Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Thread Starter

    I'm starting Cardiff Met in September as a postgraduate student (llandaff campus) and will be moving to Cardiff with my boyfriend but we don't really know where to start when looking for accommodation. The accommodation website says not to use letting agents because of fees and stuff, but the list they sent me of trusted landlords isn't especially helpful since there are no photos or proper descriptions of what the properties are like. How do people usually go about arranging private sector housing for Cardiff Met? Does anyone have any advice about where to start? We've looked on rightmove and stuff but there doesn't seem to be a huge range of affordable housing.

    I just sucked it up and went through a letting agent (I'm a mature post grad). I got the same list, but most were for shared accommodation and I wanted my own place. I didn't have a lot of money to spend, but found something near my (the Cyncoed) campus for 450 a month and have moved in now. It's further out from the city centre, but well connected by buses so I was happy to make the compromise as it means I have easy access to my classes. Fees totalled £200 (plus my deposit which is refundable). There's quite a lot out there, but it can get quite pricey. My options were definitely less in my price range, but I managed and have a decent flat now. If you can, try and visit Cardiff to see the streets even if you can't actually view the flat. The gentrified areas are lovely, but the streets around it can be quite rough (even though the insides of the flats look nice) so you want to make sure you'll be comfortable living there.
    • Specialist Advisor

    Specialist Advisor

    If you haven't seen anything suitable on the landlord list that the Accommodation Office provides, then I'd also recommend having a look at the Cardiff Digs website: http://www.cardiffdigs.co.uk/accommo...where-to-look/

    It's a joint initiative between Cardiff Metropolitan University, Cardiff University, the University of South Wales and Cardiff Council and, among other things, the website provides advice about private accommodation in Cardiff and a list of landlord/estate agents associations.

    Not all estate agents or landlords put their properties on Rightmove and similar sites so it would be worth contacting estate agents directly or having a look at their websites. You can use the Cardiff Digs link above to search for estate agents that are members of associations.

    Good luck with your search!

Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.