Turn on thread page Beta

Can we have a sub-forum for...... watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Discussion of websites? Could be in the technology section. People could discuss the merits of various different websites out there, would be cool.

ReputationRep:
    Its an idea. The official policy still stands of getting 10 people that would still discuss it and have 100 plus posts

Another problem is that many websites are banned as they are rivals.

ReputationRep:
    You might as well have a subforum called "Get your free advertising here"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nefarious)
    You might as well have a subforum called "Get your free advertising here"
    Not at all, because it would include criticisms and gripes too.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by naivesincerity)
    Not at all, because it would include criticisms and gripes too.
    Yeah, but you know people would go and post their own websites up there. Whether people like the website or not, that's still free advertising.

ReputationRep:
    I for one would. So it's a bad idea :p:
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    Surely websites are best discussed in the sections they relate to - so one about food in the food section, one about holiday destinations in the travel section.

I'm sure there is space for general websites in either the technology sections or in general discussion.

ReputationRep:
    I like the idea ;yes;

It would be a good feedback channel for folks who are developing their own sites.

(Original post by Tufts)
    I like the idea ;yes;

It would be a good feedback channel for folks who are developing their own sites.
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=267254 :p:

ReputationRep:
    I just got pwned

ReputationRep:
    I quite like the idea, but it would have to be heavily moderated to prevent obvious plugs and illegal material

ReputationRep:
    (this is not a yes so don't jump on it)

I'd suggest "The Internet" rather than just websites?
    And would need to be in such a way that it doesn't get spammed to hell and back, so suggest some solutions to that

ReputationRep:
    Check AAM - there is an answer on there. Usually there has to be sufficient demand for a new forum to be opened as the official line is that empty forums do more harm than good on TSR

ReputationRep:
    More Minimods

Would there be a way to make each new topic an application form, so that they have to post the web address they are talking about. The system then searches, and if it finds the thread, it prevents the new thread being formed.

If it is part of the extreme perma ban list (previous history of spamming our forums but not somewhere like ygf, it also prevents the formation of the thread
    Advertising is reported and referred to moderators.

ReputationRep:
    I was thinking while reading through it would prob require a good bit of coverage yes, but we don't appoint minions immediately for new forums.

As to your suggestion, there's thread moderation like there is for anon in H&R, but I don't know if we could get anything that complex really Still, thread moderation is an idea.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acaila)
    I was thinking while reading through it would prob require a good bit of coverage yes, but we don't appoint minions immediately for new forums.
    Appoint one for technology as a whole then, maybe? :hmmmm: That way you get a minimod covering the new sub-forum as well.

Thread moderation could be an idea e.g. something that mod queues [url] tag containing posts. Doesn't completely stop people getting around it but then anyone dodging the use of [url] tags could be reported.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by dangle)
    Appoint one for technology as a whole then, maybe? :hmmmm: That way you get a minimod covering the new sub-forum as well.

Thread moderation could be an idea e.g. something that mod queues [url] tag containing posts. Doesn't completely stop people getting around it but then anyone dodging the use of [url] tags could be reported.
    Good god, we might as well put all the posts containing the letter Q in a queue (no pun intended). :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by generalebriety)
    Good god, we might as well put all the posts containing the letter Q in a queue (no pun intended). :p:
    I meant specifically for that sub-forum ;yes;

I don't see how it's that much of a problem really. Would make a lot of threads appear in the queue but they're going to go in a queue anyway if it's a thread moderation area - this would actually shortern the list of threads being moderated (hopefully).

ReputationRep:
    To be fair, we are still waiting for separate mac and pc subforums which we were promised, and I think they would be in more demand than a website subforum...

ReputationRep:
    AP - go bump your AAM thread about that if you want. Pig was dealing with that IIRc, so I haven't done anything cos I don't know what was meant to be happening.

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.