(Original post by Anonymous)
    I was an online catfish for 10 years, but I quit it this year. AMA
    Why? What led you to do this?

ReputationRep:
    I was an online catfish for 10 years, but I quit it this year. AMA
    How was the worms? Tasty?

ReputationRep:
    why? i find it the most pathetic thing in the world..

(Original post by Joshhh)
    Why? What led you to do this?
    I can't pinpoint an exact reason why I became a catfish, but I guess it started because as a kid I had a lot of random people on MSN and I saw the Internet as a place where you can be anybody and so I'd come home from school/after school activities and come online and talk to different people as someone else. It was a form of escapism from the real world, I believe.

Even now, other than Insta, I don't mix my real self online with people I know irl, I think that's so boring and seperate the two.

So essentially, when I catfished, I viewed the Internet as a place to meet new people as someone else and it was exciting.

ReputationRep:
    I can't pinpoint an exact reason why I became a catfish, but I guess it started because as a kid I had a lot of random people on MSN and I saw the Internet as a place where you can be anybody and so I'd come home from school/after school activities and come online and talk to different people as someone else. It was a form of escapism from the real world, I believe.

Even now, other than Insta, I don't mix my real self online with people I know irl, I think that's so boring and seperate the two.

So essentially, when I catfished, I viewed the Internet as a place to meet new people as someone else and it was exciting.
    Would you say the real you is insecure on that basis? Or are you actually quite happy and confident about who you are as a person in real life?

(Original post by the bear)
    why did you stop EW ?
    I stopped catfishing because I fell out with the last person who knew my catfish persona and we cut each other off and I had no interest in getting to know anyone new, it takes too long and it's exhausting tbh.

The other people I've catfished were no longer in my life either.

ReputationRep:
    you must feel absolutely disgusted with yourself, huh?

ReputationRep:
    So was your dad a cat and your mum a fish or the other way around

(Original post by Joshhh)
    Would you say the real you is insecure on that basis? Or are you actually quite happy and confident about who you are as a person in real life?
    I was v insecure as a kid and a teen due to bad experiences at school. Up until the latter years of my catfishing, I didn't make much effort with my real self, like I didn't use FB or anything. It was quite odd phasing out my real life and giving all of my energy to the catfishing stuff.

I became much more happier and confident in myself when I started uni, when you really get to start over irl and 'find yourself'.

ReputationRep:
    Why did you catfish?

(Original post by sleepysnooze)
    you must feel absolutely disgusted with yourself, huh?
    No tbh, I loved living a secret life that way but I don't have the time or energy for it anymore.

(Original post by ckfeister)
    How was the worms? Tasty?
    You know it.

(Original post by loveleest)
    Why did you catfish?
    See my previous answers.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Did you develop any feelings with people you met? Like did you want to reveal your feelings for them as well as telling them that you are a catfish?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Zargabaath)
    You were supposed to be her friend, I'd never expect this type of thing from you of all people
    Are you okay? :confused:

And good for you OP, in eventually finding yourself IRL at university. Must be really mentally exhausting having to live and maintain a separate life for so long.

ReputationRep:
    I was v insecure as a kid and a teen due to bad experiences at school. Up until the latter years of my catfishing, I didn't make much effort with my real self, like I didn't use FB or anything. It was quite odd phasing out my real life and giving all of my energy to the catfishing stuff.

I became much more happier and confident in myself when I started uni, when you really get to start over irl and 'find yourself'.
    cheers for the answers, very insightful!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Zargabaath)
    I don't like it when people make baseless accusations about my friends, especially when they're not around to defend themselves.
    The OP is anonymous, no one is insulting them and anon hasn't raised any issues. It's all fine.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, I wouldn't mind being a goldfish for a while, but I'm no good at swimming

ReputationRep:
    Did the people find out you catfished them?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 20, 2017

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.