?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
B1016 – Airport Expansion Bill 2016, Nigel Farage MEP MP
Airport Expansion Bill 2016

A
BILL
TO

To allow expansion at airport in the Untied Kingdom

BE IT ENACTED by The Queen's most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Commons in this present Parliament assembled, in accordance with the provisions of the Parliament Acts 1911 and 1949, and by the authority of the same, as follows:-

1 Heathrow Airport

(1) Heathrow Airport expansion will be authorised.
(a) An extension to the northern runway
(b) A new runway to the North
(c) A new runway to the South-west.
(d) Heathrow Airport can exercise a maximum of two of the above options.
(2) An extra terminal to the north-west of Heathrow Airport will be authorised.
(3) An extra terminal to the South will be authorised if;
(a) option 1(c) is chosen.
(4) Homes and property must be purchased for 110% of their current market value as will assessed by an independent estate agent.

2 Gatwick Airport

(1) A second runway at Gatwick Airport will be authorised to be built in line with recommendations from the report by the Airports Commission.
(2) A new terminal will be authorised between the current runway and the new runway.

3 Heathrow operations

(1) No operating constraints will be imposed at Heathrow
(2) A new fire station must be built on Heathrow property near the new runway to maintain the same level of coverage as is currently provided with a capacity increase, and to meet CAA and ICAO requirements.
(i) The fire station and equipment will be funded by the UK government.

4 Air Passenger Duty

(1) Air Passenger Duty will be scrapped

5 Commencement, short title and extent

(1) This Act shall come into force on the 1st April 2017.
(2) This Act may be cited as the Aviation Act 2016.
(3) This Act extends to the United Kingdom

Notes

Costings

Based on current values the direct cost to the treasury of removing Air Passenger Duty will be £3bn but this will be offset by the boosts to the UK economy leading to higher tax revenues from tourism and the extra 60,000 jobs created. The long-term net boost to the economy can be used to research newer, green technologies to produce energy.

As it is private development funded by Heathrow Airport Holdings Plc with private investors it will be at minimal cost to the government.

The fire station and equipment will cost below £15m.

Information

A report by PWC reveals that a decrease in APD will see the economy boosted of £16bn as well as creating an extra 60,000 jobs. The report concludes the £500m cost on businesses deters investment, and UK based airlines pay as much as 25% of their revenues in APD than EU or foreign airlines airlines operating in the UK giving a competitive disadvantage to British airlines.

This bill aims to reduce taxes on flying to provide that boost to the economy while at the same time penalising the worst polluters more. Airlines, aircraft manufacturers, and engine manufacturers will have an incentive to produce more fuel efficient, quieter aircraft and engines. Options 1(1) and 1(2) are in line with options shortlisted on the report by the Airports Commission established by the government in 2012.

PWC Report: http://www.pwc.com/gx/en/psrc/united...ger-duty.jhtml
Same PWC Report but a free version of it: http://corporate.easyjet.com/~/media...y-Abridged.pdf
Cost of fire station: http://www.building.co.uk/kier-secur...058866.article
APD Revenue: http://www.statista.com/graphic/1/28...x-receipts.jpg
Ordo
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Yay! More chemo trails xDDD
Quamquam123
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Gatwick and Heathrow will probably both be expanded at some point but you are suggesting at Heathrow building 2 new runways, an extension to a runway and 2 new terminals and at Gatwick building another runway and another terminal. Building all these things at the same time will cause major disruption and very high levels of pollution. Also, building all these things will cost considerably more than £3bn.
Aph
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
No
Joep95
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Nay

I do believe we need to expand at least Heathrow but doing everything in this bill should not happen.
username1524603
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Quamquam123)
Gatwick and Heathrow will probably both be expanded at some point but you are suggesting at Heathrow building 2 new runways, an extension to a runway and 2 new terminals and at Gatwick building another runway and another terminal. Building all these things at the same time will cause major disruption and very high levels of pollution. Also, building all these things will cost considerably more than £3bn.
Read the bill, the maximum extension at Heathrow Airport is two extra runways with two terminals, and at Gatwick Airport the expansion is one runway with one terminal. The different with the plans in this bill is the extra runway, and terminal at Heathrow, the rest is what is recommended by the Airports Commission.
PetrosAC
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
Read the bill, the maximum extension at Heathrow Airport is two extra runways with two terminals, and at Gatwick Airport the expansion is one runway with one terminal. The different with the plans in this bill is the extra runway, and terminal at Heathrow, the rest is what is recommended by the Airports Commission.
I don't think the extra runway and terminal at Heathrow are necessary. I'd potentially look to the North for further expansion from what's recommended by the airports commission.

