The Student Room Group

How to get experience in game design?

I try to apply for jobs in this sector but everytime it says something like 'Must have 2 years experience in [insert specific game design thing here]'. So, how and where do I get this experience from?

I'm not just doing this out of the bue, I should add, I have had some experience with it, including almost winning a BAFTA for a game I created once. But, nothing really like the serious and complicated stuff the jobs ask for.
Reply 1
Original post by similarBlank
I try to apply for jobs in this sector but everytime it says something like 'Must have 2 years experience in [insert specific game design thing here]'. So, how and where do I get this experience from?

Have you tried doing an internship?
Original post by kkboyk
Have you tried doing an internship?

How do I get one of them?

Find a list of game developers and email them asking.
Reply 4

Type in 'games design internship uk' on Google. Also try to apply to Rebellion (6th result on the list). You will need a portfolioand a CV.
Hmm have you looked at doing a game designe course at uni youncouldvals get somthing like RPG maker or UE 4 and get experiance that way.
Reply 6
I believe Microsoft at one point offered a certificate in game development though I do believe it was retired.. Essentially you need something credible on your CV. Unfortunately, without a related degree its going to be tough, also I dont believe gaming industry is that big here, it employs less than 10,000 people ad everything has gone to North America so even with a degree you may find it hard.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The EGX event usually has a careers fair component that might be worth checking out (unless you're already aware of it given your mention of BAFTA). Here's the news item on last year's (pretty sure it's on again this year).

Disclosure: I used to work for the organisers.
Original post by jungle_ninja
The EGX event usually has a careers fair component that might be worth checking out (unless you're already aware of it given your mention of BAFTA). Here's the news item on last year's (pretty sure it's on again this year).

Disclosure: I used to work for the organisers.

Yeah, I went to it in 2012 when it was known as Eurogamer. :smile: If it comes back to London I might go again and take a look for that.

I'm not just doing this out of the bue, I should add, I have had some experience with it, including almost winning a BAFTA for a game I created once. But, nothing really like the serious and complicated stuff the jobs ask for.

Try making games.
Original post by Juichiro
Try making games.

Which I've been doing for the past 4 years....
I think the role that'd be best for me is Game Programmer. My main experience in making games has been using a software which I used to make relatively small games, but, ultimately, my graphics are generally terrible and I'm guessing the main part that I'm doing is getting the game to work from scratch, i.e. programming.

I did have a portfolio on one gaming website but I found out about a month ago that that's now been taking down, the entire website was closed, and most of my games on their deleted. When starting a new one, are there any tips you'd give me on how to do this? If I was about to do it right now I'd probably create a website on Wix.com. Think that'd be a good idea or is there a better way?

Thanks. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending