The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Starting Open Plus in Physics this October. Any fellow students doing the same?

As the title says. Although I'm debating which University to go to. Would be great to hear off people who are doing the same, and possibly stay in conact to help each other get through it. Might even end up at the same university. Always good to start networking :smile:
I suggest you use the search function (top right) to find out of there are any OpenPlus students on TSR.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
I have and it they all (barely any tbh) dates back to many months ago. So they have already started. looking for people who are starting this October
I assume your talking about physics, so just food for thought...

2 years of a brick university is 9k + 9k + accomadation fees, maybe looking at 30k for year 2 and 3. Ouch.
You get a full honours degree with IOP accreditation either way, also going to a brick uni through open plus increases your study duration by 1 year. Ouch again.

If you want the uni experience, Have you thought about smashing out a undergrad degree then going for a masters?
Reply 4
Well the Uni fees aren't a problem as I have a thorough understanding on what is meant to be paid off. And if I'm earning that amount, I definitely won't be complaining. Also my job as well as responsibilities at the moment only let me study 60 credits a year, so it would take me 6 years to study. I'm also doing it as Sheffield have a Physics & Astrophysics program which I'm highly interested in. Another reason is that I want to move away and have a fresh start and leave everything behind. i can also meet a lot of new people, etc and i really fancy possibly studying abroad. there's many factors into why I chose the Open plus route
I had the same thought process. But after preparing for my level 2 exams, I thought... why the hell would I put myself through this again for 2 more years when I can be done and reach my goal next year. If I could place a bet on you doing the same, I would ha. Aslong as you end up with an IOP degree, who cares where it came from. You could always do a Masters or PhD if you want the student experience.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6
I guess I'll see as time goes on. I can decide that option when it comes to it. But I also fancy studying abroad. So a lot of factors to weigh up :smile:
Reply 7
Just bumping up the post.
Reply 8
I've applied to Sheffield as the partner uni, just waiting to hear back :smile:
Reply 10
What are you wanting to do? Plain physics, or a different branch? I'm going into first year at Sheffield to do physics and astrophysics, and I can skip the math and practical module at level 2. So will take me 2 years at open instead of 3. So same amount of time overall

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah, just plain Bsc physics
I thought at Sheffield you could only do plain physics or physics with philosophy on the open plus scheme? I didn't think physics with astrophysics was possible on open plus
Reply 12
All the physics options are open, but it's only the 2 you mentioned you can start at the second year. The other courses you have to start in the first year. But after long discussions with Lee at Sheffield, we're working out how I can study less at the open as MST224 I wouldn't need as if study math in the first year. Overall I should do 120 credits over 2 years rather than 150

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest