The Student Room Group

Positive motivation for weight loss

Scroll to see replies

Original post by fatima1998
but thats what i wanna become :yep:

:shakecane: You shouldn't want to, you're fine :unimpressed:
Think youi both missed the point he is making, but as he hasnt bothered to come back then will leave him to explain it.
Original post by XxKingSniprxX
For me when I start cutting from December 1st 2016 onwards, I have a set goal date I.e to look at my leanest for a fitness expo (body power UK May 2017) and just want to bring a better physique than this year summer. Obviously, everyone has different goals but if you set yourself a goal perhaps to either
to be x weight or look/feel physically/mentally better.

The thing you have to remember throughout your journey is this...
"slow progress is better than no progress". :moon:
As long as you don't quit/stop ... you'll get what you want. ^ :hugs:

I do have a goal. I just emotionally don't feel like rushing it. I just wish I could psych myself into more rapid weight loss without feeling like ****.

Original post by hermitthefrog
Are you still overweight or simply looking to shift the pounds for vanity reasons now? If you're not overweight you probably don't have many calories to eat every day. I personally find it really difficult to eat at a calorie defecit after a few months. If you don't need to lose weight for your health any more, why don't you bump your calories up to maintenance for a month or two and focus more on gaining strength then come back to dieting after a few months off, while still doing positive things for your body?

I am overweight. Majoirly so actually. Previously I was obese. Although in my fitter days I was on the low end of overweight and had a 32" waist so I'm happy with an overweight BMI so long as I don't have as much flab.
Generally being healthy is kind of what I'm doing at the moment :smile: with the exception of a couple recent weeks where medication side effects caused me to comfort eat. I was just hoping for a motivation source to kick it up a notch.

Original post by 999tigger
How long did it take kvothe?

Are you at target or how far from it?

How far to go?

How much and what sort of exercise are you doing?

2.5 years.

I've reached my first target but I'm about 2-3 stone from my more ideal weight target.

Exercise, I'm building up. There is no typical. I had a hiatus with exams and then my return to work. My new AD made me depressed and gave me mood swings but things are shaping up so I should be on it this week. I'm about to head to the supermarket now actually for groceries.

I imagine I'd want to do 4-5 exercise sessions from work. What they are, I'm not sure. I had a class or two in mind but the new job I start on Monday has funny hrs and I have to wait to ask about flexibility. For now, gymx3 and then a Sat thing.

Think youi both missed the point he is making, but as he hasnt bothered to come back then will leave him to explain it.

I work and have had things to do this evening. Sorry for not being online.
(edited 7 years ago)
Are you using MFP?

Imo you could take a break fro a few weeks.

What I would be doing besides sticking to the calorie control, would be to adapt the exercise.

Get faster and stronger and that should be giving you motivation that you are getting in better shape. It just gives you an alternate set of targets where you cna make progress. It will also speed up the weight loss. It will also help woth depression. Do 3 weight sessions and then add in some cardio.

I get what you mean as now you feel you have done most of it, but this is why you need to focus on the different phase to push yourself to target.
Original post by Kvothe the arcane
I've lost around 30 kg and for the majority of it, I was motivated by disgust.

I hated how I looked in the mirror and felt people judged me (due to anxiety) and just wanted to get to a smaller size. But now my self-esteem has improved and I no longer am that bothered by what other people think. This is good from a MH perspective but it means from a weight loss perspective, I've lost my main motivation.

I don't like what I see in the mirror, but I'm also strangely comfortable. Telling myself "eat less you fat ****" doesn't have quite the same effect or appeal.

Does anyone have any advice on finding a positive basis for further weightloss :smile:? I still have away to go but my loss has gone to a snail's pace :/

Tell me about it! I hear stories of people getting addicted to exercising and eating healthy, which I was for a period when I lost around 50kg. But now im in the same position as you, not so bad at the moment, much better than before but still some pounds need shifting but motivation is very low.
Original post by SophieSmall
As @Hype en Ecosse has said there is literally no other way to explain it or do it.

