Turn on thread page Beta
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    hi everyone, yesterday I made a post asking about what budget(ish) smartphone i should get to tide me till 2017. since then, i went to get a new phone ofr my dad at carphone (best prices vs others / my dad hates online stuff). whilst there, i spotted that the google/lg nexus 5x is on sale for £169.99. i asked in store to test the pair of them out and asked my dad to help me confirm my findings. heres my thoughts:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    the 650 lumia, whilst running a crap processor specwise (212 vs 808) is a surprisingly good bit of kit.

the front cameras for both devices are 5mp and to be fair, when comparing the default settings of both, the nexus had best colour (lumia had more detail / clarity however) but the lumia allows you to easily change parameters vs the nexus and can produce awsome selfies and vids.

the rear camera were more surprisisng as the lumia wasnt as bad as i thought it would be (rear camera actually outdid iphone 6 images). that being said, the nexus 5x has a better rear camera /default camera settings;

the form factor of both devices was excellent but the lumia felt more comfy to hold (surprising as it is 6.9mm thick ie same thickness as iphone 6 / galaxy s6...s7 & 6s is thicker).

the biggest shocker however was the screen quality. I have generally noticed lg screens dont hold a candle vs samsung screens (ie samsung and lumias) and sharp screens (apple) but the fact that the 650's 720p OLED screen was much more readable / had better colour quality than the 1080p lg handset completely caught me off guard.

the nexus has a biometric scanner!, the lumia doesnt have any biometrics (no iris scanner )

whilst i didnt have further chance to test both handsets, i have read that the nexus has a similar battery life but i know it has a greater selection of apps (and doesnt suffer much battery drain on games vs the lumia). also the nexus should allow for more multi apps to be open at the same time which is good for work and play on the go (vs issues encountered with iOS / low ram devices)

hopefully guys/gals, you can help me out

ReputationRep:
    Do you want to be able to use different apps? Lumia is windows and I've had one a year ago or so. There's barely anything on the store. Most of the games you will get are rip offs and loads of apps for websites and such are only available for android or apple.

When I got mine I thought it wouldn't matter since I don't use apps much but that was insane. I'd go for Nexus any day.

Obviously, it's your choice tho

ReputationRep:
    My first smart phone was a windows phone and ever since I got it snakes have been manifesting in my house physically

Go with the nexus

ReputationRep:
    5x. Do not get windows it's dying out and is losing support. Nexus 5x is an excellent phone. Trust me. Any qns please ask

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Devify)
    Do you want to be able to use different apps? Lumia is windows and I've had one a year ago or so. There's barely anything on the store. Most of the games you will get are rip offs and loads of apps for websites and such are only available for android or apple.

When I got mine I thought it wouldn't matter since I don't use apps much but that was insane. I'd go for Nexus any day.

Obviously, it's your choice tho
    windows 10 apps are surprisingly more robust than windows 8.1 from what ive seen on friends devices. in fact, stuff like instagram, netflix, iplayer, bt sport, messenger, facebook are on par with with ios /droid with twitter being better on windoiws 10 vs ios and android. windows 8 in comparison has been abandoned for too long. 650 uses windows 10, which has only been out since december.

whilst i know about the app situation on windows, android apps are equally questionable but you do get more apps (that being said, you have to be careful what you chose as ive been screwed over on my galaxy s3 multiple times) id say apple has best quality app store but i am not a fan of iphones for various reasons.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by longsightdon)
    5x. Do not get windows it's dying out and is losing support. Nexus 5x is an excellent phone. Trust me. Any qns please ask

Posted from TSR Mobile
    in terms of launchers, what can you recommend (i like z launcher but it is a beta launcher; arrow seems ok but i want to avoid a touchwiz type laucher, i like htc's approach) also how much is insurance and do you need to install security software (android i know for a fact is the least secure mobile os on the market in terms of security blogs and personal experience)?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Farlan)
    My first smart phone was a windows phone and ever since I got it snakes have been manifesting in my house physically