For that reason, Nay at the moment, as this bill being defeated doesn't rule out expansion.
Joep95
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
My main objection would be the possibility of Heathrow having 4 runways at the moment, if you changed the bill so that it allowed the north runway to expand and either of the 2 new runways to be built I would accept that.

I will have to look at the recommendations about gatwick.

I would consider supporting abolishing air passenger duty although I would prefer it to just be reduced.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Haven't we recently seen something similar (last term, either way, a provision aye pending reading the details, unless Rakas writes up his proposals soon
username1524603
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by PetrosAC)
I don't think the extra runway and terminal at Heathrow are necessary. I'd potentially look to the North for further expansion from what's recommended by the airports commission.

For that reason, Nay at the moment, as this bill being defeated doesn't rule out expansion.
The thing with that point is airport in the North is not operating anywhere near to full capacity, making expansion in the North a waste of money: the demand is in the South.
PetrosAC
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
The thing with that point is airport in the North is not operating anywhere near to full capacity, making expansion in the North a waste of money: the demand is in the South.
You make a valid point actually. I still don't believe anything on top of what's recommended is necessary, though I could be convinced
username1524603
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
You make a valid point actually. I still don't believe anything on top of what's recommended is necessary, though I could be convinced
(Original post by joecphillips)
My main objection would be the possibility of Heathrow having 4 runways at the moment, if you changed the bill so that it allowed the north runway to expand and either of the 2 new runways to be built I would accept that.I will have to look at the recommendations about gatwick.I would consider supporting abolishing air passenger duty although I would prefer it to just be reduced.
I believe Britain is inhibited by the future, by the time a third runway is built the same debate will have to be had about a third runway. I do not think there is anything wrong with Heathrow having four runways, it is better to build two more runways today because demand for travelling by air is not going to decrease, it is better to future-proof airports today, to stop Britain's economy losing out on billions of pounds tomorrow when the debate is taking place, and because housing prices will only increase in real terms with time, it is cheaper to build the runways today because buying the land needed will be less expensive.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Look at it this way, expansion is good for the economy and needs doing. Doing all this (bar the fact a great repeal will probably get rid before it's gully utilised) means we don't need to worry about governments farting about and putting off making a decision. By the time heathrow is approved IRL it will be time to consider the next expansion

Posted from TSR Mobile
Tanqueray91
  • Study Helper
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I definitely agree with expanding any and all airports which have a significant impact on our economy - both Gatwick and Heathrow are significant airports to us, and doing this would be beneficial. It's not like we're saying we should add a runway to an insignificant airport like Norwich or something like that ffs!
TheDefiniteArticle
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Nay, due to the scrapping of Air Passenger Duty.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
Nay, due to the scrapping of Air Passenger Duty.
Having not actually read the bill fully uet (hence the only provisional aye) seeing this makes me Ben more supportive of it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Joep95
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by mobbsy91)
I definitely agree with expanding any and all airports which have a significant impact on our economy - both Gatwick and Heathrow are significant airports to us, and doing this would be beneficial. It's not like we're saying we should add a runway to an insignificant airport like Norwich or something like that ffs!
Let's expand Durham tees valley.
SakuraCayla
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Nay, maybe if the Heathrow Hub idea was used instead, but not this proposal.
Wellzi
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I can't think of a more boring and drab issue than gatwick and heathrow
barnetlad
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Nay. Already EU air quality limits are breached at Heathrow.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (109)
28.02%
No (280)
71.98%

Watched Threads