Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Rorschach II's Summer Bucket List 2016! Watch

ReputationRep:
    Rorschach II's List

Hey everyone! I finished my A-level exams a while back, and still have loads of time left in the summer holidays to do something useful! Although I think I could have done better in my exams (debating the EU referendum took priority for me ) there's not a chance in hell I'm going to waste any more of this holiday, and this happens to be a really good motivator.

I have created a surplus of things to do, and I will replace things in the list with a cheaper alternative if I find my budget is tight.

Not started | In progress | Finished | Cancelled

1. Read McMafia: Seriously Organised Crime (non-fiction).
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I'm not sure how I came across this book, but reviews portray it as a gem to understand international organised crime and the so-called "shadow economy" in the world, therefore it's dubbed an essential book to understand the world.

I've only read the introduction so far, and I'm loving it, but I'm finding it difficult to allocate time to read it, despite not doing much at the moment. (Actually I blame my TSR addiction. )

Hopefully this will rectify that.

The only downsides seem to be that it isn't sourced or referenced in the footnotes of each page, and that the author has the tendency to go off on a tangent sometimes according to reviews on goodreads.com.
    2. Read The Knife of Never Letting Go (fiction).
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I was recommended this book by my sister after I asked her to recommend me a fiction. I wanted to start reading books to expand my vocabulary and literacy skills, in also an enjoyable way.
    3. Read the German news website www.faz.net for a minimum of 15 minutes a day.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I love learning German, but I find it hard to learn in a structured and consistent manner. I set the amount per day for only 15 minutes, because it is the first few minutes, getting into it, which is the challenging part.

Any more then I'll be too easily distracted and it wouldn't happen. And anyway I could always add more time to this over time anyway.

I'll then paraphrase what news I read about on the day, just to prove that I have done it.
    4. Watch this and make a review on TSR.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I desperately want to watch this for my birthday this year! I've been hyped up about this and absolutely love Margot Robbie as Harley Quinn! Deadshot (Will Smith), Captain Boomerang and Amanda Waller (Voila Davis) seem absolutely amazing in the trailers as well!

My facial expression right now: vv

5. Watch a romcom (perhaps Leap Year)(I haven’t watched one in my life).
    Spoiler:
    Show
    This is more of an obligation than a joy . I just feel that I should watch one, or I'm cutting myself short by denying variety in my life.

Amy Adams is a good actress anyway, so if it turns out to be bad, it should be tolerable to watch.
    6. Finish watching “Ajin”, an anime.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    The animation-style of Ajin might seem a bit unusual at first, because Ajin was produced using CGI instead of the standard way of scanning in drawing I believe. It's also based on a weird unique and original premise.

Many years ago in Africa on a battlefield a new species was discovered; beings who are immortal by means of regeneration. A price is then kind of put on their heads, and then the protagonist and the rest of Japan finds out he is an Ajin.

I've currently watched 8 out of the 14 episodes.
    7. Write a fan fiction! (Daunting, I haven’t wrote any fiction since primary school. :eek:)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I will be writing a fan fiction which is a Game of Thrones season 6x10 fix-it.
    8. Draw a picture (more like sketch a picture.)(Also very daunting. )
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I haven't drawn a picture since Year 8 Art, which I find shameful (not judging anyone else though.)

So I will attempt to draw a picture in my summer holiday.
    9. Visit Cardiff Museum and take pictures.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    ^^
    10. Attend the Pride event in Cardiff on August the 13th.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I'm curious as to what one is like, so I will not pass up this opportunity when one is so close and convenient.
    11. Play a chess app for 20 minutes a day.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I want to utilise my mind, and eventually work my way up some levels on this app. I've heard there are also cognitive benefits, but I'm not too sure on the validity of these.
    12. Start a blog about UK politics.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I want to make an informative blog on UK politics. I wouldn't claim to be impartial, but I'll be glad if it could be counted as a valid source for news for some people.

This mainly comes about because of the EU referendum; after I actually thoroughly researched a point, I thought myself to be a good researcher, and I want to continue to do it for myself and others.
    13. Plant radish seeds and grow some radishes. (I want to grow sth that’s quick.)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I choose radishes to grow because they happen to grow quickly (like 30 days according to a Google search) and they happen to grow in wet weather! So I'll be able to post pictures of the yield (and perhaps the radishes at different stages or intervals.)
    14. Pick some wildflowers and take a picture of the collection.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    ^^
    15. Press some of these wildflowers.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I've always wanted to do this after I read about it.
    16. Eat a whole Ben and Jerry’s Ice Cream Tub by myself.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I haven't done it so far, whilst other members of my family have, so...

I feel like I'm missing out. :cry:
    17. Make flavoured popcorn.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Sounds like a cool thing to do?
    18. Make Eve’s pudding.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I was given it once when I was a guest at a relative's house, and I absolutely loved it; it is my favourite desert to date, and I want to replicate that.

