The Student Room Group

Why are people supporting Erdogan and AKP?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Gora The Xplorer
triggered

Any argument about "haha you're offended" is pointless and inane because it always works both ways.
Original post by Al-farhan
:hmmm:
Calm down bud.

Democracy just isn't for everyone. :rolleyes: Sad.
Reply 62

???
Original post by RobML
???

You have no respect for democracy when other people disagree with you.
Original post by welshiee
1. Its part of their modern history
2. This is the beginning of a dictatorship

So you'd rather an Islamic dictator and the rise of Erdogan to supreme power whereby he cannot be challenged? Erdogan is going to lead us towards the next Ottoman Empire and the military coup was his Reichstag Fire/Night of the Long Knives. He's now removed opposition, removed judges and will replace them with his own and he will have supreme rule over the military. The parallels between Turkey and Nazi Germany are incredibly alarming but people think its great. Naive people who followed the Nazi's thought it was great back then as well. Look at how that turned out.

Incorrect - absolutely incorrect - the first election in Turkey led to a hung parliament and due to the only combinations that could be made to a coalition were not Islamic, the two main parties decided against it - this led to another election - what did AKP do? They struck fear into the lives of people in the south and east of the country and through fear won the next election. That is not democracy at all. It is foul play.

The soldiers are now being punished by being forced to look at a picture of Erdogan. If they blink, something they will involuntary do, they are being beaten. Saddam Hussein used to use similar inhumane tactics.

Here's an opinion of a person from Turkey: https://www.reddit.com/r/Turkey/comments/4t4dp9/the_coup_was_succesfull/?st=iqqsjg8b&sh=5dbcdcc1

Welcome to the Islamic Republic of Turkey: https://twitter.com/Homogenic__/status/754449849286848512

We must open up Europe to secular Turks and give them the free and democratic lives they deserve.

He isn't ideal, but picture the chaos and instability of a successful military coup. We would have a Turkish civil war on our hands, leading to widespread humanitarian crises right on the door of Europe. Syria and Iraq have shown us the consequences of challenging leaders, however brutal they may be - and I think we should not be so hasty to force him out.
Reply 65
You have no respect for democracy when other people disagree with you.

I've told you a million times I respect the legitimacy of his rule, come on.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 66
Original post by swiss_cheese
He isn't ideal, but picture the chaos and instability of a successful military coup. We would have a Turkish civil war on our hands, leading to widespread humanitarian crises right on the door of Europe. Syria and Iraq have shown us the consequences of challenging leaders, however brutal they may be - and I think we should not be so hasty to force him out.

Iraq and Syria showed us that if we do not provide adequate long-term support that chaos is the end result. We had two options and never actually carried through on any of them.

a) Intervene and provide long-term support to allow the region to stabilise
b) Not intervene and allow dictators to rule as they saw fit to maintain control

Instead we either do not intervene or we intervene and then try to give as little support as possible to the region when it takes far more effort and long term cooperation and coordination. Militia religious groups then seized upon that chaos to take control which led to civil conflict.

Islamic State are a product of Islam but they are also opportunists who seized upon an opportunity that was presented by the west.
Original post by RobML
I've told you a million times I respect the legitimacy of his rule, come on.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I trust you also respect the decisions he undertakes as leader.
Reply 68
I trust you also respect the decisions he undertakes as leader.

I respect his right to make those decisions, but not the decisions themselves.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nope, not for everyone.
Iraq and Syria showed us that if we do not provide adequate long-term support that chaos is the end result. We had two options and never actually carried through on any of them.

a) Intervene and provide long-term support to allow the region to stabilise
b) Not intervene and allow dictators to rule as they saw fit to maintain control

Instead we either do not intervene or we intervene and then try to give as little support as possible to the region when it takes far more effort and long term cooperation and coordination. Militia religious groups then seized upon that chaos to take control which led to civil conflict.

Islamic State are a product of Islam but they are also opportunists who seized upon an opportunity that was presented by the west.

But Erdogan isn't exactly a dictator, he was democratically elected.
Original post by RobML

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't think Erdogan cares whether he has your blessing or not.
Original post by RobML

Posted from TSR Mobile

The man himself is a very polarising figure even in his country.
So we will see if he will bring the people together or alienate them.
Reply 73
I don't think Erdogan cares whether he has your blessing or not.

Ok?
Reply 74
Original post by swiss_cheese
But Erdogan isn't exactly a dictator, he was democratically elected.

This has been covered numerous times.

The initial election was a hung parliament and rather than agree a coalition government, the right wing Islamic parties decided not to do so. They then went and instilled fear in the south and east of Turkey whilst causing civil unrest in parts of the country to manipulate the outcome of the next election.

The initial election was a hung parliament and rather than agree a coalition government, the right wing Islamic parties decided not to do so. They then went and instilled fear in the south and east of Turkey whilst causing civil unrest in parts of the country to manipulate the outcome of the next election.

Do you mean the last election or Erdogan's first one?
Lots of utter hypocrites in this thread, they support the leader of Turkey, saying he was democratically elected, true, but in Ukraine, they supported the removal of the democratically elected leader, because he was pro-Russian.

Whatever you think happened, the answer is not a military coup.
Reply 78
Original post by JabaDaba12
I'm glad the army lost, the coup was so poorly planned could you imagine those idiots in charge of nuclear weapons and containing ISIS?

Yeah let's just put a bunch of soldiers in the street at 7pm who don't even want to use force, that'll really scare them off.

Turkey has nuclear weapons????
Original post by The_Opinion
Lots of utter hypocrites in this thread, they support the leader of Turkey, saying he was democratically elected, true, but in Ukraine, they supported the removal of the democratically elected leader, because he was pro-Russian.

Who do you mean?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending