Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey..I left school after my AS levels to go to college to do a vocational BTEC im 19 now and thinking of going back to school to finish my A levels so i can choose from both options...can anyone think of any boarding schools that would give you scholarships to do this? Im g8 at music if thatd help?

ReputationRep:
    When you say great at music, do you mean that in a formal sense (ie can you plan an instrument to a high standard?)? Bursaries are available, but there are very, very few that will give you 100% of the fees and you generally have to be an extremely clever and talented individual (I'm not saying that you aren't though!), and the fees are extremely expensive.

ReputationRep:
    Why does it have to be a boarding school?

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes I wish I went to a boarding school.....no idea why!

ReputationRep:
    somei do better educatin maybe

ReputationRep:
    'I want,' that's the crux of the problem.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *River)
    When you say great at music, do you mean that in a formal sense (ie can you plan an instrument to a high standard?)? Bursaries are available, but there are very, very few that will give you 100% of the fees and you generally have to be an extremely clever and talented individual (I'm not saying that you aren't though!), and the fees are extremely expensive.
    Does the OP meants that she is a grade 8 at music ? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    When you think of things that you are good at and music comes to mind, you know that they are pushing it a bit trying to get a 100% scholarship at a top boarding school when to do that you have to be academically talented as well.

ReputationRep:
    ^in addition, very, very few places give 100% scholarships, so you really do have to be exceptional to get one of the few that do exist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by campbell87)
    Sometimes I wish I went to a boarding school.....no idea why!
    Ever since I read Enid Blytons 'The naughtiest girl in the school' I've wanted to go

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plummie)
    Ever since I read Enid Blytons 'The naughtiest girl in the school' I've wanted to go
    I used to wish I was part of the Famous Five

ReputationRep:
    I really, really doubt that the majority of boarding schools would accept a 19 yr old pupil, most only accept pupils up to the age of 18 (obviously some pupils may turn 19 in their last year, but a school would be unlikley to accept a 19 yr old into the first year of A-Levels). The only exceptions I can think of are some of the 'crammer' colleges in places like Oxford and Cambridge, or somewhere like Hurtwood House, which also has a strong reputation in the arts. Scholarships are almost impossible to come by though, and generally go to people with *very* strong academic records.

ReputationRep:
    Unless you have exceptional GCSEs and all As at AS-levels, getting into a boarding school with a full scholarship is going to be very difficult. The majority of independent schools don't give 100% anyway with only a few offered to pupils. If you had an academic record like the one described above and possibly grade 6 and above on a certain instrument then you could get a 100% scholarship but very few people in the country have this sort of capability.

ReputationRep:
    Like Mathemagician.Funny says, there are very few 100% scholarships available. The only place that I can think of that offers these at A-Level is Gordonstoun, but I think that they require certain conditions to be fulfilled and again, at 19 you're going to be too old.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathemagician. Funny?)
    Unless you have exceptional GCSEs and all As at AS-levels, getting into a boarding school with a full scholarship is going to be very difficult. The majority of independent schools don't give 100% anyway with only a few offered to pupils. If you had an academic record like the one described above and possibly grade 6 and above on a certain instrument then you could get a 100% scholarship but very few people in the country have this sort of capability.

^ I think this is good advice.
    I go to a boarding school and board weekly. I would imagine that there are more partial grants more available to you than full scholarships. Having said that, if the school really want you because you are exceptionally talented I dont know whether this would be the case.

In terms wanting to go to boarding school, I can understand why. I like where I board it gives me the oppurtunity to study effectively, I find I work better in school then at home. However, at times I am ready to come home at the weekends...just something to bear in mind.

The best thing you can do, is to ask the schools/colleges yourself and visit them. Good luck

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it probably is easier to do work at school compared to home especially when you revise with the TV on.

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.