I will be using the recipe at this link:
    http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/252606/eves-pudding
    19. Make Coq au vin.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    One of my favourite meals (dreamy.)

I will be making a simpler version of this recipe, because it looks expensive:
    http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1913655/coq-au-vin
    20. Make pizzas with naan breads as bases.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    ^^
    21. Print a T-Shirt on-line with Killer Frost on it.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I love Killer Frost. :love: :love:

22. Make animal balloons.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Haven't done it before, so meh, why not?
    23. Make Japanese brocade (origami).
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I was given this one origami book for my 8th birthday, and every year I've had a small period of getting really invested into it. I want to make some of the modular origami which looks magnificent.
    24. Make a kusudama (origami).
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Similar description to the Japanese brocade above, but this one appears to be much more difficult. Anyway the aim here is the product; I'm not doing any of this for the difficulty. I will be buying coloured paper to make this, to spicen things up.
    25. Release a Chinese lantern.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Haven't done it before as well, so I want to try it out and see it float away.
    26. Mix the Game of Thrones theme song “Light of the Seven” and upload the remixed version.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    It's my new favourite theme song; it is absolutely masterful.

From the episode 6x10.
    The original soundtrack can be found here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFK0yG8xG5I
    27. Sing a cover for the song “Always Running” by Kevin Sherwood. (I will delete if I sing awfully.)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    He's a great composer, and this is one of his songs that never gets old. I chose this one because I know the lyrics.

The original song can be found here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyAGNdghwrw
    28. Wake up and go to sleep at regular sensible times.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I've been staying up until like 6 and 7 o'clock in the morning some nights a week, and that's probably having horrible effects on my health, that I can only tank because I'm young. It's best not to make a habit out of this, which I have already done. I'm not an owl; I'm a human. (You can just check on my TSR post history for proof. ) There's also a lot more I could do in the day if I had a normal timetable.
    29. Adhere to a light exercise routine by the 30 Day Fitness Challenge android app.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    It's an opportune time to get fitter and healthier, with all of this time where I get to set the timetables. I also want to define my muscles; the route to which I can start now.
    30. Volunteer at my local Barnardo’s or Cancer Research UK charity.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I want to help others; I feel fortunate living in a home and whatnot, and I feel fortunate living in this country, and this is a time to get things done.
    31. Go a whole day without using any technology.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    That will be an unusual day for sure...
    line break

ReputationRep:
    Tuesday 19th July

Sorry for the late reply people! I'm gonna write as if I had just done this, because it is still fresh in my mind.

I created a timetable to which to adhere, which I will start on the 21st of July (there was some research to finish on the 20th of July about funding for science in the UK, and I also woke up really late on that day.)

The timetable is shown below, though I will note this is only applicable on the days on which I'm home. I decided to make it in LibreOffice Calc.

I also made a calender and a budget of sorts. The prices are sourced from the on-line stores.

set time to read McMafia
    set time to read fiction
    (can both be one reading block)

set time to read German news
    French Breakfast radish £1.22 (+ shipping?)
    www.ebay.co.uk/itm/French-Breakfast-Radish-Seeds-200-SEEDS-NON-GMO-/151836579291

Friday 22nd July –
    Visit Cardiff Museum (free)
    + gifts for two birthdays (£5 to £10 each)
    + Ben and Jerry's ice cream (£2.50 at Tesco, £4.00 elsewhere)

pop corn to make (£1.24 at Morrisons)

(To make Eve's pudding)
    6 Brambley apples required (£2.96 for 8 at Morrisons)
    + 200g unsalted butter (87p Morrisons brand/£1.70 Lurpak brand, both 250g)
    + 140g raisins [£1.57 for 500g)
    + 100g soft brown sugar (£1.35 for 500g)
    + 4 eggs (6 for 93p)
    + 200g self-raising flour (1.5kg for 45p)

(To make Coq au vin)
    I’ll forego Coq au vin for now, because it is looking quite pricy and some essential ingredients would probably have a one-off use…

Personalised T-shirt £14.99

(To make animal balloons) £3.49 for 100 ebay
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100x-mixed...25.m3641.l6368

Monday 8th - Thursday 11th, Monday 15th – Suicide Squad local cinema for £2.50
    Saturday 13th August – Pride Cymru (in Cardiff) £10.00 + booking fee (10% = £1) so £11.00 overall.
    I then went to purchase some items from e-bay (the radish seeds, the animal balloons, coloured paper and a Chinese lantern), all for really good prices, however when I reviewed my basket, many of the expected delivery dates were in the end of September, because like three were sourced from China!

So I never went through with the order; this has been a minor setback, but a setback nonetheless. I will have to buy any items from local stores.

This took me far longer than it should have, because I was extremely tired and groggy. I've figured out why; I bought camomile tea the previous day and I had drunk three cups of it because I liked it so much (re-using the same teabag; just refilling my cup with hot water.) But camomile is a mild sedative, helping you to get to sleep, so I wasn't doing myself any good drinking that.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.