Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I got a 3 in HL Chemistry... yea so I won't be getting the diploma...
    I got a C in Theory of knowledge
    I got a D in Extended Essay English :mad: (the irony that i got a 6 in HL Eng)
    ITGS SL 4 (the super duper easy exam) expected 6...
    My Korean pending...

OMG what happened???

Any want to share their experience/situation so i won't feel left out?

Thanks. take care.

ReputationRep:
    EE is very different for english HL in that the requirement and format is differnet to the exams..

hrm...D for TOK essay? ..were you expecting that or did you think u went pretty well and u were expecting a C and above?

if you marks in your final exams is 2 grades lower than your average exams youve done at school..then you might want to get your papers remarked...it is worth it

ReputationRep:
    i was expecting higher for my psych exam, but i guess my IA got deducted or something...
    my teacher is really dumb!!!
    and dont worry, it's not that easy to NOT get a diploma, so smile

ReputationRep:
    I was expecting a 38 n i got 27 (for five subjects, my Urdu B is pending) so evn if i get a 7, i will end up with a 34...doo u think an appeal would help. These are my grades

Urdu B: Pending
    B.M H.L: 6
    Eco H.L: 6
    Physics H.L:4
    Maths S.L: 5 --and i have been getting a 7 in maths thorugh D.P 1 and D.P 2
    Eng S.L: 4
    T.O.K: A
    E.E in history: D

Bonus Pts: 2

ReputationRep:
    hey i was expecting around 38 and i got a 28.. how do i make an appeal??

ReputationRep:
    my friend was expecting to get 37 but got 29....

and as for me, I was expected to get 34 but got 30

ReputationRep:
    I can understand expecting to get 40 and falling short by having really bad days and getting say 36/37. These people who got 29, thinking they would get 37, must've been lied to or convinced themself of something false. It's kinda ridiculous. I did IB, expected about 41/42 and got 40. Even though I did IB, I know more about A levels. Its absurd to think that in A levels someone might expect AAA and get CCC. I think its a case of people thinking they're bright just because they take IB. That's not the case. I did the work - and I got the grade. People who fell short, did not do enough work and stop all this complaining - your grade is yours, don't complain like a baby.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JMoore)
    I can understand expecting to get 40 and falling short by having really bad days and getting say 36/37. These people who got 29, thinking they would get 37, must've been lied to or convinced themself of something false. It's kinda ridiculous. I did IB, expected about 41/42 and got 40. Even though I did IB, I know more about A levels. Its absurd to think that in A levels someone might expect AAA and get CCC. I think its a case of people thinking they're bright just because they take IB. That's not the case. I did the work - and I got the grade. People who fell short, did not do enough work and stop all this complaining - your grade is yours, don't complain like a baby.
    :ditto:

ReputationRep:
    I got a 5 for chem... which really messes everything up now. I was predicted/ expecting a 6, which I know is only 1 mark difference, but it affects things a LOT because I'm an '08 candidate so will be applying with this mark.

Sometimes people get unrealistic predicted scores from teachers who tend to predict a bit higher for applications (happens in my school for sure), so you can't really blame people who expect their score to be higher. One extra point in every subject works out to be quite a lot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deathlyhallow)
    I got a 5 for chem... which really messes everything up now. I was predicted/ expecting a 6, which I know is only 1 mark difference, but it affects things a LOT because I'm an '08 candidate so will be applying with this mark.

Sometimes people get unrealistic predicted scores from teachers who tend to predict a bit higher for applications (happens in my school for sure), so you can't really blame people who expect their score to be higher. One extra point in every subject works out to be quite a lot.
    :ditto:

You also have to see how accurate your school is interms of prediction and if they have good records. Sorry to say this but not all IB schools have the same standard, and your school might be new at IB. If you've felt that your grades were pretty easy to achieve, then your teachers were pretty easy on you. However, even if your school was up to standard, you might be on the borderline of your grades and chances are that you will be predicted the higher mark. So technically you could get a predicted 45 but it might turn out to be a 39 or even less, so don't be surprised if your scores drop by alot...unless of course its a 2 point drop from 1 subject, then you should appeal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deathlyhallow)
    :ditto: though I was mad for my school being harsh with predicted grades, I'm glad they are after I got my results:p: I always thought I';d get a 40 no sweat, and ended up getting the same grades as I was predicted (for now, still waiting for remarks)

ReputationRep:
    Generally, I think a lot of schools and teachers over predict students usually by what I have seen by 2, 3 or 4 marks out of the whole 45 so someone predicted 38 might end up with 35 or so. I think it's the way the exams are sqeezed in so tightly to one another that kills the students.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know what I was predicted. But I expected/wanted a 38. I got a 38 but with a different distribution than the one I expected.

ReputationRep:
    i was predicted 42 i got 38 i got a 5 in frenchSL when i did HL and was predicted a 7 throughout. i was 1% off a 6 in french 1 % off a 7 in english 3 % off a 7 in maths and 3% off a 7 in comp sci...yes it hurts :p:

ReputationRep:
    sometimes the teachers overpredicted their students because they want to help them to get into univ. i expected 39 or 40, ended up getting 36. i am still mad with my Business an Management SL in which i expected a 7 or at least a 6 but i got 5 instead! now i blame my pen for running out of ink during the exam! haha!
    i needed at least 5 to get into barts for Maths HL but i got 4! i'm lucky my insurance doesnt look at maths

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andy_cole2)
    i was predicted 42 i got 38 i got a 5 in frenchSL when i did HL and was predicted a 7 throughout. i was 1% off a 6 in french 1 % off a 7 in english 3 % off a 7 in maths and 3% off a 7 in comp sci...yes it hurts :p:
    are you remarking all those near misses? Seems like the markers just giv eyou the raw score, no matter how close, probably generated by a computer from the different inputs. But remarking is more personal and more likely to find an extra mark, especially the languages and essay type questions.

ReputationRep:
    i only went for the remark in french, this is something i find quite annoying about IB, it seems these extra marks u get for remarks are more an example of how well off your family are., most remarks that get sent through seem to go up, well about half, so if i resubmitted all 5 that weren't 7s already i could be looking at 2 / 3 more points, doesn't seem right that better off students can afford the gamble, i only took it on one paper...will probs regret it l8r but oh well...

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Applying to university
Uni match

Your perfect course is here

Let our match making tool match you up with your ideal uni

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.