Turn on thread page Beta

Is it safe to go to Turkey?- Going there TOMORROW. HELP. watch

ReputationRep:
    Me and my family are going to Turkey TOMORROW. When the cou was happening we said we would cancel the holiday but now the cou has died down my family are saying that it's ok to go. So we are going tomorrow, flying to the South of Turkey (nowhere near Istanbul or Ankara) to an apartment we own. Are we taking a risk?
    Our friends are joining us in Turkey on Thursday. All my friends think we are mad going to Turkey but it is probably safe where we are going because it's not near the Syrian border, Ankara or Istanbul. What do you think? Is it safe? Or are we mad for going? I need expert advice or any advice.

ReputationRep:
    anyone?

ReputationRep:
    No, it's not exactly a war zone like Iraq but it isn't exactly safe as say Western Europe or the US.

So keep these things in mind...

1) stay alert at all times, be aware of your surroundings
    2) if you feel something is wrong, it probably is, get away from the situation as quickly as you can
    3) avoid unnecessary contact with strangers
    4) stay away/stay for as least time as you can from high traffic areas such as airports/ bus stations/malls
    5) make sure you have copies of your passport, good foreign currency such as US dollars, a mobile phone.
    6) research the details of the british embassy in Turkey. Keep their number with you
    7) keep key mobile numbers on you, your family, emergency services in Turkey and tourist provider numbers

Have a safe trip!

ReputationRep:
    Pfft I wouldn't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fg45344)
    No, it's not exactly a war zone like Iraq but it isn't exactly safe as say Western Europe or the US.

So keep these things in mind...

1) stay alert at all times, be aware of your surroundings
    2) if you feel something is wrong, it probably is, get away from the situation as quickly as you can
    3) avoid unnecessary contact with strangers
    4) stay away/stay for as least time as you can from high traffic areas such as airports/ bus stations/malls
    5) make sure you have copies of your passport, good foreign currency such as US dollars, a mobile phone.
    6) research the details of the british embassy in Turkey. Keep their number with you
    7) keep key mobile numbers on you, your family, emergency services in Turkey and tourist provider numbers

Have a safe trip!
    Ok thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Grumpyteen)
    Me and my family are going to Turkey TOMORROW. When the cou was happening we said we would cancel the holiday but now the cou has died down my family are saying that it's ok to go. So we are going tomorrow, flying to the South of Turkey (nowhere near Istanbul or Ankara) to an apartment we own. Are we taking a risk?
    Our friends are joining us in Turkey on Thursday. All my friends think we are mad going to Turkey but it is probably safe where we are going because it's not near the Syrian border, Ankara or Istanbul. What do you think? Is it safe? Or are we mad for going? I need expert advice or any advice.
    The Foreign Office issues guidance to travellers in these situations, so contact them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carnationlilyrose)
    The Foreign Office issues guidance to travellers in these situations, so contact them.
    Ok thanks
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    The expert advice comes from your airline/tour operator and the Foreign Office.

If they say don't go, then don't go. If they say it's fine but you decide to cancel you won't get any compensation and/or make a claim on your travel insurance (you do have insurance don't you?).

The Foreign Office says: https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/turkey

Specifically: "Apart from Marmaris, the coastal resorts do not appear to be significantly affected at present. You should check with your airline or tour operator before travelling to the airport. Continue to exercise vigilance in resort areas."

ReputationRep:
    Have a look at the Foreign and Commonwealth Office website and follow their advice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    The expert advice comes from your airline/tour operator and the Foreign Office.

If they say don't go, then don't go. If they say it's fine but you decide to cancel you won't get any compensation and/or make a claim on your travel insurance (you do have insurance don't you?).

The Foreign Office says: https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/turkey

Specifically: "Apart from Marmaris, the coastal resorts do not appear to be significantly affected at present. You should check with your airline or tour operator before travelling to the airport. Continue to exercise vigilance in resort areas."
    Ok thanks for your help
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    anyone?
    Also, don't bump within 5 mins of posting...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    Also, don't bump within 5 mins of posting...
    Ok sorry I'm just impatient!

ReputationRep:
    Emergency numbers for Turkey:

Ambulance: 112 (all over Turkey)
    Police: 155 (all over Turkey)
    Tourism Police: (0212) 5274503 (Istanbul only)
    Gendarmery: 156 (all over Turkey for rural areas)
    Coast Guard: 158 (all over Turkey)
    Fire: 110 (all over Turkey)
    Forest Fire: 177 (all over Turkey)
    Yellow Pages: 11818 or 11811 or 11880 (all over Turkey)
    Tourism Info: 170 (all over Turkey)

ReputationRep:
    British Embassy Ankara

Şehit Ersan Caddesi 46/A
    Çankaya
    Ankara
    Turkey

Email: [email protected]
    Telephone: +90 312 455 33 44
    Fax: +90 312 455 33 52

ReputationRep:
    Emergency numbers for Turkey:

Ambulance: 112 (all over Turkey)
    Police: 155 (all over Turkey)
    Tourism Police: (0212) 5274503 (Istanbul only)
    Gendarmery: 156 (all over Turkey for rural areas)
    Coast Guard: 158 (all over Turkey)
    Fire: 110 (all over Turkey)
    Forest Fire: 177 (all over Turkey)
    Yellow Pages: 11818 or 11811 or 11880 (all over Turkey)
    Tourism Info: 170 (all over Turkey)
    Thank you for your help!

ReputationRep:
    British Embassy Ankara

Şehit Ersan Caddesi 46/A
    Çankaya
    Ankara
    Turkey

Email: [email protected]
    Telephone: +90 312 455 33 44
    Fax: +90 312 455 33 52
    Thanks for your help!

ReputationRep:
    I would not go to Turkey generally let alone now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IYGB)
    I would not go to Turkey generally let alone now
    It's still OK if you take precautions, if you go there without copies of your passport, no idea of embassy or emergency numbers and talk to random people late into the night, yeah you will end up in some kind of trouble sooner or later.

Just avoid crowded areas if you can, this is where the terrorists aim for and where usually all the protests/ army shooting the public is taking place.

Worst case scenario is if there is a full on coup and they shut down the airport. Then you pretty much have to sit tight and stay in touch with the British Embassy. Unless the RAF want to rescue you?
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    What Neil posted. Follow the FCO. No reason to think it would get any worse and the coup wasnt against tourists anyway.

Obviously you shouldnt be going anywhere near the syrian border, other than that stay away from large public gathers i.e marches in the major cities.
    Holidaying on the coast should be perfectly fine. You cnat eliminate all risk, but then you could eb attacked in the UK as well.

I would go.

ReputationRep:
    the chances of anything happen are pretty small so just try and forget about it and enjoy yourself

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.