Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey all,

I'm moving to Cardiff in Sept and just wondering if it is essential to drink at freshers?
    I'm a big fitness / weightlifting nut, I don't drink or do any drugs

From what friends have told me it's all about drinking and clubbing etc but that's just not me at all. Combined with the fact I'm 26 as well, so I'm totally not into the whole club scene that the younger students will be into.

What to do?

ReputationRep:
    You will be with mature students, I hope. They won't care if you drink or not.

ReputationRep:
    No, you don't need to drink at all.

ReputationRep:
    No you don't have to drink. This is asked every single year numerous times by people of all different ages, the answer is always no.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Harvlol)
    Hey all,

I'm moving to Cardiff in Sept and just wondering if it is essential to drink at freshers?

From what friends have told me it's all about drinking and clubbing etc but that's just not me at all. Combined with the fact I'm 26 as well, so I'm totally not into the whole club scene that the younger students will be into.

What to do?

Hello,

This is a complete common misconception. You don't not have to drink at all during Freshers. It's the one thing that I've come across that students worry about a lot - you don't have to drink at all. It's just the fact that the majority of students during Freshers do drink - forming the stereotype because even though there is various activities during the day in Freshers, it's the night time events that are mainly focused upon and so yeah, the stereotype is born from there.

You don't have to drink at all, you can enjoy Freshers without drinking as with many things - don't care what people think. Just enjoy yourself!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Study Helper
    You don't have to drink or go out clubbing, but if your uni does not have an accommodation option to house non-drinkers and have a quiet accommodation then worst comes to worst is that you will be put in with a bunch of party animals. But it doesn't mean you'll have a bad time as flatmates and so forth do stuff during the day like freshers fair and explore the town n stuff. There's plenty of stuff to do during the day.

You can still go and get fresher tickets with your flatmate and then speak to others in the queue. For instane, me and my flatmate did this and when I asked what degree she was doing, someone in front heard and they were doing the same degree. I meant some coursemates and told her to mingle and I'll see her back at the flat. It's all about experimenting and being confident enough to talk to people. Don't get so hung up on flatmates.

ReputationRep:
    I'll be 26 staying in accommodation this year also, I have no plans on getting drunk during freshers. I'm fine with the one drink but not the way some people get there selves.

I imagine there will be plenty of people who won't wanna drink as well as there been other mature students around aswell. Plus there is loads of activities during freshers that don't involve drinking.

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by Harvlol)
    Hey all,

What to do?

I don't drink as the taste makes me physically ill and I don't do drugs because I'm a coward. I'm sure there will be more to fresher so week than drink/drugs/clubbing and many people who will be avoiding these activities besides yourself. At the end of the day, these are the people most likely to share common interests with you and to become your friends. So, don't feel like you need to drink just to fit in with a bunch of people for whom this is a regular activity and therefore wouldn't make compatible long term friends for you.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.