. It makes little difference to your actual degree apart from you'll have already been at uni for a year before you start it, you'll have more work and experience and you'll be given a lower entry requirement from the uni (some will even only require you to pass the foundation). Also if anything the people coming from the foundation tend to be in a slightly better position. It's worth looking into at least
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Official TSR Representative
    Hi @BR2671999,

@RX-94-Harley shares most of the same information that we would; and the same sentiment about seeing people's creativity being key to the admissions process.

Providing that you are making and creating work, whether is sketching out ideas, experimenting with different media or working on creative projects, then this would give the university a chance to assess your creative potential. It would also give the university a chance to see how well you understand your practice and the course that you are applying for. Fine Art degrees can vary from institution to institution so have a look at how the courses are different and which one might be the most suited for you. Taking this time in the research stage will help you feel more confident as you start the course too!

Foundation diplomas and/or Year 0 courses are a great way to top up on those fundamental skills before embarking on the degree so do look at those as a back up option. This is particularly useful for those applicants who haven't studied a creative subject or have their own practice. It's up to you to decide which level might be best for you but we always discuss with applicants in their interview/ feedback on portfolio.

Best of luck to you!
    Lou

Norwich University of the Arts

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BR2671999)
    Hi guys;

So this academic year i completed my AS levels and i think i did pretty well - AABB and next year i should be able to pull of A*A*A.

At the start of AS i took fine art, loved it, but then dropped it because i knew i couldn't balance it with my other subjects (maths, businsss and law) so i swapped it for economics.

Is an art A-level required for university fine art, or will a portfolio of work do?
    If your portfolio is good then they should let you in no matter what subject you study at level 3/A levels.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.