Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Russia state-sponsored doping at Sochi Winter Olympics watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    In the biggest 'no **** Sherlock' news since Dr Watson told Mr Holmes he was constipated, a new report has strongly alleged that the Russian state engaged in a massive doping activity prior to Sochi 2014.

Full story here

Hopefully this sees Russia banned full stop from Rio, not just the track and field team.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Drewski)
    In the biggest 'no **** Sherlock' news since Dr Watson told Mr Holmes he was constipated, a new report has strongly alleged that the Russian state engaged in a massive doping activity prior to Sochi 2014.

Full story here

Hopefully this sees Russia banned full stop from Rio, not just the track and field team.
    Was just reading about this actually, and definitely agree that it should be extended across all of Rio.... Article from today on it here!
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    With the IOC passing the buck to the individual sports, so far it's just Athletics that has a total ban on Russian participation.
    Swimming, Canoeing, Rowing and Sailing have banned individuals, but many sports are still to declare their stance.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/36881326

The twist in the tail is Stepanova was the whistle-blower behind all this and despite IAAF allowing her to compete, the IOC has banned her!

ReputationRep:
    Well the corrupt IOC did not ban them outright.

At least the IPC, paraolympics, showed that they truly care about people and about clean athletes and blocked Russians from competing. Well done.

ps what a farce that Efimova went to CAS and they made FINA let her start. What kind of *******s is that, it's their competition, they can and should be allowed to say who can and cannot compete...
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Banning the whole team would have been more than slightly unfair to those who have no evidence against them at all though.. not to mention i'd be surprised if plenty of others aren't busy at it but are just better at hiding it. Plus if memory serves a couple of Brits have had serious issue raised with them plus some from China, ROC etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Napp)
    Banning the whole team would have been more than slightly unfair to those who have no evidence against them at all though.. not to mention i'd be surprised if plenty of others aren't busy at it but are just better at hiding it. Plus if memory serves a couple of Brits have had serious issue raised with them plus some from China, ROC etc.
    That is surely different to actual state-sponsored doping...at the end of the day, countries compete at the Olympics, they just choose who represents them. The country lost the privilege.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by inhuman)
    That is surely different to actual state-sponsored doping...at the end of the day, countries compete at the Olympics, they just choose who represents them. The country lost the privilege.
    They compete for their country but also themselves... If you ask any competitor if they or Britain won a medal they'll say them first...
    Either way Russia sent 436 people to the 2012 games, you think its perfectly okay to penalise hundreds of athletes who've dedicated their life tothe sport because of some rotten apples? Not to mention those people were threatened with an out right ban not just not competing for russia...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Napp)
    They compete for their country but also themselves... If you ask any competitor if they or Britain won a medal they'll say them first...
    Either way Russia sent 436 people to the 2012 games, you think its perfectly okay to penalise hundreds of athletes who've dedicated their life tothe sport because of some rotten apples? Not to mention those people were threatened with an out right ban not just not competing for russia...
    "some rotten apples"?

They are all doped mate. It's not a few who are, it's a few that aren't that are so good they can make the team without doping. And none but one decided to blow the whistle. They all know it's going on.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    "some rotten apples"?

They are all doped mate. It's not a few who are, it's a few that aren't that are so good they can make the team without doping. And none but one decided to blow the whistle. They all know it's going on.
    Oh please, whats the figure for positive tests 110 i believe? out of over 400.. you do know that 110 is smaller..? Granted its still a heinously large number and obviously punishment is due but seeing as;
    1] It's hardly fair to penalize the others for something they havent done
    2] Plenty of other countries have pinged for doping, granted nowhere near the same numbers but still the principle is the same.
    3] '76 USA Track & Field team had 23 positive tests, 12 in '83, 82 popped positive from the US in '84 ... shall i continue with the list there? Either way my point is whether people like it or not the Olympics in their modern form have a long and noble history of doping, along with more or less every sport, and whatever view you take on how to deal with that it still begs the question why Russia [who have done little out of the ordinary bar get caught] should see their innocent athletes shafted to make an unprecedented point.
    4] Banning one of the largest competitors from going doesnt exactly benefit anyone [not saying dont ban those who popped positive] and actively hinders the olympic mission, does it not? A greater example would be the '80 & '84 olympic Boycotts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)

Full story here

Everytime Russia competes can't help but think they've doped up (leading in any event in Rio)

:unimpressed:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Napp)
    Oh please, whats the figure for positive tests 110 i believe? out of over 400.. you do know that 110 is smaller..? Granted its still a heinously large number and obviously punishment is due but seeing as;
    1] It's hardly fair to penalize the others for something they havent done
    2] Plenty of other countries have pinged for doping, granted nowhere near the same numbers but still the principle is the same.
    3] '76 USA Track & Field team had 23 positive tests, 12 in '83, 82 popped positive from the US in '84 ... shall i continue with the list there? Either way my point is whether people like it or not the Olympics in their modern form have a long and noble history of doping, along with more or less every sport, and whatever view you take on how to deal with that it still begs the question why Russia [who have done little out of the ordinary bar get caught] should see their innocent athletes shafted to make an unprecedented point.
    4] Banning one of the largest competitors from going doesnt exactly benefit anyone [not saying dont ban those who popped positive] and actively hinders the olympic mission, does it not? A greater example would be the '80 & '84 olympic Boycotts.
    1) They didn't say anything. They were given the opportunity to compete if they can prove innocence. Usually it's you need to be proven guilty, but they just turned it the other way round. And don't you think it says quite a bit if only a single athletics competitor was able to prove to having been rigorously tested and all negative?