Calories in vs calories out. It's simple maths.

You may have made changes and I'm sure they're great, but evidently they've not been enough. If you're not at a calorie deficit (eat less than your TDEE) for a long period of time you simply won't reach your goals. It's that simple.

This is definitely it and I won't argue that but the process of weight loss itself is more complex in my opinion.

First and for most you really have to tackle with the inner demons that cause weight gain in the first place (emotional eating/ Binge Eating disorder etc) , then I believe to have to get rid of the "all or nothing" approach to weight loss (this is where I think most people fail) because everyone has good days and bad days with food, you just have to try and get in more good days than bad.

There also needs to be a set routine and structure to your life rather than just calorie counting anything on mfp. For example, it's probably more beneficial to repeat the same meals because you know the exact calorie count rather than experimenting too much with food and over complicating everything and end up messing up and then giving up.

I think it's mindset that is what is the biggest struggle when it comes to losing weight.
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
This is definitely it and I won't argue that but the process of weight loss itself is more complex in my opinion.

First and for most you really have to tackle with the inner demons that cause weight gain in the first place (emotional eating/ Binge Eating disorder etc) , then I believe to have to get rid of the "all or nothing" approach to weight loss (this is where I think most people fail) because everyone has good days and bad days with food, you just have to try and get in more good days than bad.

There also needs to be a set routine and structure to your life rather than just calorie counting anything on mfp. For example, it's probably more beneficial to repeat the same meals because you know the exact calorie count rather than experimenting too much with food and over complicating everything and end up messing up and then giving up.

I think it's mindset that is what is the biggest struggle when it comes to losing weight.

I completely agree with everything you said. Weight loss in terms of logistics is incredibly simple, but actually doing what you have to to get there, emotionally and psychologically can be very hard depending on the person. And I agree with all the points you made.

I was mostly just arguing against the argument Fatima had made that she did all that and yet it didn't work, because if she had eaten at a deficit for a long period of time she would have lost weight. Unless of course there is something medically wrong with her, in which case she should go to the doctors.
(edited 7 years ago)
Are you using MFP?

Nope, I never stick to it. It's too tedious. But I do now somewhat successfully plan my meals. I am using ideas from dietdoctor (which is a LCHF website).

Imo you could take a break fro a few weeks.

I already have and now I'm trying to recommit now my mood has stabilized.

What I would be doing besides sticking to the calorie control, would be to adapt the exercise.

I'm in a bit of limbo atm as I don't know what sports I'll be able to do with my new working hrs so just gym sessions atm to keep me active.

Get faster and stronger and that should be giving you motivation that you are getting in better shape. It just gives you an alternate set of targets where you cna make progress. It will also speed up the weight loss. It will also help with depression. Do 3 weight sessions and then add in some cardio.

Yup, I'm beginning to think that switching focus to fitness related goals may not be the worst thing in the world. . I

I get what you mean as now you feel you have done most of it, but this is why you need to focus on the different phase to push yourself to target.

It would be dishonest f me to say I was mostly done. I have 15kg-ish to lose and then work on toning so the road is long. But I don't care.

Original post by College_Dropout
Tell me about it! I hear stories of people getting addicted to exercising and eating healthy, which I was for a period when I lost around 50kg. But now im in the same position as you, not so bad at the moment, much better than before but still some pounds need shifting but motivation is very low.

Well I do like exercising. I did the gym a couple times before work last week and bad I felt refreshed that morning and before the sun decided to burn like a furnace, I was walking regularly to work. My first week back to work (2 weeks ago) I walked over 60 miles. And wow, well done on losing 50 kg :smile:.
And I prefer eating healthily but alas, I am not motivated to portion control. And a huge ass chicken salad is still calories.

First and for most you really have to tackle with the inner demons that catilsuse weight gain in the first place (jemotional eating/ Binge Eating disorder etc) , then I believe to have to get rid of the "all or nothing" approach to weight loss (this is where I think most people fail) because everyone has good days and bad days with food, you just have to try and get in more good days than bad.

