Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Since Pharmacy at LSOP is pretty top and first choice for many applicants, I thought I'd start a specific thread to bring to your attention (since no one has actually mentioned LSOP in the main thread in GUD(!)).

Here's the main discussion thread in GUD - List of bankrupt universities thread
    The Times confirms the universities which someone listed from the Guardian newspaper, in that thread.

School of Pharmacy does in fact refer to LSOP since in the UCAS search page LSOP is listed as 'S12 The School Of Pharmacy (University of London)'.

ReputationRep:
    Lord....and to think I was going to LSOP - no offence it looked like a great place to gain a degree- but its so good and you look at some of the unis on that list and think....
    Wait were the government going to publish this properly in newspapers or give to schools so students know what they are going in for. what would happen if you were studing a degree and the uni went bankrupted?

ReputationRep:
    Apparently the list was published in the Guardian a few days ago, but I think it missed out a couple of 'big' unis.

If you read the main thread, it talks about transferring to another uni to complete it. Of course, this may not be possible in all cases, so you're pretty screwed if you have an incompleted degree

BTW, just to note, some of the universities on that list are from a few years ago, so they may not all be in the danger zone now.

There are a few universities that did suprise me, LSOP included. It might have something to with them not offering any undergraduate BSc degrees (except 4-year-Pham which is technically a Masters)? Other than MPharm, the rest are normal masters and Phds. Now, lots of money usually comes from post graduate study, but perhaps this financial downfall (if true) can be explained by the poor popularity/demand of LSOP in general? Don't know, just a thought.

ReputationRep:
    Lsop seemed nice when i went. A fairly decent cafateria, nice white labs. I completely agree that part of the problem may be that they only offer one undergraduate degree

ReputationRep:
    bump, might be of use to some.

ReputationRep:
    This is over one year out of date though.

ReputationRep:
    what no way i am going to school of pharmacy in october this year please some one tell me this is not true

i know this is from last year but is it safe now

ReputationRep:
    wow how do u get to know b4 it actuall is in trouble or close. wat if u get graduated at a nuversity and one year later it closes and loses its licencse to offer pharmacy will that still effect us?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dr junior)
    wow how do u get to know b4 it actuall is in trouble or close. wat if u get graduated at a nuversity and one year later it closes and loses its licencse to offer pharmacy will that still effect us?
    i dont think that would be a problem becuase there is nothing wrong with teaching and its one of the top 5. correct me if i am wrong

i just want to finish the degree before it closes down

ReputationRep:
    lol they may be at top 5 cos they spending all the money to bribe their way to the top, ill bet u see them hit number 1 spot and then suddenly go bankqrupt.

ReputationRep:
    Hi all. I have read the article and seen the university that has been listed. However, I have to point out that on the article, it states "43 universities on Hefce's list of colleges at risk of financial failure between 1998 and 2003." and "School of Pharmacy
    Category 2* between January 1998 and February 2001." which brings me to a conclusion that this article may only be talking about university at risk during 1998 and 2003. It is now 2008 and LSOP is still going well so this brings doubts to me that LSOP is really "at risk" anymore. Please correct me if I have mistaken.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Northern Star)
    Hi all. I have read the article and seen the university that has been listed. However, I have to point out that on the article, it states "43 universities on Hefce's list of colleges at risk of financial failure between 1998 and 2003." and "School of Pharmacy
    Category 2* between January 1998 and February 2001." which brings me to a conclusion that this article may only be talking about university at risk during 1998 and 2003. It is now 2008 and LSOP is still going well so this brings doubts to me that LSOP is really "at risk" anymore. Please correct me if I have mistaken.
    yes i read it and it says that :woo: i am saved :p:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 16, 2008

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.