Go with the nexus
    cool, what was your first smartphone if you don't mind me asking? (I have a 1020 lumia at home which i still use in preference to my galaxy s3 and my mum's 6s - the 1020 has been good to me for 2 years plus but am annoyed with windows 8.1 apps vs windows 10, android and ios)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by quasa)
    cool, what was your first smartphone if you don't mind me asking? (I have a 1020 lumia at home which i still use in preference to my galaxy s3 and my mum's 6s - the 1020 has been good to me for 2 years plus but am annoyed with windows 8.1 apps vs windows 10, android and ios)
    it was a lumia 520 and it was a mess. I still have it I just use it for music now which is a shame because the music player is probably the most broken thing about it
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Farlan)
    it was a lumia 520 and it was a mess. I still have it I just use it for music now which is a shame because the music player is probably the most broken thing about it
    no offense but the 520 is a crap phone by even windows standards. the 5 series lumias are generally low cost crap (minus 535 which was surprisingly good for a budget handset) and yeah, if i had that phone, i would have probably thrown it out of a window within a week. the 550 is the last ever in the 5xx series and it is probably 1 of the worst budget handsets on the planet. the fact you can get the 640 lumia, which is accepted by fans and critics as a match / better than last years moto g series phone for less than a 550 just says how much you should avoid it (lumias have a YXX naming convention: 5xx is cheap and crap, 6xx is cheap and cheerful, 7xx and 8xx have been discontinued for a while and 9xx is flagship . 1020 was 920 with a beast of a camera (41 megapixels) - its a 2012/13 spec phone btw )

btw
    Spoiler:
    Show
    nice to see another yu gi oh fan. personally love the japanese dub of 5ds - horribly butchered in english but jap is probably 1 of my fav anime in general full stop. the original series in english was ok and kinda want to see dark side of dimensions. currently watching arc v post synchro saga (only started watching it after i found out jack and crow were in arc v)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by quasa)
    in terms of launchers, what can you recommend (i like z launcher but it is a beta launcher; arrow seems ok but i want to avoid a touchwiz type laucher, i like htc's approach) also how much is insurance and do you need to install security software (android i know for a fact is the least secure mobile os on the market in terms of security blogs and personal experience)?
    Tbh u don't need a launcher, stock android is excellent on its own. People often download Nova for more personalisation. You can find some good recommendations online. Insurance I wouldn't know but id guess about tenner a month? Idk in terms of security I don't see how you know that is a fact. It is a very secure OS. No OS needs extra security software. Frankly the only way you're getting malware on your phone on any OS is if you're being an idiot, the only way it's happening is if you download the most dodgy things/apps or if you fall for tricks giving people permissions on your device to download. There's no real necessity in a security app but there's no harm in it either. Over my 4 years of using android I have never encountered any malware/viruses on any of my devices. When a 'security blog' writes about security, essentially it's down to the user. If the user downloads dodgy material/falls for the most obvious tricks in the internet then it's their own fault not the OS as the user gives permission for access. Currently I believe an android device was named as the most secure smartphone out on the market currently but I'm not sure (might have been the s7? But I'm not sure, article is hazy). I think even Obama uses an android device now instead of a blackberry as its the most secure device out for him currently. Perhaps you've experienced poor quality android in the past? This is one of the main problems with android, the low end of the market is oversaturated with poor cheap laggy android devices which portrays android as a bad OS. Once u buy a 5X you'll have a real taste of pure untouched android. Any more qns feel free to ask

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You'll kick yourself after a few weeks of using the Lumia. For that price, the 5x is pretty much unbeatable and the Lumia won't offer you anything above it. As you've said you already have a 1020 so if you every want to go on a photography binge you can use that, but in day to day the 5x is way better. Devs pay attention to Android more than they do to WP, and more importantly Google themselves invest far more into their OS than Microsoft does into theirs, so it will last you longer too
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by alexschmalex)
    You'll kick yourself after a few weeks of using the Lumia. For that price, the 5x is pretty much unbeatable and the Lumia won't offer you anything above it. As you've said you already have a 1020 so if you every want to go on a photography binge you can use that, but in day to day the 5x is way better. Devs pay attention to Android more than they do to WP, and more importantly Google themselves invest far more into their OS than Microsoft does into theirs, so it will last you longer too
    the latter point is actually what made me take a look at the 5x tbh. nexus will be updated constantly but that isnt necessarily true for most droid phones (cough samsung and sony). but nice to see someone else who is aware of the phone with the (currently unmatched) camera (shame for the prehistoric processor otherwise vids would be unbeaten as well but its still good phone for 1080p. also the fact it has 2gb ram is a god send for multitasking and unusual for a 2012/13 phone) the nexus is prettymuch top contender atm but the insurance amount is what is making me wait (£12/month more or less). tha being said, i have no idea how long it will remain at 170 sim free at carphone as my local centres didnt stock the white ones / werent online (interestingly all 650s were out of stock minus online)
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Don't get the Lumia. You will regret it when you realise that you're basically consigned to the default apps.

ReputationRep:
    Windows is a dead OS, don't even bother.

