The Student Room Group

I was a catfish for 10 years. AMA

Scroll to see replies

You are posting anonymously. Is your TSR account a fake persona too?
Original post by Defraction
Did you develop any feelings with people you met? Like did you want to reveal your feelings for them as well as telling them that you are a catfish?

Yeah, there were at least 3 people I had a "thing" with, two were about a year each and the last one was a little over 2 years but they ended because it couldn't go any further and so I had to make them loose interest in me.

The last person was the only one I had thoughts about telling them I'm a catfish, but it just wouldn't have worked and they wouldn't have accepted it so I never did. That person used to watch the catfish show all the time as well and they were still naive.
Original post by AndrewSCO
You are posting anonymously. Is your TSR account a fake persona too?

Nah, I'm not established on this. Asked a few irl things about uni/career, watch some threads sometimes.

I'm posting on anon for my own privacy as this is my deepest and darkest secret that I've kept to myself my entire life.
Original post by Anonymous
Yeah, there were at least 3 people I had a "thing" with, two were about a year each and the last one was a little over 2 years but they ended because it couldn't go any further and so I had to make them loose interest in me.

The last person was the only one I had thoughts about telling them I'm a catfish, but it just wouldn't have worked and they wouldn't have accepted it so I never did. That person used to watch the catfish show all the time as well and they were still naive.

Do you feel guilty about them?
Original post by Angel83
Did the people find out you catfished them?

No one ever knew. Eventually I had to make them loose interest in me when the girls kept asking to meet.
The longest "thing" I had with anyone through catfishing was a little over 2 years and she never knew, even though she watched the t.v show catfish all the time and we never facetimed or anything.
I wonder if anyone else was doing the exact same thing to you so you both weren't real. You never know with this online dating.
As someone who's been lied to online, I find that really disgusting. But I'm glad you finally stopped, please realise you might have seriously impacted people's lives and that's not funny. It's devastating for the person who gets deceived. :frown:

Was there ever a moment before you stopped where you wanted to stop, but didn't care enough to stop?
Original post by Poooky
Do you feel guilty about them?

I did feel guilty at the time because we had feelings for each and got into it "too deep" and I know I really hurt them girls by leading them on, since I knew the whole time that it would never progress into anything real.

I stopped feeling guilty once they had moved on and purposefully tried to hurt me back. All of them ended up getting someone new before we had 'broken up' type of thing and it ended badly with them all.

When I think of them now I feel nothing.
I was an online catfish for 10 years, but I quit it this year. AMA
Can we be friends???????????? Loool it sounds so dodgy. Pm if you want:smile:
No tbh, I loved living a secret life that way but I don't have the time or energy for it anymore.

wow...you're...dark...
What does 'OP' mean? original poster?
What's life like now? Have you been in any real relationships since? Do you feel you'd enjoy catfishing more than a real relationship?
Reply 33
I was an online catfish for 10 years, but I quit it this year. AMA

Did you catch any mice?
I make friends online, get really close to people, then never talk to them again.

I do it in real life too.
I make friends online, get really close to people, then never talk to them again.

What's the reasoning?
Original post by Eternalflames
As someone who's been lied to online, I find that really disgusting. But I'm glad you finally stopped, please realise you might have seriously impacted people's lives and that's not funny. It's devastating for the person who gets deceived. :frown:

Was there ever a moment before you stopped where you wanted to stop, but didn't care enough to stop?

I know there were times when I did break their hearts, but eventually I pushed all of them to the point where they no longer gave a f.u.c.k about me and they retaliated by getting with someone new. They hurt me back and things ended on bad terms with all of them and they made it quite clear that they got over me.

When I had a "thing" with people, they were long term and so I couldn't stop what I loved to do.

I was going to stop after it ended with a girl I catfished for 2 years and we loved each other but because nothing ever progressed, things turned sour and she ended up sleeping with some guy before we ended properly.
Then after her, another girl came back into my life (just friends) who I knew for about 3-4 years but we drifted. We became really close again, but ended cutting each other off after 6 months, which was in January. A month after that, I stopped using any of my catfish social media because she was the last person who I knew.
1. Do you think you'll ever do it again- why or why not?
2. Have you ever been catfished yourself? If so, how did it make you feel?
3. If a friend/family member was doing it, would you encourage them to stop?
4. What has been your best experience with it so far/ your best memory from catfishing?
5. How to tell if someone is catfishing you?

Same, that's what happened with the last girl I spoke to when I was catfishing.
I knew her for 3-4 years and kept drifting, but we reconnected this time last year and became super close until January. I lost interest in her because she kept talking about guys who were into her/that she has f*cked,and it really pissed me off. Then one day I didn't reply and we literally just stopped messaging each other without an explanation.
yeah, thanks - thought that's what it meant. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest