Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Tens of millions of Turks want to come over, do you have a problem with that?

Look at Germany, it's already like a second Turkey.

Why is this racism for us to oppose, isn't what is being imposed on us kind of racist itself?

ReputationRep:
    Given how unstable Turkey is, and the fact that Erdogan is moving it in an autocratic and theocratic direction I wouldn't consider positive... I definitely wouldn't want Turkey in the EU if I were a European. At the very least, not until Erdogan is out of power and Turkey shows strong signs of becoming more secular and Westernized. In fact, I'm not even sure I trust Turkey as a NATO member anymore due to diverging political and military interests that may arise from Erdogan's leadership.

Of course, I'm an American, and Europeans might be more open to Turkish membership under present conditions than I expect.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jeremy1988)
    Given how unstable Turkey is, and the fact that Erdogan is moving it in an autocratic and theocratic direction I wouldn't consider positive... I definitely wouldn't want Turkey in the EU if I were a European. At the very least, not until Erdogan is out of power and Turkey shows strong signs of becoming more secular and Westernized. In fact, I'm not even sure I trust Turkey as a NATO member anymore due to diverging political and military interests that may arise from Erdogan's leadership.
    ^^This.

I think you'd have struggled finding many people in favour before recent events, let alone now.

ReputationRep:
    Well they're not (yet). So I don't feel anything about it.

ReputationRep:
    It's important to distinguish between feelings about Turks and Turkey as a nation. I oppose Turkey's integration into the EU not because of its people but because of its government. Erdogan, despite introducing sound economic policies, has pulled back on democracy and opposed freedom of speech. Until this changes, the nation cannot enter the EU.

ReputationRep:
    Why is this issue constantly banging around. Turkey isn't going to join the EU. Their application has been stagnant for years. The Syrian crisis and recent terror attacks have changed the political sentiment across Europe and this latest coup is the nail in the coffin for Turkey joining any time soon.

It is a none issue.

ReputationRep:
    How do the vowels feel about Y being included in the sequence? Turk will never be European, and the sooner idiots get the idea out their heads the better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aceadria)
    It's important to distinguish between feelings about Turks and Turkey as a nation. I oppose Turkey's integration into the EU not because of its people but because of its government. Erdogan, despite introducing sound economic policies, has pulled back on democracy and opposed freedom of speech. Until this changes, the nation cannot enter the EU.
    And Erdogan is supported by who? The aliens??
    The problem is the majority of turks themselves.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aceadria)
    This.

Considering how Erdogan is going to turn on the secularists/moderates in Turkey, if anything I'm sort of sympathetic to any who would want to jump ship to Europe.

Secularists are exactly the kind of migrants Europe needs, since they actually meet Europeans somewhat in basic ideologies.

ReputationRep:
    I personally do not want Turkey in the EU
    Turkey is in Asia.
    Should Algeria also join?

ReputationRep:
    Turkey will join the EU sooner or later, Germany want absolute Monetary control over Turkey's finances.

Personally the EU project should have stopped on the eastern german border.
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    Europeans generally oppose it. Especially those EU countries that have been invaded and occupied by Turkish forces in recent history. Said countries would almost certainly veto any application to join, even if one could be made (spoiler: it can't, Turkey meets hardly any of the criteria of being an EU member).

Basically, Turkey has about as much chance of joining the EU as North Korea does.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hassassin04)
    Typical European divide and conquer tactics. Islam is the new Turkey, the will of the people has made it so.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by ByEeek)
    Why is this issue constantly banging around. Turkey isn't going to join the EU. Their application has been stagnant for years. The Syrian crisis and recent terror attacks have changed the political sentiment across Europe and this latest coup is the nail in the coffin for Turkey joining any time soon.

It is a none issue.
    Because some people are idiost, so they like to pretend its a real issue and stir up the xenophobia that inhabits these forums.

Turkey never was anywhere near joining the EU, but they like to pretend it is.
    IT has massive areas it simply will not have negotiated such as peace with Greece and its human righst record. The latter is being shown to be way off considering recent events.

Completely agree the EU has problems of its own.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hassassin04)
    Perhaps, but I would rather not put all Turks into one basket. They are not a homogeneous people.

ReputationRep:
    Only 4% of Turkey is actually in the continent of Europe, so why should they be part of the European Union if the majority are not even European?

ReputationRep:
    lol if the EU allowed turkey to join, you would see fat-off levels of turkish migration into western/northern european countries and it would be a one way street as ****in' nobody wants to live in the hole that is turkey. I think that would put considerable strains on the delusive googly-eyed vision of interventionist and liberal multiculturalism.

ReputationRep:
    there is no chance of Turkey joining the EU- now it's even bigger "no chance" than it was last week.
    scaremongering with Turks is a pretty basic tactic of "leaver" morons.

ReputationRep:
    I hope they can join the EU, by that I mean I hope they become a proper secular democracy that fits all the criteria.

However that's never going to happen.

ReputationRep:
    Terroist state

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.