Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Will the UK become the Eastern Europe of the West thanks to Brexit? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    When the 5% of the population that are supporting the UK economy leave due to Brexit, will the UK become the new Eastern Europe of the West?

ReputationRep:
    Doubt it.

ReputationRep:
    No, the UK will be just fine my friend

ReputationRep:
    The plague of locusts will consume us long before then

ReputationRep:
    I don't believe it would get that bad, even if does become rocky for a while. There are islands in the world that sustain good economies even outside of the EU.

I mean, sure, if the EU invades the UK to force it back into the EU, then I can see it becoming like Eastern Europe. But otherwise, no.

ReputationRep:
    It'll be interesting to see what happens in the next few years. I don't personally feel we're going to be doing a maximum Brexit, Theresa May (pro-EU) is in power rather than Leadsom so we'll probably end up Brexit-ing on paper but not very much in practice.

I'd imagine it'd be closer to the terms of EEA membership rather than EU membership, technically listening to the people but avoiding the economic and political calamity of actually leaving (Scotland will almost certainly disunion with Northern Ireland to follow suit, as well as a tidal wave of issues relating to the exchange rates and business interests/consumer confidence)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rather_Cynical)
    I'd imagine it'd be closer to the terms of EEA membership rather than EU membership, technically listening to the people but avoiding the economic and political calamity of actually leaving (Scotland will almost certainly disunion with Northern Ireland to follow suit, as well as a tidal wave of issues relating to the exchange rates and business interests/consumer confidence)
    so it would be worse for Uk than it's now- remember, Norway has, for example, greater amounts of laws created by the EU then UK (which is its member). also, having no saying in parliament means we would have no influence on the law-making process.
    but no, i don't think, personally, that there will be a lot of changes. basic EU freedoms will be uphold, same with single market.

ReputationRep:
    It matters how many people leave. Scotland is going - depends when. A fair amount of EU nationals will consider leaving a unwelcoming and small minded country. Would be a prime opportunity for a brain drain - ads for businesses to move from London to Germany had popped up, wonder if more targeted measures will be seen soon. Most likely short term future will be rough, long term will be worse off but fine - all in all, the nation divided and bitterness staying long term for something not worth it.*

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.