Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

AEAs - are they worth it? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hmm... I don't know :confused: What are your thoughts? Aimée x

ReputationRep:
    If you can be arsed doing it, then yes, don't restrict yourself.

ReputationRep:
    I think this has cropped up in a previous thread, but in brief summation - I would point to the following things:

- AEA, is by definition, an extension to study. In itself, the AEA just involves sitting an extra exam and little else in the way of preparation - most people would take it on the proviso that they are studying to a level beyond A-level anyway - it is a challenge.

- Somebody mentioned that Cambridge can make the AEA a part of their offer, which can help to ease matters somewhat:
    Hypothetical Scenario:
    Offer without AEA - AAAA
    Offer with AEA - AAA + Merit

- The AEA could be mentioned in your PS and it is a sign of commitment to study, and if you achieve a certification, it shows decent academic ability.

- If you feel that taking an extra exam would cause undue stress and worry, don't bother with it.

- AEA is just a nice thing to have I suppose, but it its not critical by any means, if in doubt - do it.

ReputationRep:
    If you think you can get about half marks on an AEA paper, it's worth a try. Just remember that (so long as its not in your offer) its just an extra curricular exam, it has no meaning if you fail, but is nice if you pass. It shouldn't cause you any undue stress.

ReputationRep:
    What are history AEAs like, sources???

ReputationRep:
    AQA are the only board that publish papers so check them for AEA papers (not sure what subjects they do).

For AEA maths style questions, go here

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonas123)
    AQA are the only board that publish papers so check them for AEA papers (not sure what subjects they do).

For AEA maths style questions, go here
    Not true.

You can find a specimen Edexcel AEA History paper, hidden in the workings of www.edexcel.org.uk

ReputationRep:
    OCR do AEA as well

For each AEA subject, an exam board is assigned to set the 3 hour paper on behalf of all of the other exam boards for that subject. So: the is only one AEA paper for Maths, one for Economics etc.

KeN

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KeNsTeR)
    For each AEA subject, an exam board is assigned to set the 3 hour paper on behalf of all of the other exam boards for that subject. So: the is only one AEA paper for Maths, one for Economics etc.

KeN
    Who is the board for Geog?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbdeeprob)
    - Somebody mentioned that Cambridge can make the AEA a part of their offer, which can help to ease matters somewhat:
    Hypothetical Scenario:
    Offer without AEA - AAAA
    Offer with AEA - AAA + Merit

someone at my school was given a 2 E offer from cambridge, but asked to take an AEA - very confusing :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aimée123)
    Who is the board for Geog?
    WJEC I think... the odd welsh one!

Yeah, it is WJEC...they do AEA Welsh (as a) Second Language as well.

KeN

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Louise_1988)
    WJEC I think... the odd welsh one!
    Yeah it is WJEC My AL Geog course exam board is also WJEC, which is errmm, nice. Lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aimée123)
    Hmm... I don't know :confused: What are your thoughts? Aimée x
    It's an extra exam but it is after all the others and you don't need to really prepare for it at all. You've got nothing to lose by doing it, it's just a case of getting your school to let you do it, like i need to!

As I'm sure you're aware by now, an AEA in any subject just constitutes an exam you take in that subject (albeit 3hours long-what a pain!), over and above the A2.

I have only done one, which was in French. I was going to do one in Bio and Maths but couldn't be arsed.

My personal advice is that if you really enjoy a subject, and find that you can handle the A2 without too much effort, you might as well give the AEA a go. In the vast majority of cases, they are not required for universtiy entry, (except sometimes by Oxbridge). But it's like what one of the others said above (sorry-forgotten your name!)...it's a challenge.

Essentially it englobes all the subject areas you studied at A2, just taking them a bit further. Admittedly when I was sitting in the French one, after about 2 hours, I just thought to myself 'what the hell am I doing here?!!". it was my last exam, and all my mates had finished, so I was just itching to get out.

But I guess in the end it's up to you. If you think you could get a merit, then it's worth doing, but really only for yourself-it's not very well recognised yet. If I do well in the French one, it'll be something to feel proud of. Certainly more so than the A2, because I did that last year with my AS exams.

Anyway, I hope this helps!

www.bagerbadgerbadger.com ROCKS!
    I'm spending my summer holidays really productively!!!

ReputationRep:
    Unless you're aiming for law or medicine at Oxbridge, there's little point, unless you just want extra work to do.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.