Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Phone vibrated in middle of GCSE Exam and I put my hand up to honestly give it in. watch

ReputationRep:
    I am quite stupid! I was sitting my last GCSE Exam of Year 11 (EDEXCEL Statistics Written Paper), and I accidentally brought my phone into the exam. The reason I brought the phone in was because I normally leave the phone in my bag, so never listen to the invigilator when he/she says "This is your last chance to hand in any unauthorised items". Instead I just read the front of the exam paper and fill in my name etc. Halfway though the exam, my phone began to vibrate. No one else heard it but I could feel it in my pocket and was so scared! I honestly put my hand up and got the invigilator to take it from me. The head invigilator checked my phone after to ensure there was no foul play. She confirmed that the vibrations were caused by messages from a Facebook group chat. The messages did not contain any information relevant to the exam. My deputy headmaster said that the exam board would have to take action, which could range from the deduction of a few marks to being disqualified from the paper. I am an honest guy who goes to a Grammar School, so have always been hard-working. The deputy headmaster said all of this information as well as my mock exam marks would be sent to the exam board. I was predicted an A* in Statistics. I know what I did was stupid, so I would prefer if people didn't reiterate that, thanks! If the exam board choose to spare my life and decide to deduct a few marks, what is the minimum that they can deduct? I am just praying that my honesty in the matter will urge them to be more forgiving!

ReputationRep:
    if you get punished for being honest then its a bit harsh but the whole phone situation is pretty deep concerning exams so don't be surprised if you get punished considering your phone went off during the exam :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fefssdf)
    if you get punished for being honest then its a bit harsh but the whole phone situation is pretty deep concerning exams so don't be surprised if you get punished considering your phone went off during the exam :/
    Thank you for your response! I am totally aware that normal practise is disqualification but just hope that my honesty is in some way appreciated. If marks are deducted, what is the minimum number the board can take?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dp00)
    Thank you for your response! I am totally aware that normal practise is disqualification but just hope that my honesty is in some way appreciated. If marks are deducted, what is the minimum number the board can take?
    I'm really not sure; I would be tempted to ring up the exam board and ask like a hypothetical question concerning mark deductions... don't be surprised if you get disqualified though but even if you do don't worry too much like it could be an A-level exam and statistics is more of an ' extra' gcse so try not to get too worked up about it I'm sure the exam board will just their discretion given your'e a very capable student but prepare for the worst x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dp00)
    I am quite stupid! I was sitting my last GCSE Exam of Year 11 (EDEXCEL Statistics Written Paper), and I accidentally brought my phone into the exam. The reason I brought the phone in was because I normally leave the phone in my bag, so never listen to the invigilator when he/she says "This is your last chance to hand in any unauthorised items". Instead I just read the front of the exam paper and fill in my name etc. Halfway though the exam, my phone began to vibrate. No one else heard it but I could feel it in my pocket and was so scared! I honestly put my hand up and got the invigilator to take it from me. The head invigilator checked my phone after to ensure there was no foul play. She confirmed that the vibrations were caused by messages from a Facebook group chat. The messages did not contain any information relevant to the exam. My deputy headmaster said that the exam board would have to take action, which could range from the deduction of a few marks to being disqualified from the paper. I am an honest guy who goes to a Grammar School, so have always been hard-working. The deputy headmaster said all of this information as well as my mock exam marks would be sent to the exam board. I was predicted an A* in Statistics. I know what I did was stupid, so I would prefer if people didn't reiterate that, thanks! If the exam board choose to spare my life and decide to deduct a few marks, what is the minimum that they can deduct? I am just praying that my honesty in the matter will urge them to be more forgiving!
    Whatever will happen will happen no point guessing what will happen. But the minimum they will do is deduct marks as no phones are allowed

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry M8, your in the Clear, they won't pick on you for Hoenesty is the best Policy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Horsedobbin)
    Don't worry M8, your in the Clear, they won't pick on you for Hoenesty is the best Policy.
    thanks for the optimism 😅😅😅 but i dont think the exam board thinks like that!!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.