Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

I need advice on dealing with a toxic best friend watch

ReputationRep:
    So me and the girl I consider my best friend, I'll call her Sarah, have been friends for about 5 years. We're both 17, but she acts like a complete petty child. The problem is, we have fun together and always have such a laugh, we have so much in common but sometimes she turns into a completely manipulative, petty *****. On my Birthday, she texted me half an hour before we arranged to meet up saying it was too cold?? She makes promises to me like oh i'll go to college tomorrow and be with you because I know you'll be alone, then not go. When she's with her other best friend who I don't really know, they both have a habit of walking off and leaving me. The problem is, she's one of my only friends in college and I don't know what to do in September. Right now, she messaged me something this morning asking if I told someone something about someone, which I didn't and she thought I did so I replied and she told me to chill, and I said well I don't like being accused of stuff I didn't do, then she replied I wasn't accusing you. I messaged her several times apologising for overreacting which I didn't but I don't want to lose her as a friend, and she's ignored all of them.

So my question is, should I just give up on her and cut her off, despite the fact we get on so well and she's one of my only friends in college, because I give so much to her and she always hurts me, or should I just accept her for who she is.

ReputationRep:
    bump because I feel so sad right now and I just have nowhere to turn

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LillyFaye)
    So me and the girl I consider my best friend, I'll call her Sarah, have been friends for about 5 years. We're both 17, but she acts like a complete petty child. The problem is, we have fun together and always have such a laugh, we have so much in common but sometimes she turns into a completely manipulative, petty *****. On my Birthday, she texted me half an hour before we arranged to meet up saying it was too cold?? She makes promises to me like oh i'll go to college tomorrow and be with you because I know you'll be alone, then not go. When she's with her other best friend who I don't really know, they both have a habit of walking off and leaving me. The problem is, she's one of my only friends in college and I don't know what to do in September. Right now, she messaged me something this morning asking if I told someone something about someone, which I didn't and she thought I did so I replied and she told me to chill, and I said well I don't like being accused of stuff I didn't do, then she replied I wasn't accusing you. I messaged her several times apologising for overreacting which I didn't but I don't want to lose her as a friend, and she's ignored all of them.

So my question is, should I just give up on her and cut her off, despite the fact we get on so well and she's one of my only friends in college, because I give so much to her and she always hurts me, or should I just accept her for who she is.
    She's not a true friend. Keep searching and make new friends and find true one. Good luck xDD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ordo)
    She's not a true friend. Keep searching and make new friends and find true one. Good luck xDD
    thank you The thing is, I don't think she intentionally hurts me, it's just in her nature to push people away, I will try to make new friends next year though!

ReputationRep:
    thank you The thing is, I don't think she intentionally hurts me, it's just in her nature to push people away, I will try to make new friends next year though!
    You're welcome. If that what you really want, just talk to her about this problem face to face and hopefully it works out well. I dont mean not talking to her on message or something - just dont trust her everything. xDD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ordo)
    You're welcome. If that what you really want, just talk to her about this problem face to face and hopefully it works out well. I dont mean not talking to her on message or something - just dont trust her everything. xDD
    I have confronted her in the past and she turns it to make me look like the problem, but you know what, I don't want it. I shouldn't have to deal with her ****.

ReputationRep:
    I have confronted her in the past and she turns it to make me look like the problem, but you know what, I don't want it. I shouldn't have to deal with her ****.
    I understand and its better to move on XDDD

ReputationRep:
    She's not a real friend. As hard as it is it would be my suggestion that you join some clubs and societies of things that really interest you. You'll meet new people with similar interests and make new friends. A real friend doesn't cause that much hurt. Please stop apologising to her all the time and taking the blame if it's not you. It will destroy the bit of self esteem you have left. If she's really your friend she will be pleased for you. If she's not then she will drift away and leave you to get on with it. A few good quality friends is much better than lots who don't really care. I wish you all the best and good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sammylou40)
    She's not a real friend. As hard as it is it would be my suggestion that you join some clubs and societies of things that really interest you. You'll meet new people with similar interests and make new friends. A real friend doesn't cause that much hurt. Please stop apologising to her all the time and taking the blame if it's not you. It will destroy the bit of self esteem you have left. If she's really your friend she will be pleased for you. If she's not then she will drift away and leave you to get on with it. A few good quality friends is much better than lots who don't really care. I wish you all the best and good luck
    this

ReputationRep:
    I would definitey not be friends with her - you arent benefitting at all from this and honestly I'd rather have 0 friends then friends like her

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 17, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.