The Student Room Group

Grades for US universities (requirement?)

Hey. So i am thinking of applying to US universities this year. I have finished my A levels this summer and am awaiting the results this August. I am taking a gap year right now so i was getting ready to apply, but my question is do we have to submit any half term, end of term reports or anything? I thought all we have to submit is:

A level results we get this August
SAT scores
Personal Statement + Essays for unniversities
Teacher's recommendation
ECs?

Any replies would be appreciated. Thanks
Reply 1
About £200,000
You submit a highschool transcript which should have most of your grades from mocks and stuff, as well as GCSEs and AS levels (or A2s in your case)

also you don't submit a personal statement. It's just essays

also depending on the university, you may need to take SAT Subject tests. Remember you have a choice generally between the SAT and ACT
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by orton6
About £200,000

yeah plus the money lol
Reply 4
Original post by Student403
You submit a highschool transcript which should have most of your grades from mocks and stuff, as well as GCSEs and AS levels (or A2s in your case)

also depending on the university, you may need to take SAT Subject tests. Remember you have a choice generally between the SAT and ACT

oh so you do submit the grades from mocks etc?
Is that of much importance when they assess the student?
Is it like more important the actual A-level grades i get this August?
Original post by someday16

1) Probably yeah - your school prepares the transcript
2) It's just to show that you perform well in school, or if not, that there's been an upward trend in your grades
3) doubt it - your real grades will be the most important grades
Original post by Student403

Some universities do require a personal statement. For example, if you are applying to private US unis using the common app, there is a section to input your personal statement. Depending on each university, additional essays may be required but they will clearly indicate this on their portal or on the common app.

The personal statement for US unis is just different in that it does not need to be tailored to the major you are applying for, and can be more expressive and abstract and focused more on personal qualities and interests if you wish. (i.e someone wrote about their experience as a toddler in a supermarket, related it to her love of learning, and got into Stanford and multiple Ivy League schools)
Original post by someday16

You don't have to really, your school will just list out your GCSE, AS and A2 predictions + their official seal/signature

Yes. But Most top colleges run on a holistic process whereby all of your application is read in context and compared to similar candidates.

U.S. Unis don't tend to have conditions, you are just accepted or not.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by orton6
About £200,000

Is this how much it will cost??! I was also thinking of applying to US universities
Original post by BBaker747
Is this how much it will cost??! I was also thinking of applying to US universities

Depends on your family income.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending