Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi I'm another stressed out 6th form student wondering about where I'm gonna end up in life.

It turns out I don't/won't have the grades to get onto a dentistry course at ANY uni because I've got 2 A levels (Bio/Chem) and a BTEC (sport) that isn't accepted. HOWEVER I may have a chance at getting onto a Dental hygiene and therapy course and I was told that if i graduate from there I can move onto doing another 2 year course for Dentistry.

My questions are -
    Is this true?
    What are the odds of getting on?
    If it's not true, what other pathways are there to getting onto Dentistry with - lets say an A in Bio + Chem and a Distinction* In BTEC sport.

Any advice would help - i feel like a gazelle with a broken leg :/
    Halp mee

ReputationRep:
    I'm not overly sure on how to answer the second and third points of your question, however, I am about to start second year of dentistry, and a girl from the dental hygiene and therapy course is moving onto our course after her first year because she did so well in her exams. So yes, it is possible to get into dentistry via this route, although probably getting accepted midway through the hygiene/therapy course as opposed to after graduation is a bit rarer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by teef)
    Are you at Newcastle by any chance, because I know they clearly state on their website that there is an option to transfer to BDS after the 1st year of Dental Hygiene and Therapy or Biomedical Science if you meet their transfer criteria.

Yes, this was at Newcastle!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.