2) Not on this scale. Not in this top-down approach.

3) Complete and utter ********. Pulling these numbers out of your arse? And the USA of all countries, how about the closest example, GDR? Would have been a lot better. Not done anything out of the ordinary? They used KGB agents at Sochi to help dupe drug tests by swapping samples for example.

4) That is your personal opinion. Many people have no problem with this...

Here: http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news...65a445ef00767d

nothing out of the ordinary my ass.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Surprised they haven't been perma-banned by this point tbh.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    1) They didn't say anything. They were given the opportunity to compete if they can prove innocence. Usually it's you need to be proven guilty, but they just turned it the other way round. And don't you think it says quite a bit if only a single athletics competitor was able to prove to having been rigorously tested and all negative?
    I never defended the ones popping positive, my arguement is solely that those who didnt shouldn't be punished...
    2) Not on this scale. Not in this top-down approach.
    Once again not something I dispute i merely mention it as the principle [if not the math] is the same.
    3) Complete and utter ********. Pulling these numbers out of your arse? And the USA of all countries, how about the closest example, GDR? Would have been a lot better. Not done anything out of the ordinary? They used KGB agents at Sochi to help dupe drug tests by swapping samples for example.
    I never said East Germany didn't? It was a world leader in doping its athletes to the gills in fact, whats your point though? I use the USA as they were the loudest screamer for blood.
    Err are you simple or incapable of using google? the 83' Pam-am games 12 americans left before they could compete due to screenings, '84 olympics 84 olympic hopefuls tested positive and were denied places on the teams [bar 2] and 9 positive tests during the games were destroyed.

4) That is your personal opinion. Many people have no problem with this...
    I cant read this article?
    No **** its my opinion, one shared by many others though. You for instance just seem to be cherry picking punishments. as i have shown plenty of other countries have had doping problems and several at Rio either have serious doubt over their cleaness hanging over them, have popped in the past and by your arguement shouldnt be there now etc.

nothing out of the ordinary my ass.
    You're saying people havent been doping at the olympics for decades...?
    https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...rSBOQQ6AEITjAI
    http://www.nytimes.com/1994/08/30/sp...yed-in-84.html
    https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...LMkXqW9I7nWMVw
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/poste...-off-the-hook/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Napp)
    I never defended the ones popping positive, my arguement is solely that those who didnt shouldn't be punished...

Once again not something I dispute i merely mention it as the principle [if not the math] is the same.

I never said East Germany didn't? It was a world leader in doping its athletes to the gills in fact, whats your point though? I use the USA as they were the loudest screamer for blood.
    Err are you simple or incapable of using google? the 83' Pam-am games 12 americans left before they could compete due to screenings, '84 olympics 84 olympic hopefuls tested positive and were denied places on the teams [bar 2] and 9 positive tests during the games were destroyed.

I cant read this article?
    No **** its my opinion, one shared by many others though. You for instance just seem to be cherry picking punishments. as i have shown plenty of other countries have had doping problems and several at Rio either have serious doubt over their cleaness hanging over them, have popped in the past and by your arguement shouldnt be there now etc.

You're saying people havent been doping at the olympics for decades...?
    https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...rSBOQQ6AEITjAI
    http://www.nytimes.com/1994/08/30/sp...yed-in-84.html
    https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...LMkXqW9I7nWMVw
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/poste...-off-the-hook/
    What a joke your reply is. Why bother writing all that crap without actually replying to anything?

Just two examples, first the USA, you say they didn't even let them compete. Russia made sure those athletes had their urine samples swapped. I never said there isn't doping, I said there isn't this top down approach with sports ministers deciding who to throw to the dogs to show "oh look here are our cheats" and who to save. With holes in walls to swap samples.

Not gonna waste time on you anymore.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    What a joke your reply is. Why bother writing all that crap without actually replying to anything?

Just two examples, first the USA, you say they didn't even let them compete. Russia made sure those athletes had their urine samples swapped. I never said there isn't doping, I said there isn't this top down approach with sports ministers deciding who to throw to the dogs to show "oh look here are our cheats" and who to save. With holes in walls to swap samples.

Not gonna waste time on you anymore.
    Your grasp of English is troubling, which bit of my arguement that INNOCENT Russian athletes shouldn't be punished are you having trouble with?

No two I can be bothered to make, listing every athletes that tested positive would be laborious. Not to mention my point was with regard to countries that have had serious doping problems, not about how/who/why.

Simple chap.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 9, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.