Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Myth Busting Monday - what percentage of girls 13-17 experienced physical abuse? Watch

• View Poll Results: What percentage of teenage girls (13-17) have experienced physical domestic abuse?
    1-5%
    25.00%
    6-15%
    0%
    16-25%
    50.00%
    more than 25%
    25.00%

• Section Leader
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    Domestic violence/abuse can happen to anyone at any age.

Over the last five years there has been increasing awareness of the problems surrounding domestic violence. This includes research being done into the impact of domestic violence within teenage relationships.

Domestic violence and take many forms. If your partner is using fear, violence or intimidation to try and control you that is domestic abuse. If they are hurting you or have forced you to perform sexual acts that you did not want to do that is abuse (and depending on what has happened is also be sexual assault or Rape.

If you are experiencing domestic abuse, whatever your age there are places that you can go for help. The government is running a campaign at the moment which you can find information about here https://www.disrespectnobody.co.uk/. If you aren't sure what to do you can also ask for help on TSR in the relationships forum

So the question for today is what percentage of UK teenagers girls between the ages of 13-17 (as that is what the have the stats for it can impact boys to) have experienced physical violence within the context of a romantic relationship.
    • Section Leader
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by randdom)
    So the question for today is what percentage of UK teenagers girls between the ages of 13-17 (as that is what the have the stats for it can impact boys to) have experienced physical violence within the context of a romantic relationship.
    Hmm, I think 16-25% for physical but higher for emotional/both - it seems so high, but I think a lot of it goes unreported (especially in cultures where they are expected to obey). I hope those who are experiencing it are able to get help!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by BurstingBubbles)
    Hmm, I think 16-25% for physical but higher for emotional/both - it seems so high, but I think a lot of it goes unreported (especially in cultures where they are expected to obey). I hope those who are experiencing it are able to get help!
    I'd agree with this, but would be at least as interested to see the statistics for emotional abuse. The latter seems to go unrecognised/unreported a lot more, despite the fact it can have just as big an impact on people subjected to it!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    I have this awful feeling feeling it'll be really high :sad: I voted for 25%+ for this reason though as Bubbles and Shadow have said, alot of it will inevitably go unreported :/

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 18, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.