Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have been considering studying abroad for quite a while but it was only in the past few months that I decided I want to study in South Korea at Seoul National University. I'm just not sure on how I would do that? And my college seems to mainly be focusing on helping students who want to study in this country so i don't feel like I'm getting to support to be able to understand how to go about applying to a university abroad

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I am also very interested in studying in south Korea for university and like you I don't feel like I am getting support from school. However I have been doing research myself on applying to university there especially Seoul National University.

For international students wishing to apply there they have an guide on how to do that. Below is the guide for spring, undergraduate international student admissions 2017.

Just out of curiosity which course are you thinking of doing?
    Also you thinking of entering in 2017? (I want to enter in 2017)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dreamy9)
    Hi, I am also very interested in studying in south Korea for university and like you I don't feel like I am getting support from school. However I have been doing research myself on applying to university there especially Seoul National University.

For international students wishing to apply there they have an guide on how to do that. Below is the guide for spring, undergraduate international student admissions 2017.

Just out of curiosity which course are you thinking of doing?
    Also you thinking of entering in 2017? (I want to enter in 2017)
    http://www.useoul.edu/upload/admissi...ver=2016-05-04

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know what the entry requirements are for medicine I cant find it and which universities offer medicine, thanks I'm interested in them all but especially SNU.

ReputationRep:
    I want to study in South Korea too, but I can't seem to find which courses will be in English and if I fail the TOPIK test does that mean I cannot study there? Can any of you speak any Korean?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by islaN)
    I want to study in South Korea too, but I can't seem to find which courses will be in English and if I fail the TOPIK test does that mean I cannot study there? Can any of you speak any Korean?
    Ewha uni has English courses

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sara22.09)
    Ewha uni has English courses
    that's true but its all women...I'm just going to have to look into it more
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

(Original post by islaN)
    that's true but its all women...I'm just going to have to look into it more
    Depending on what course you want to do, Yonsei University seems to offer some courses in English in their constituent college, Underwood International College. https://uic.yonsei.ac.kr/main/default.asp

Seoul National University seems to offer undergraduate courses in English as well

Most of KAIST's courses are taught in English.

It really depends on where you want to go and what you want to study.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MangoDaebak10)
    Does anyone know what the entry requirements are for medicine I cant find it and which universities offer medicine, thanks I'm interested in them all but especially SNU.
    In Seoul, you can apply for SNU, Yonsei, Korea, Catholic University, and Chung Ang. The basic requirements are your high school grades, TOEFL, and TOPIK (Korean language proficiency test). FYI, most of them (except for Korea and Yonsei, which I'm not really sure) require an interview in Korean, while Chung Ang requires a math entrance exam.

However, as you know Korean high schoolers may be insane when it comes to studying...especially with medicine, dentistry, nursing, etc medical field related courses since they guarantee a professional job in the future upon graduation. If you are doing the IB Diploma, a 44 or even 45 will not guarantee you getting accepted. From what I've seen nowadays, ppl are also doing BOTH the IBDP and the APs to win the competition. Not only that but most seem to have high scores in the SAT (2300+ / 1500+ for the new one) as well as other exams such as TOEFL, etc. Hospital internships and others are also crucial for your application. SNU seems to require an entrance interview (they do say that it's not required, but it seems that most who get in do the interviews) to check your Korean proficiency. They do ask difficult stuff such as 고사성어 (the Hanja 4-character proverbs), etc etc via Skype.

Medical schools in Seoul are insane (usually only 2 are chosen per year per school). That's why many others also try for schools outside of Seoul, such as Yonsei Wonju, etc. Medical schools outside of Seoul are still considered prestigious; they are known to be even harder than SNU Engineering.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Today I learnt: People who want to study in South Korea are people who don't keep up with the news.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.