Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi I just finished my A level and due to start a new temporary part time summer job.
    I am confused, do i have to pay any kind of tax since I am 18 years old?

ReputationRep:
    The first £11000 you earn each year is tax free. There'll be a small amount for national insurance.

ReputationRep:
    Everyone who works has to pay tax if they earn enough. The current limit is 11k per year so if you earn less than that in your part time job then you're fine. Thing is it's your employers responsibility to sort all of that out. You don't pay it yourself, your employer takes it off of your wage and pays it for you.

I doubt your part time job will pay that much. You should keep in mind that if you already have a part time job and get another one, they automatically take 20% tax from your second job earnings unless you contact them to inform them how much you earn from your first job so they can adjust it accordingly

ReputationRep:
    If you do have to pay Tax then it will be deducted automatically in your pay and this will be evident in your payslip, so don't panic. you don't have to do anything and the likelihood is that you won't have to pay any tax unless you're earning tonnes which I doubt

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Devify)
    Everyone who works has to pay tax if they earn enough. The current limit is 11k per year so if you earn less than that in your part time job then you're fine. Thing is it's your employers responsibility to sort all of that out. You don't pay it yourself, your employer takes it off of your wage and pays it for you.

I doubt your part time job will pay that much. You should keep in mind that if you already have a part time job and get another one, they automatically take 20% tax from your second job earnings unless you contact them to inform them how much you earn from your first job so they can adjust it accordingly
    yh I remember when I started my second part time job and i lost out on £50 on my first pay slip but then I sorted it and got my refund in the end
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Coconut29)
    Hi I just finished my A level and due to start a new temporary part time summer job.
    I am confused, do i have to pay any kind of tax since I am 18 years old?
    it depends if you pursue further education. if your a student, your tax exempt (band N or something) but otherwise it is no tax if you earn <£11k from april-april; if you earn <£46k april to april, then the 1st 11K is tax free, the other 35k is taxed 20%)

ReputationRep:
    Your age/student status and all of that doesn't come into it. If you're earning over 11k then you'll be taxed.

Keep in mind they go off monthly earnings so if you're working full time over the summer (earning about 1000 a month) but then drop back down to part time hours you'll be taxed on the paychecks where you work full time. You are able to claim this back though =)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Devify)

I agree.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.