Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    This question may sound juvenile but please appreciate the little knowledge I have in this field.
    I currently enjoy buying and reselling and have made virtual and real money for almost a decade (from the age of around 7) on websites such as swapit.co.uk, eBay and even fifa ultimate team. I genuinely feel passionate about trading and buy low sell high, so I was wondering if there were any jobs which match up to my interests? Investment banking sounds like a shout but I don't know if I would be able to handle the hours. Are there any other high paying jobs which would suit me?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by dakofsta)
    This question may sound juvenile but please appreciate the little knowledge I have in this field.
    I currently enjoy buying and reselling and have made virtual and real money for almost a decade (from the age of around 7) on websites such as swapit.co.uk, eBay and even fifa ultimate team. I genuinely feel passionate about trading and buy low sell high, so I was wondering if there were any jobs which match up to my interests? Investment banking sounds like a shout but I don't know if I would be able to handle the hours. Are there any other high paying jobs which would suit me?
    Trading

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Investment management or equity research are good if you want to look for companies that are too cheap in the stock and have potential to increase in price. They both pay very well- possible to earn £100000 a year after 10 years of experience.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Trapz99)
    Investment management or equity research are good if you want to look for companies that are too cheap in the stock and have potential to increase in price. They both pay very well- possible to earn £100000 a year after 10 years of experience.
    10 years is a bit much, more like 3-5

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    10 years is a bit much, more like 3-5

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Really? Woah. Even for investment management?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Trapz99)
    Really? Woah. Even for investment management?
    Ofc

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If you've got the right skills like analytical, numerical, communication, teamwork, client wooing, stress handling then consider becoming a trader or a salesman. But you also need a certain personality for these jobs- something you can't just learn.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cashcash871)
    If you've got the right skills like analytical, numerical, communication, teamwork, client wooing, stress handling then consider becoming a trader or a salesman. But you also need a certain personality for these jobs- something you can't just learn.
    What are the hours, salary, job availability and job security like?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    What are the hours, salary, job availability and job security like?
    Hours are 6-7am til 5-7pm depending on desk and product

Job availability is low, it is extremely competitive to get any front office job let alone trading. Good thing is, if you have the profile cashcash outlined and great technical chops (doing a good numerical degree from a good uni), you could apply to quant hedge funds and proprietary trading houses too. But overall, it should be possible to land something if you fit the bill - bear in mind, interviews are quite brutal. This category also might take a hit post brexit.

Lol job security. If you make a mistake more than once (or a big enough one) you're gone.

Salary is obviously solid but entirely dependant on performance.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to finance and bankingGuide to accountancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Quick link:

Unanswered finance and accountancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.