Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm about to start studying at the Open university and wondered if there are any books out there I can read to bring my basic science skills up to scratch? Everything from GCSE level onwards. I just want to be sure my knowledge is up to par.

Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    The CGP revision guides for physics are an absolute God-send If possible, get the ones that say 'Revision and practice' because answering questions on each topic really helps to aid your understanding.

ReputationRep:
    What's your current level of study?

The OU is very good at bringing people with different educational histories up to speed... but I fancy Tom Duncans Advanced Physics as a self study book for A level knowledge.
    User 'Rather-cynical' found a scanned copy online (but there's plenty of second hand paper copies around) http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...319&highlight=

the biggest stumbling block for a lot of people doing undergraduate physics is the maths required tbh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mbch1809)
    I'm about to start studying at the Open university and wondered if there are any books out there I can read to bring my basic science skills up to scratch? Everything from GCSE level onwards. I just want to be sure my knowledge is up to par.

Thanks in advance
    I am not sure if GCSE/A-Level books would be of much help. They are, in most of the cases, simply an oversimplification of topics. I would instead recommend calculus based text books at an introductory level. There are many excellent physics textbooks out there.
    All you need to do is brush up your maths (calculus, geometry, algebra and trigonometry) as a prerequisite.

-University Physics by Young and Freedman was my first (and current) physics textbook. The concepts are presented at fundamental level.

- Physics for Scientists and Engineers by Mosca and Tipler is also great.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the reply

I actually own both of them textbooks. But I meant more in the sense of learning very basic Pysics such as learning about Electrons, Nutrons, etc. Like high school. Just so I know I what i'm reading about when studying physics at a higher level.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: July 18, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.