Turn on thread page Beta

Medical schools that you only need apply once to apply for both 4 and 5 year GEM. watch

ReputationRep:
    Which Universities automatically defer a failed application to for the 4 year GEM route and place your application onto the 5 year GEM route?

Just wondering if anyone knows has experienced this. I have read somewhere that there is no need to apply for both these courses with the same medical school if that university re-enters you on the 5 year course if your 4 year application fails.

Thanks for any help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AdamCW)
    Which Universities automatically defer a failed application to for the 4 year GEM route and place your application onto the 5 year GEM route?

Just wondering if anyone knows has experienced this. I have read somewhere that there is no need to apply for both these courses with the same medical school if that university re-enters you on the 5 year course if your 4 year application fails.

Thanks for any help.
    King's does if you reach the interview stage for the 4-year GPEP course. That's not to say you'll definitely receive an offer for the 5-year course at worst - it depends on both how well you did at the GPEP interview and to the number of spaces not taken up by school leavers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ah639)
    King's does if you reach the interview stage for the 4-year GPEP course. That's not to say you'll definitely receive an offer for the 5-year course at worst - it depends on both how well you did at the GPEP interview and to the number of spaces not taken up by school leavers.

Good to know. I thought there were more that offered this but I'll do some research.

It's handy to know though as it's like an extra backup without using one of your 4 choices.

ReputationRep:
    Does it work the other way at King's or any other Med school? I.e apply to the 5-year course and automatic consideration for the 4-year course?

ReputationRep:
    No. Well, not that I can see anyway. Apply to the 4 course and get to the interview stage but fail, and you will get an interview for the 5 year course is how I understand it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VARRRDAQ)
    Does it work the other way at King's or any other Med school? I.e apply to the 5-year course and automatic consideration for the 4-year course?
    Nope, 4-year courses are even more fiercely oversubscribed with applications so it wouldn't make sense to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ah639)
    Nope, 4-year courses are even more fiercely oversubscribed with applications so it wouldn't make sense to.
    True! Do you know of any other than King's for the other way round?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 26, 2016
Poll
Favourite type of bread

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.