Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    There's a thread in H&R at the moment about bullying at university, and a surprising number of people are saying they've been victims of it. I'm just wondering if it seems to be a problem at Cardiff? This psychopathic girl who has a grudge against me is going to Cardiff too, but I assumed we'd be too busy to really bother with each other.

Anybody seen/encountered any bullying?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thelfo)
    There's a thread in H&R at the moment about bullying at university, and a surprising number of people are saying they've been victims of it. I'm just wondering if it seems to be a problem at Cardiff? This psychopathic girl who has a grudge against me is going to Cardiff too, but I assumed we'd be too busy to really bother with each other.

Anybody seen/encountered any bullying?
    I obviously don't know yet. But I did a little research for you. I went onto the Cardiff Student Union website. I found the following section on bullying:

There is a need to address the issues of bullying in Universities. It is almost a forgotten topic which is very rarely spoken about and we would like to believe is not happening. Bullying is harmful to all involved, not just the bullied, and can lead to self-doubt, lack of confidence, low self-esteem, depression, anxiety, self-harm and sometimes even suicide. Many students up and down the country are tolerating being bullied or dropping out of University because they just can't cope anymore.

NUS is running a bullying campaign for the first time the aim of this campaign is to raise the awareness amongst students and ourselves that this is a major issue that is going on, on our campuses. It will then lead into a campaign for change.The data collected in this survey will be used as part of the campaign and as evidence in the governments select committee reviewing bullying.

There's also an e-mail regarding our survey. You can e-mail this lady to discuss the results and detailed statistics of bullying at Cardiff University:
    [email protected]
    Failing that, try: [email protected]

Remember, do not panic, you'll be fine.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not all that worried about being bullied myself. My theory is that if this one particular girl gives me trouble, I've taken enough abuse over the last few years to justify punching her in the face. I'm just genuinely shocked that people get bullied at university at all. It's so petty. :|

ReputationRep:
    I've never really seen anything that could be considered bullying here. There's several reasons why I think bullying is less frequent in uni
    a) people have less time on their hands- if they are free they go home and don't sit around in the common room gossiping because they have nothing better to do
    b) you don't know as many people- in lectures of 300 people you will get to know a few, but you won't know the whole year as well as you would in sixth form
    c) it's really easy to avoid people if you don't like them
    d) generally people want to be at uni and act slightly more grown up than in secondary school.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thelfo)
    I'm not all that worried about being bullied myself. My theory is that if this one particular girl gives me trouble, I've taken enough abuse over the last few years to justify punching her in the face. I'm just genuinely shocked that people get bullied at university at all. It's so petty. :|
    whatever you do, don't punch her in her face. if she does keep harrassing you, go down to park place (university security) and make sure the history of events is documented and on record with her. that way, if anything happens, they know the background already. if you hit her in her face after she provokes you, the chances are it will be you that gets sent down from university.

I was in halls with a complete moron in my first year who tried to intimidate me and generally acted bolshy and tried to make out he was in charge. fortunately he was about the same size as me and not very smart, so i could pretty much face up to him and laugh at him to his face - but i can well see that had i been smaller (in stature or character) his actions would have been tantamount to bullying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jrhartley)
    I was in halls with a complete moron in my first year who tried to intimidate me and generally acted bolshy and tried to make out he was in charge. fortunately he was about the same size as me and not very smart, so i could pretty much face up to him and laugh at him to his face - but i can well see that had i been smaller (in stature or character) his actions would have been tantamount to bullying.
    Did we live in the same flat? I've had to move out of a student house due to a psychopathic housemate then moved into a flat in halls. I moved out of there also due to some balshy valley commando who was completely narcissisitc and thought he was the supreme ruler. Funny what a few protein shakes can do to someone.

This is something I feel strongly about because it did have psychological effects on me.

Basically, whoever gives you cr**, tell them to ******* right off!!!

ReputationRep:
    I have cerebral palsy and in my first year I only felt bullied once... Some cow left evidence on the internet that her and her mates go around referring to me as 'the ******', but apart from that nothing...

Anyway, I'm SWD officer, so next yr the uni is going to be more disability aware than any other uni in the world!

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.