Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I did a Level 3 BTEC in Creative Media Production, I chose to do Radio in the second year as opposed to Film. Got all merits, went and did Radio at Staffs uni, blumin' hated it, left and am now looking to go into doing a TV/Film course. I've got basic camera skills, handled all the equipment, good editor.
    And I have seen a couple of good film courses with higher entry requirements, will I have any sort of chance applying for them with a radio background?
    Is their even any point in me applying for film degrees anyway what with a radio past, will they just knock me back?
    Do Unis actually take into account extra curricular stuff, like if I started making short films and put together a portfolio of visual stuff, any point to it?
    Are their any Unis that are more lenient?
    How should I go about writing my personal statement?

Sorry if this is a bit TMI. Just worried about stuff! Ta in advance!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AMHworking)
    I did a Level 3 BTEC in Creative Media Production, I chose to do Radio in the second year as opposed to Film. Got all merits, went and did Radio at Staffs uni, blumin' hated it, left and am now looking to go into doing a TV/Film course. I've got basic camera skills, handled all the equipment, good editor.
    And I have seen a couple of good film courses with higher entry requirements, will I have any sort of chance applying for them with a radio background?
    Is their even any point in me applying for film degrees anyway what with a radio past, will they just knock me back?
    Do Unis actually take into account extra curricular stuff, like if I started making short films and put together a portfolio of visual stuff, any point to it?
    Are their any Unis that are more lenient?
    How should I go about writing my personal statement?

Sorry if this is a bit TMI. Just worried about stuff! Ta in advance!
    You can't be rejected unless you apply...

Your previous experience is partly relevant. If you put together a portfolio then they will be interested because it is very relevant.

ReputationRep:
    Key words: Transferable Skills

You need to make all your experience in radio sound worthy and highlight how the skills can be transfered to film. For example, production management, quality control, pre-pro, production and post, workflow, an understand of how to record audio and it's importance in film... etc

Do that and you won't have a problem getting into a film course.

ReputationRep:
    I'm in a similar situation. I'm doing media so we've covered all aspects. I've done a TV advert and a music video but the others have been magazines and radio. Things like radio show scripts I'm including in my portfolio as it shows I can write in a script format, I'm also including vox pops to show sound editing. I'm also including my research into my magazine logos and such to show my research skills ect. As long as you can show how the skills you used in the work will relate directly into the film course at uni, then you're good

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 9, 2017
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.