5X is a solid phone, just make sure not to get the 16GB one or you'll find yourself running out of space v quick.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by quasa)
    the latter point is actually what made me take a look at the 5x tbh. nexus will be updated constantly but that isnt necessarily true for most droid phones (cough samsung and sony). but nice to see someone else who is aware of the phone with the (currently unmatched) camera (shame for the prehistoric processor otherwise vids would be unbeaten as well but its still good phone for 1080p. also the fact it has 2gb ram is a god send for multitasking and unusual for a 2012/13 phone) the nexus is prettymuch top contender atm but the insurance amount is what is making me wait (£12/month more or less). tha being said, i have no idea how long it will remain at 170 sim free at carphone as my local centres didnt stock the white ones / werent online (interestingly all 650s were out of stock minus online)
    £12 a month?? That sounds steep doesn't it? That's what O2 said it would cost to insure my S7e for theft AND damage, but I just assumed it was proportional to the value of the phone. How much do you really need insurance though? I only have it on mine so that if it breaks I only pay £60 instead of £200-300 for repairs, but if you're careful and have never damaged a phone before I don't think it should put you off buying it. Check with CW to see how long the deal is for but I wouldn't wait too long in any case, as you said they're probably being bought very quickly so who knows how long stocks will last
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Plagioclase)
    Don't get the Lumia. You will regret it when you realise that you're basically consigned to the default apps.
    when you say default, you mean microsoft or apps everyone uses? (my 1020 has netflix, iplayer, all4 (formerly 4od) demand5, facebook, whatsapp, telegraph, viber, skype, photoshop elements, instagram, messenger, uber, sonic dash (im glad i dont have dash 2 as the characters look lame), fifa 14 & fifa 15, gta san andreas, ifruit app, pip boy app (for fallout 4), asphalt 8 airbourne, modern combat 5, twitch and a bunch of others). in terms of apps, im pretty ok but i wish i had amazon video and the windows 7 youtube app which was forced to be abandoned due to
    Spoiler:
    Show
    microsoft reverse engineering and vastly improving upon the android app
    and pokemon go on my phone (snapchat couldnt care less about)
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by alexschmalex)
    £12 a month?? That sounds steep doesn't it? That's what O2 said it would cost to insure my S7e for theft AND damage, but I just assumed it was proportional to the value of the phone. How much do you really need insurance though? I only have it on mine so that if it breaks I only pay £60 instead of £200-300 for repairs, but if you're careful and have never damaged a phone before I don't think it should put you off buying it. Check with CW to see how long the deal is for but I wouldn't wait too long in any case, as you said they're probably being bought very quickly so who knows how long stocks will last
    the deal was a prime day deal but was extended by a week (so tomorrow i am guessing). I checked online and in store and they said no idea about when the stock will return. the blue model is the only 1 available but it looks weird
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by quasa)
    when you say default, you mean microsoft or apps everyone uses? (my 1020 has netflix, iplayer, all4 (formerly 4od) demand5, facebook, whatsapp, telegraph, viber, skype, photoshop elements, instagram, messenger, uber, sonic dash (im glad i dont have dash 2 as the characters look lame), fifa 14 & fifa 15, gta san andreas, ifruit app, pip boy app (for fallout 4), asphalt 8 airbourne, modern combat 5, twitch and a bunch of others). in terms of apps, im pretty ok but i wish i had amazon video and the windows 7 youtube app which was forced to be abandoned due to
    Spoiler:
    Show
    microsoft reverse engineering and vastly improving upon the android app
    and pokemon go on my phone (snapchat couldnt care less about)
    So yes, it has the absolute basics and if all you want is basic functionality then it's fine but I can't count the number of times that there's been a more niche app that I've wanted to get access to that I couldn't.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Plagioclase)
    So yes, it has the absolute basics and if all you want is basic functionality then it's fine but I can't count the number of times that there's been a more niche app that I've wanted to get access to that I couldn't.
    well, i mainly use my phones for communicating with others and browsing the web 1st and 2nd, with photography a strong 3rd and streaming apps only an option if i am on the go / bored at work. games I dont really play on phones (
    Spoiler:
    Show
    the games mentioned were an exception due to the following reasons:
    san andreas was a massive fan on ps2 and it looks surprisingly better in 768p on phone than on ps2; fifa was because i prefer football on touchscreen vs console and i like racing games so asphalt was an option
    and prefer playing on consoles tbh.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by quasa)
    well, i mainly use my phones for communicating with others and browsing the web 1st and 2nd, with photography a strong 3rd and streaming apps only an option if i am on the go / bored at work. games I dont really play on phones (
    Spoiler:
    Show
    the games mentioned were an exception due to the following reasons:
    san andreas was a massive fan on ps2 and it looks surprisingly better in 768p on phone than on ps2; fifa was because i prefer football on touchscreen vs console and i like racing games so asphalt was an option
    and prefer playing on consoles tbh.
    I don't care about games but lots of smaller institutions like research projects or museums have their own apps and whilst they're generally available on Apple and Android, they're not available on Windows Mobile. That's the main issue for me.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: July 18, 2016

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.