The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Is it just me who lol'ed at the words 'the aftermath'?
Reply 61
If it died after a week it was a bit of a **** hamster in the first place.

I wouldn't die if you left me in a cage with a giant cucumber for a week.

My fish have managed to survive despite me not feeding them for 2+ years.

Similarly, my cat brought me dead birds, so were I to run out of food for whatever reason she would have provided for me.

All in all, your hamster was crap and you're better off without it.
Reply 62
Wez
If it died after a week it was a bit of a **** hamster in the first place.

I wouldn't die if you left me in a cage with a giant cucumber for a week.

My fish have managed to survive despite me not feeding them for 2+ years.

Similarly, my cat brought me dead birds, so were I to run out of food for whatever reason she would have provided for me.

All in all, your hamster was crap and you're better off without it.

He was the best hamster you could ever wish for. No matter what you say.
Anonymous
He was the best hamster you could ever wish for. No matter what you say.

You have my sympathies, though if he/she/it meant so much to you you should've fed it.
Reply 64
Margerie Dawes
:mad: :confused: Who negged me (three cowardly people) just trying to be of help. Along come three little turds (probably in cahoots) with no integrity, honesty or decency negged me without a name or explanation.

You deserved it. And, no, it wasn't me. I'd rather put bleach in your drink than neg rep you.

:rolleyes:
WTF:mad: I've been negged six times plus one positive(thanks:smile: ) for offering helpful advice. You guys suck, armchair critics where my lush big helpful posts get negged againt your one liners sitting on your self righteous thrones.
thesard
You deserved it. And, no, it wasn't me. I'd rather put bleach in your drink than neg rep you.

:rolleyes:

Erm yeah I've already explained that so :confused:
Reply 67
Gosh, how tragic?! That poor hamster.
I've not really much advice to give, except don't keep animals if you can't take care of them properly.
You are the worst "friend" ever!! What would it be like if I forgot to feed my 1 year old daughter?!

I can see it now......"She didn't make any noise so I totally forgot about her....."
Gotta say, I've had about 12 hamsters, (obviously not one after the other, that would make for very short life spans obviously, I've kept groups etc), and it would take more than a week's neglect to kill one.

Natural causes/wet tail is more likely. Not under feeding.
Well, i killed my fish.. it was tragic, poor ****ing thing i think I mashed its brain when i poured it into room temp water from cold.

Gah, I felt a teeny bit guilty but then i flushed it and we have a saniflow.. i effectively blended it and bis of fish came back out of the u bend, i felt a bit worse then.

whoops.
Aw poor Hammy, RIP.

It'll be doing the hamster dance in heaven with all the other hamsters :biggrin:
You know fleur is right, that is actually pretty neglectful! Imagine if you were that hamster, all alone. Exercising, then waiting patiently to be fed.

But alas ... :frown: Tbh I feel hella sorry for him and the people who brought him up. You kinda remind me of this guy from my class in year 12 who forgot to feed his baby chicken during a science experience (you'd think by age 17 he'd be slightly more responsible! Grr that made me mad just thinking about it, I'll have to visit a happier thread now).

EDIT: just realised you do feel ashamed, well at least you recognised where you went wrong :smile: And yes hopefully he is now in hamster heaven :biggrin:
I forgot to feed my Sea Monkeys once and they all died.
I felt so guilty - I loved them so much, they were my best friends.
I must say I can't BELIEVE the abuse the original poster is taking here.

Considering people have already admitted to leaving their hamster for more than a week and it's been fine, and the fact that it seems pretty clear it got Wet Tail (which in my experience it's extremely difficult to sort out anyway since the hamster is likely to die within a day of symptoms appearing), it's a shambles that so many uneducated people are already giving this person heaps of abuse.

OP, you said your hamster was a year and a half old, but most Syrians can only expect to live to two or three years anyway, so I'm confident that (other than this week of course) you treated it great.

I'm also annoyed at the people who are slagging them off for saying the hamster was their best friend. Many people have loads of friends but still see their pet as their best mate because they can tell it all their secrets and they know it'll never tell anyone. It may sound sad, but unless you've had a pet you won't understand the bond. So you've got no right to make fun of them, especially at a time like this when they've just lost that friend. You should be ashamed of yourselves, but I have the feeling you won't be. So be it.

Finally, Margerie Dawes, if you can't understand why you've been negged by so many people then it should really be you who's getting the abuse and not the OP. The lass/lad's hamster died and they're crushed about it, so you proceed to tell everyone how it's just an animal and how you put bleach in a hamster's drinking water. That's just beyond sick.

The difference between you and the OP is that the OP feels terrible about what happened and, more importantly, the death may not have been their fault but may in fact have been Wet Tail which they'd have been unlikely to cure even if they'd been there watching it 24/7. However, you went out of your way to deliberately kill your hamster because you were "bored" with it, which means it should be you who's getting all the abuse on here.

Guys, check the facts out before having a go at the OP. Yes, it's a bit daft leaving a hamster for a week but nobody even knows the circumstances surrounding this. The OP has already said that they usually check on the hamster every night and morning, but that they hadn't been in their bedroom for the past week, so it seems they've been staying in another house or been on holiday or something and their mind's been on something else. Yet everyone seems to have missed that. It's not like the OP was going to bed every night and completely ignoring the hamster cage facing them.

And for the people saying "I hope you don't have kids" and "what if it was a baby" - for God's sake people, grow up. There's a world of difference between the two and I'm sure the OP isn't that stupid.

All I'm asking is that you all check out the facts before kicking the OP while they're already down, because from what I've seen it seems likely that (given it was a Syrian and the symptoms seem right) the hamster died of Wet Tail and there would've been very little they could have done about it anyway.

OP, PM me if you want some proper help and don't keep putting yourself down, because it may not have been your fault, regardless of what you're getting told on here. You need sympathy at a time like this, not people queuing up to have a go at you while hiding behind the glass wall of the Internet.
Reply 75
:hugs: to OP,anyone can make a mistake,and I'm sorry not many people could sympathise with your situation and could only criticise you. Don't feel bad, you did all you could and we all mess up sometimes ;console;
No I dont own a corgi, Had a hamster, it died cuz I ignored it. Go on then, go on report me, I'm English, try and deport me!
King Hippo
I must say I can't BELIEVE the abuse the original poster is taking here.

snip[

Do you watch Scrubs?
DanGrover
Do you watch Scrubs?

No.
Reply 79
Anonymous
He was more of a friend than any of my real friends.

Are you taking the piss?

Latest