Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm 24, and i have stressed myself out about uni so so much that i'm turning to this forum for help..

I have applied for uni every single year since i left school but each time i have applied for something different because i am interested in EVERYTHING i honestly can't decide what i want to study! I think i've put too much pressure on this decision and i could have been graduated by now (TWICE!) If i had just committed to one course!

I have a serious case of 'the grass is greener' and its seriously ruining my mental health. I know that i definitely want to go back to school, just have no clue what to do. My interests lie in Psychology, Sociology, Languages, and the Arts. I've applied to do a foundation year at Sussex but honestly i do not feel smart enough to go there. I've heard that Social Anthropology is a good course because its basically a mixture of a lot of subjects? Has anyone studied this?

Honestly this is more of a rant than a discussion but if anyone has any ideas for me they are welcome..

ReputationRep:
    “There comes a time when you ought to start doing what you want. Take a job that you love. You will jump out of bed in the morning. I think you are out of your mind if you keep taking jobs that you don't like because you think it will look good on your resume. Isn't that a little like saving up sex for your old age?”

Warren Buffett, The Oracle of Omaha

ReputationRep:
    I'm the same but I'm 16. No flipping clue on what I want to do. But unlike you I have little to no interest in any subject. My GCSE options were based on stupid ideas like "Geography so I can read a map. Computer science so I can hack games. Business because it looks good. French because my family speaks it"
    My A level subjects aren't any better. Still haven't decided on what I want just yet.

ReputationRep:
    How about a Liberal Arts degree? You can pick and choose modules in a similar way to the American system. Take a look at this one, for example:
    http://www.exeter.ac.uk/undergraduate/degrees/libarts/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Schadenfreude65)
    How about a Liberal Arts degree? You can pick and choose modules in a similar way to the American system. Take a look at this one, for example:
    http://www.exeter.ac.uk/undergraduate/degrees/libarts/
    I agree, a liberal arts degree sounds a good bet for you, or a joint honours degree.

I took history of art at a university where the department also taught archaeology, anthropology and museum studies, needless to say my history of art degree ended up being mostly anthropology via non-western art. I was able to choose modules within my department to reflect my interests rather than having a rigid classical art history education.

It's also worth remembering that many universities let you take non-core modules in other departments, or, if it's just a case of wanting to learn in general, you can sit in on lectures in other classes (with permission) or attend evening lectures from other departments you just need to find the info when you start the university.

ReputationRep:
    In your first year you can usually study more than one subject at once, say Psychology and Sociology, then drop one after the first year.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.