Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have experience with having a part time office job, while also studying for a masters? Does it work?

I work in an office and even though it's not my ideal industry to work in, the prospects there are good. I'm a little nervous of leaving to study a masters full time in case I regret giving up a good job, so I'm thinking of asking if I can stay there on a part time bases. It will also obviously benefit me financially. But I'm not sure if it will work and it will get in the way of my studies.

Has anyone ever successfully held down an office job part time while also completing a masters?

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I am going to be keeping my job as near enough full time whilst doing my masters. So hopefully I still have time to focus on the course.

I am going to be working 4 long days doing 35 hours, and then one day in University. I am doing my course part time though.

ReputationRep:
    It depends very much on the job and on the structure of the masters you are doing. If it is a lab-based course, or one with many fixed contact hours, it might be an issue but if it's one with few contact hours and a lot of self-directed study, it can work. It also depends how flexible the hours in your office job are.
    In my case, I did a Full-Time humanities masters while also working full-time. However, both my degree and job had flexible hours, and I could mainly do home office. I am nearly done with the degree now (only need to submit my dissertation, which still needs some polishing), and it has probably been the busiest year in my life. But there are also perks: Compared to other students, I never needed to worry about money, and my experiences from a professional environment helped me a huge lot in keeping deadlines, forcing myself to work for the degree, even if I didn't feel the slightest motivation, and keeping myself focused. Sometimes, when you're totally stuck with an essay, it can also be really helpful to distract yourself with a totally different kind of work.

ReputationRep:
    Depends on both the job and the course. And how much legwork you're prepared to do. Too many variables to usefully do much other than give examples.
    *Someone on my full-time Masters had to give up a part-time supermarket job, because their shift pattern wasn't flexible and wouldn't allow her to prioritise seminars. On the other hand, a friend managed a 25 hour a week job on top of a full-time Masters a two hour commute away. He arranged working hours to allow him to attend lectures three days a week, then worked in the uni library until the last train home, just after midnight.

ReputationRep:
    I will be starting a part-time masters programme this October and will be balancing it with a full-time administrative job! There are a few other threads about this, and although it will be a challenge it looks manageable if you have good time management skills and self-control!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all the replies! It's promising to hear that people have managed to juggle a job with studying. So I've requested my course timetable from the uni so hopefully this will give me an idea of wether or not I can practically work part time - thats if my employers allow it of course!

The other option is studying for my masters part time but I'm not sure if I want to dedicate two years to studying. I'm getting to the age where time isn't really on my side - which is partly the reason why I'm nervous to completely give up my job to study!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.