Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I suffer from social anxiety and as such it makes me hesitant all of the time about grasping opportunities and taking them.

Obviously this has hindered me a lot and I'm holding myself back. I've been anxious for years and years, sought medication and therapy, but still find myself in its' horrible vice.

I'm unable to get on in life- despite my best efforts to secure work experience placements, voluntary stuff- I always end up letting them down. Either declining their invitation days after securing a meeting or better yet not responding.

It is affecting my punctuality. Lately, I have just been indoors in the house beating myself up over it.

I am waiting for my registration for doctors appt and also emailed a private therapist for an initial appt. I'm doing all I can, but I'm still self-destructing.

ReputationRep:
    Talk to someone you trust. A friend or a support line/website if you prefer being anonymous.

How long until your appointment? My friend recently went in for depression and anxiety. He called his gp about it and was given the choice of setting and appointment which would be in 4 weeks time or give them a call at 8am and they will give him an emergency appointment in a free slot that day.

Don't expect much tho, it's slow process. The usual treatment is therapy sessions and possibly pills for when you feel like you may have an anxiety attack. You need to want to get through it and put in the work. Good thing is, you are moving there. Now it's just figuring out what works for you.

(Original post by Devify)
    Talk to someone you trust. A friend or a support line/website if you prefer being anonymous.

How long until your appointment? My friend recently went in for depression and anxiety. He called his gp about it and was given the choice of setting and appointment which would be in 4 weeks time or give them a call at 8am and they will give him an emergency appointment in a free slot that day.

Don't expect much tho, it's slow process. The usual treatment is therapy sessions and possibly pills for when you feel like you may have an anxiety attack. You need to want to get through it and put in the work. Good thing is, you are moving there. Now it's just figuring out what works for you.
    I talk to my best mate about it and have done for years. I've been through this process tons of times so i know the frustrations of it. To that effect, my mate is very much sick of my pessimism and depressive rants. So I've stopped talking to him about this :/

No idea on the doctor's front. They sent me a letter a week or two ago telling me about a health assessment they want to carry out for registration. However, it only detailed the process and didn't give a time or date. :/

So I could be waiting forever. So in the meantime I've emailed a private therapist to discuss therapy again. I've had private therapy before with another therapist back home. Obviously now I've moved hence the need to register with a GP surgery. However, good thing is, getting treatment privately means less waiting times.

I'm also battling with trying to get a graduate job- which is taking its toll. The pressures are mounting with the months that pass by. I know its likely I wont get a job with the more time that passes. I keep self-sabotaging myself though due to anxiety.

ReputationRep:
    I think you need NZT in life and even you can become Limitless. But beware the side effects.

ReputationRep:
    unfortunately there isn't an easy answer, these thigns only get better when you do them and step out of your comfort zone... you can't learn to cope theoretically you have to get out there and do it

ReputationRep:
    Do you look after yourself in general in terms of diet/exercise? I have social anxiety too and I've missed out on a lot of things, but I'm trying my best. PM me if you want to talk about anything.

(Original post by YaliaV)
    Do you look after yourself in general in terms of diet/exercise? I have social anxiety too and I've missed out on a lot of things, but I'm trying my best. PM me if you want to talk about anything.
    I'll be honest, I don;t really. Physically i don't get much exercise other than when walking between catching buses.

I've never been the sporty type. I went through a phase a couple years ago where I jogged for a good two months in the mornings- but I lived in the countryside then.

My alcohol consumption has also increased as of late, I guess to deal with my anxiety. Although my alcohol consumption never really declined, I've always drank heavily and sporadically over the years- usually through depression, boredom, anxiety, stress or suicidal ideation- or a mix of all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I'll be honest, I don;t really. Physically i don't get much exercise other than when walking between catching buses.

I've never been the sporty type. I went through a phase a couple years ago where I jogged for a good two months in the mornings- but I lived in the countryside then.

My alcohol consumption has also increased as of late, I guess to deal with my anxiety. Although my alcohol consumption never really declined, I've always drank heavily and sporadically over the years- usually through depression, boredom, anxiety, stress or suicidal ideation- or a mix of all.
    It's important to look after yourself. Are there any support groups? Reach out in any way you can. Drinking will only make things worse, but you know that. I'm in the middle of it as well, so I know there's no easy answer.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 19, 2016
Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.