Turn on thread page Beta

How does this make any sense? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    So I shopping at my local co-op and i noticed a single mars bar is 63p, but a multipack mar bars is £1.
    Multipack features 4 mars bars.
    I mean it is utterly stupid

ReputationRep:
    Are you moaning about how the single bar costs too much? Otherwise I don't get it...

ReputationRep:
    Maybe its on offer but yeah people will buy either xDD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wiggly)
    Are you moaning about how the single bar costs too much? Otherwise I don't get it...

Yes

ReputationRep:
    Mars sets the costs. Stores just follow it.

Multipack bars are sometimes smaller though...
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    thats what i dont understand,how are multi packs cheaper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ihatePE)
    thats what i dont understand,how are multi packs cheaper
    They're not. 63p is cheaper than 100p. Multi-packs are more cost efficient.

ReputationRep:
    Blame the guy in your avatar :teehee:
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    They're not. 63p is cheaper than 100p. Multi-packs are more cost efficient.
    well ok...so how come multi packs are more cost efficient?

ReputationRep:
    I think it's because when you're buying an individual one, you're selecting what you want. But a four pack is like...a four pack...you can't select...argh, I can't word this!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ihatePE)
    well ok...so how come multi packs are more cost efficient?
    A single bar @63p x 4 = £2.52
    A multi-pack of four is is £1
    You're saving £1.52 by buying the multi pack instead of four individuals, but 63p is still less than £1 so you're still saving 37p by buying the single.

Wait what are you even asking?

ReputationRep:
    I'm amazed that it bothered you enough to create this thread

ReputationRep:
    You're saving £1.52 by buying the multi pack instead of four individuals, but 63p is still less than £1 so you're still saving 37p by buying the single.

In morrisons you could buy a multipack of 8 for £2
    My local co-op is expensive

ReputationRep:
    It does make you realise how ridiculously people are being overcharged if Mars can afford to sell 4 for £1

When companies get sneaky it's irritating. Like during December last year, I remember our local store were selling the Jaffa Cake huge tube thing. I compared the price of that, with the price of actually buying individual packets of Jaffa Cakes equalling the same weight and it worked out as like 50p cheaper to buy the separate packs lmao.

I spend far too long in Supermarkets sometimes trying to figure out what is the best deal based on weight/multipack.

ReputationRep:
    Because if multipacks were more expensive or equal priced per bar, you would buy them individually, so there would be no point in multipacks.

It's to make you buy more.*

ReputationRep:
    It's only cost effective if you wanted 4 mars bars. If you went into a shop only wanting 1 mars bar and you come out with 4, having spent more money, then you've spent money you otherwise wouldn't have spent. And remember that while it seems like you're making a big 'saving' on cost per item, it costs them probably next to nothing to actually make the bars. So, they've got 30p more of your money (minus production cost etc) and you've spent more on 3 extra bars you didn't want.

It's like buying clothes in a sale. They're only a good deal if you wanted them when they were full price and waited. If not, you're still giving up your money for something you don't want very much, and they're making profit from you doing that. If you want one mars bar, just buy one. If you think you'll eat the others during the week or they're something you eat often, then it's worth buying the multipack instead of buying 4 singles over the course of the week.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador

im asking what would the company gain from giving two options, cheaper with 4 in a pack than buy 4 seperately?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Inexorably)
    It does make you realise how ridiculously people are being overcharged if Mars can afford to sell 4 for £1

When companies get sneaky it's irritating. Like during December last year, I remember our local store were selling the Jaffa Cake huge tube thing. I compared the price of that, with the price of actually buying individual packets of Jaffa Cakes equalling the same weight and it worked out as like 50p cheaper to buy the separate packs lmao.

I spend far too long in Supermarkets sometimes trying to figure out what is the best deal based on weight/multipack.
    You are the hero we need.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blue_Mason)
    So I shopping at my local co-op and i noticed a single mars bar is 63p, but a multipack mar bars is £1.
    Multipack features 4 mars bars.
    I mean it is utterly stupid
    Does the multi pack have smaller sized bars

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ImNotReallyMe)
    Does the multi pack have smaller sized bars

Yes, but them being smaller is less troublesome.

Poll
Do you like exams?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.