I agree with this 100%. At the beginning of my journey I'd start to eat healthily and cave after a couple days. Once my diet plan was ruined, it was easy to think "ugh, I clearly can't do this" and delay trying again till the following Monday. And then begin and fail again. Once I realized it wasn't the worst thing in the world if I had a bad day, it was easy to get back on track that day or the following day and eventually it became the case that eating a pack of croissants and then drinking 12 bowls of frosted flaked disgusted me.

I was mostly just arguing against the argument Fatima had made that she did all that and yet it didn't work, because if she had eaten at a deficit for a long period of time she would have lost weight. Unless of course there is something medically wrong with her, in which case she should go to the doctors.

It's quite easy to forget certain snacks or (fruit) juices. In my case there was a period of time where I'd plateaud despite eating sensibly but then I realized I was drinking a l or more of very sweet fruit juice.
Original post by Kvothe the arcane

I agree with this 100%. At the beginning of my journey I'd start to eat healthily and cave after a couple days. Once my diet plan was ruined, it was easy to think "ugh, I clearly can't do this" and delay trying again till the following Monday. And then begin and fail again. Once I realized it wasn't the worst thing in the world if I had a bad day, it was easy to get back on track that day or the following day and eventually it became the case that eating a pack of croissants and then drinking 12 bowls of frosted flaked disgusted me.

Exactly, I think it's a step that everyone has to overcome. I've had issues with my weight for the longest time, it's always up and down and it's mostly because of this reason. I'll have a great three days then a bad day and then I'm like "Oh well, I've already ruined 3 days of progress" (even though I probably haven't) and then end up not bring for the rest of the weak. It's a really difficult cycle to break but I think ultimately it is the most beneficial.
I completely agree with everything you said. Weight loss in terms of logistics is incredibly simple, but actually doing what you have to to get there, emotionally and psychologically can be very hard depending on the person. And I agree with all the points you made.

Yup I know, I just felt like addressing another point since you mentioned calories in = calories out.

I always find people (not saying you were in this case, I agree with the point you were making) throw calories in and calories out at people who are big and they completely disregard that there are other issues that people need to overcome, not just eating less and moving more (even though that is all you need to do to see weight loss).
Yes huge ass portions won't aid your weight loss but eating huge portions of healthy food is better than huge portions of unhealthy food. You definitely need to work on portion control if you think it's an issue, it's always something I've suffered with! I make enough pasta to last me my tea then possibly my lunch and if I'm still hungry after I'll have some fruit or something. Snacking isn't exactly the devil if you make sure you snack right... also another of my downfalls.
Remember, the feeling of being hungry is the feeling of getting leaner. That's how I always look at it when I'm cutting.
Think about health, not weight. It's always better to be a bit bigger and fitter than slim but couch potato.

The best way I can say to think about it is lose weight because you love your body and want to take care of it, but because you hate it and you're jealous of somebody else's.

Try not to limit your food or "diet" etc. Just choose healthy options and have a bit of variety. A little bit of what you fancy does you good, my mum always said.

Try varying your routine a bit. I love zumba, running and a website called fitness blender. Their videos are free (and their workout plans cheap), they know their stuff, and the community on their app is mostly really positive. A lot of fitness and weight loss websites are about restriction and tbh body shaming but the fb community is good, as is the Zumba community. I have the Zumba exhilarate kit and for £30-50 it's pretty decent. I think they do a £10 video that you could try.

If I think of anything else I'll add it in - best of luck :smile:

Some really good advice here. The only thing I would add is that if you only eat the same things all the time then you will get bored. Try to learn a new recipe that fits in with your healthy lifestyle now and then, that way you can build up your repertoire of heathy meals. I aim for one new meal a month and get recipes from magazines and websites. You can use mfp to work out the calories before you choose to make it to ensure you make good choices.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest