Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How to tell friend she's annoying without being a ***** Watch

ReputationRep:
    My housemate got a new boyfriend a few months ago and so obviously he's been staying at our flat quite often.

Thing is, literally everything he says makes her giggle hysterically, she's attached to my bedroom and it's really irritating. Tonight I went wandering around town for an hour and a half while everything was closed deliberately to give them the flat to themselves in the hope they would "get it out their system" while I was out and I've come home to her giggling even more loudly and often!

I know it sounds petty but it's starting to feel like torture, even my boyfriend says it wound him up and he's only heard it once! I've tried to mention it to her gently, you know: "Boy he must be funny, I hear you laughing a LOT ;p" but it doesn't seem to have gone in. How do I tell her she's driving me crazy without raining on her parade?*

ReputationRep:
    Looks like someone's got the Giggles oh dear ; I guess it should die down after a while and who knows they might split up and then you might have to listen to crying every day instead

ReputationRep:
    Best not to come across as self-absorbed or self-centered. Maybe mention whichever of his jokes you find funny and whichever doesn't make you laugh. Better to laugh with than to be laughed at.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lauren_Summer)
    My housemate got a new boyfriend a few months ago and so obviously he's been staying at our flat quite often.

Thing is, literally everything he says makes her giggle hysterically, she's attached to my bedroom and it's really irritating. Tonight I went wandering around town for an hour and a half while everything was closed deliberately to give them the flat to themselves in the hope they would "get it out their system" while I was out and I've come home to her giggling even more loudly and often!

I know it sounds petty but it's starting to feel like torture, even my boyfriend says it wound him up and he's only heard it once! I've tried to mention it to her gently, you know: "Boy he must be funny, I hear you laughing a LOT ;p" but it doesn't seem to have gone in. How do I tell her she's driving me crazy without raining on her parade?*
    I didn't realise it is illegal to laugh at something or someone you find funny... There isn't a lot you can do about it unless they're violating noise laws. In which case I'm sure if you knocked on their door and asked if they kept the laughter down they would oblige if you were trying to sleep. Otherwise lighten up a little

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 17, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.