The Student Room Group

Dreading going back to uni

I'll be going into my final year and quite honestly, I'm burnt out from working so hard for the first 3 years. I'm dreading going back, there's only 7 more weeks until I have to go back and the thought of it is already making me miserable. Between having to write a dissertation and sitting three other classes that I have absolutely zero interest in, I'm already praying the year away. At least third year had plenty of interesting classes, fourth year is just going to suck.Anyone else feeling the same? Or does anyone have any tips for how to get through a crap year?
Original post by GoingToBurst
I'll be going into my final year and quite honestly, I'm burnt out from working so hard for the first 3 years. I'm dreading going back, there's only 7 more weeks until I have to go back and the thought of it is already making me miserable. Between having to write a dissertation and sitting three other classes that I have absolutely zero interest in, I'm already praying the year away. At least third year had plenty of interesting classes, fourth year is just going to suck.Anyone else feeling the same? Or does anyone have any tips for how to get through a crap year?

7 weeks to go and you're thinking about it now. If you really don't like the prospect of it, don't think about it - at least now!!

Do something exciting for these 7 weeks and just enjoy yourself, keep yourself busy every day and make your days enjoyable before you return back to class.

Perhaps you also need to tell yourself to approach your final year with a less narrow-minded mindset towards. Just go in and tell yourself, 'I'm going to try to find aspects of this course I like' and try to engage with it. If you're just going to be antagonistic to it from the get-go, it's going to be a laborious year!

But if I advise you anything it is to quit worrying about going back just for now and focus on something a bit more exciting and fun! :biggrin:*
Original post by kingaaran
7 weeks to go and you're thinking about it now. If you really don't like the prospect of it, don't think about it - at least now!!

Do something exciting for these 7 weeks and just enjoy yourself, keep yourself busy every day and make your days enjoyable before you return back to class.

Perhaps you also need to tell yourself to approach your final year with a less narrow-minded mindset towards. Just go in and tell yourself, 'I'm going to try to find aspects of this course I like' and try to engage with it. If you're just going to be antagonistic to it from the get-go, it's going to be a laborious year!

But if I advise you anything it is to quit worrying about going back just for now and focus on something a bit more exciting and fun! :biggrin:*

Yeah you're totally right, I do need to try to be a bit more positive about it. This week is the only free week I have before going back to uni though, so I'm trying to do as much prep as possible and it just got me thinking about how miserable it's going to be. I guess I do just need to find positive aspects of it, thanks! Even if the positive aspects are just getting to graduate at the end hahaha.
Yeah you're totally right, I do need to try to be a bit more positive about it. This week is the only free week I have before going back to uni though, so I'm trying to do as much prep as possible and it just got me thinking about how miserable it's going to be. I guess I do just need to find positive aspects of it, thanks! Even if the positive aspects are just getting to graduate at the end hahaha.

Yeah exactly! Good luck with it all :biggrin:*
Original post by kingaaran
Yeah exactly! Good luck with it all :biggrin:*

Thank you! Hope you're having a good summer :smile:.

Hello!

I know it sounds cliche but try and make the most of it. You're dwelling on the negatives instead of the positives. It's your final year - as you've said you've already worked hard for so long so keep doing so for that last year, you can do it. There is always something new to learn - whether it's something big or small, you just never know!

Also, like someone else has mentioned, you have seven weeks until you start! That's ages - fill your time with some little projects of your own. Travel a little, do something creative, do some reading etc - do things to take your mind off it and enjoy your time off. Have the well deserved break you need and then when it comes to it, knuckle down and power through this last year! You never know what you'll learn and do! Like I said, you're dwelling how negative the next year could be - attempt to think of all the reasons it could be good!

Best of luck!
Original post by JustGeorgeJ
Hello!

I know it sounds cliche but try and make the most of it. You're dwelling on the negatives instead of the positives. It's your final year - as you've said you've already worked hard for so long so keep doing so for that last year, you can do it. There is always something new to learn - whether it's something big or small, you just never know!

Also, like someone else has mentioned, you have seven weeks until you start! That's ages - fill your time with some little projects of your own. Travel a little, do something creative, do some reading etc - do things to take your mind off it and enjoy your time off. Have the well deserved break you need and then when it comes to it, knuckle down and power through this last year! You never know what you'll learn and do! Like I said, you're dwelling how negative the next year could be - attempt to think of all the reasons it could be good!

Best of luck!

Thank you for that! It turns out that I do actually have something to look forward to because a course that I wanted to take that was initially pulled from the selection process is back up and running, so I can't wait for that! Funny how things change overnight haha.

Quick Reply

Latest