Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    http://www.examsolutions.net/a-level...e/paper.php#Q5

part b i can't get the value of the asymptote for the range of the original function

i've drawn the graph out and when x=0.5 y doesn't work but i don't know what to do from here onwards

ReputationRep:
    The asymptote is x=3. This gives 0 on denominator and of course division by 0 is not possible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by B_9710)
    The asymptote is x=3. This gives 0 on denominator and of course division by 0 is not possible.
    so what can i do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thegreatwhale)
    so what can i do?
    You said you couldn't find the asymptote. If it's part b you cannot do, it's just normal finding inverse, If you have a function y=f(x), just swap the x's and y's to find the equation of the inverse function. So for y=x+3, inverse has equation x=y+3, you can then rearrange if you want.

ReputationRep:
    You said you couldn't find the asymptote. If it's part b you cannot do, it's just normal finding inverse, If you have a function y=f(x), just swap the x's and y's to find the equation of the inverse function. So for y=x+3, inverse has equation x=y+3, you can then rearrange if you want.
    ah sorry it was the domain of the inverse and range of the original which got me stuck

i got y=\dfrac{e^x +1}{2}

ReputationRep:
    Well the domain of the inverse of g will be the range of the range of g as you said. It helps to know what the graph of y=g(x) looks like as it is quite a common function (rectangular hyperbola) and it has all range except 0, so  \nexists x \in \mathbb{R}, x\neq 3 : g(x)=0 .

ReputationRep:
    Well the domain of the inverse of g will be the range of the range of g as you said. It helps to know what the graph of y=g(x) looks like as it is quite a common function (rectangular hyperbola) and it has all range except 0, so  \nexists x \in \mathbb{R}, x\neq 3 : g(x)=0 .
    but this is f(x) ????

ReputationRep:
    but this is f(x) ????
    Oh I have misread your whole question. f is a simple transformation of the graph for ln x. You should probably be able to quickly recognise that it has all range.

ReputationRep:
    Oh I have misread your whole question. f is a simple transformation of the graph for ln x. You should probably be able to quickly recognise that it has all range.
    ah, how would i know this? by looking at the inverse or some other method?

ReputationRep:
    ah, how would i know this? by looking at the inverse or some other method?
    Well it's just a graph of lnx essentially. To get from lnx to the function f it is just 2 simple transformations so the graph will look more or less the same.
    The graph of lnx is expected to be standard knowledge in C3. For y=lnx, there will be a vertical asymptote - y axis - and the range is  -\infty < y < \infty .

ReputationRep:
    Well it's just a graph of lnx essentially. To get from lnx to the function f it is just 2 simple transformations so the graph will look more or less the same.
    The graph of lnx is expected to be standard knowledge in C3. For y=lnx, there will be a vertical asymptote - y axis - and the range is  -\infty < y < \infty .
    ah yes ok so x can be any real number thanks

ReputationRep:
    ah yes ok so x can be any real number thanks
    No, y can be any real number, x>0.
    Although you could extend the domain to negative numbers (and complex numbers) if you wanted to, but for C3 purposes, x>0 for lnx.

ReputationRep:
    No, y can be any real number, x>0.
    Although you could extend the domain to negative numbers (and complex numbers) if you wanted to, but for C3 purposes, x>0 for lnx.
    ah thanks all new stuff so learning more and more xd

ReputationRep:
    ah thanks all new stuff so learning more and more xd
    It's great that you're trying to learn it and get ahead. I would definitely recommend doing what you're doing. Get A* easy by exams next June.

ReputationRep:
    It's great that you're trying to learn it and get ahead. I would definitely recommend doing what you're doing. Get A* easy by exams next June.
    Hopefully that's what i can do, haven't even learnt fp1 yet o.o which i need to do by the end of this summer but i'm thinking i need trig and c3 differentiation and c4 integration to do fp1....

ReputationRep:
    Hopefully that's what i can do, haven't even learnt fp1 yet o.o which i need to do by the end of this summer but i'm thinking i need trig and c3 differentiation and c4 integration to do fp1....
    You don't

AS Maths differentiation is all you need. The implicit differentiation chapter of C4 may be handy, however, but is not required.
    I can't recall any integration in FP1, but if I am wrong it will only be at a C2 level.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JLegion)
    You don't

AS Maths differentiation is all you need. The implicit differentiation chapter of C4 may be handy, however, but is not required.
    I can't recall any integration in FP1, but if I am wrong it will only be at a C2 level.
    sounds good... so i guess i can move onto it right away....

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.