Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Can you help ? Need to choose from the Edexcel course.

Which 2 modules would you choose from M3,D2 and P6 ???

It would appear M3 and D2 are at the lower levels but I don't know much about D2 - anybody know what it is like.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sra)

It would appear M3 and D2 are at the lower levels but I don't know much about D2 - anybody know what it is like.

Thanks
    I would choose P6 probably, I personally prefer pure to the other 'disciplines' so to speak.

ReputationRep:
    Haven't a clue about D2, but if it's anything like D1 then personally, I'd go with M3 and P6.

ReputationRep:
    I am hoping that D2 is decision and discrete 2 for this reply to be valid.

I have done decision and discrete 2 for further maths. Some bits are really easy, such as floyds algorithm and the nearest neighbour algorithm, but booleon is rather hard, because you have to remember all the symbols. Personally, i would pick because i am no good at M1 let alone M3. P6 sounds hard too, because P4 was quite difficult, although not much more than P1.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leslee)
    I am hoping that D2 is decision and discrete 2 for this reply to be valid.
    Yeah, it is, only Edexcel just call it 'Decision'.

ReputationRep:
    Everyone I know who has done D2 has hated it.

In fact I don't know anyone who likes decision and discrete maths.

ReputationRep:
    I would definatly recommend doing P6 for further maths, it may not be the simplest, but it is far more rewarding and worthwhile than the others.

I did D2 and found it easy, even interesting in places, and I also did M3, which was more difficult to get your head round at first.

If you are doing physics then take M3. If you are NOT taking physics and are taking computing then take D2. Othewise id probebly suggest taking M3.

Overall choice, P6 and M3, unless you have a particular interest in decision mathematics (considering degree in computer science).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sra)

Thanks
    At my school, 1 teacher offers a 5 lesson course on D2, basically that is all you need. Still looks pretty boring compared to the others

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Valen)
    If you are doing physics then take M3. If you are NOT taking physics and are taking computing then take D2. Othewise id probebly suggest taking M3.
    Still, the stuff you do in M3 is harder than the same stuff in A Level Physics (SHM for example). Useful if you're considering doing a Physics degree though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sra)

Thanks
    M3... it's nice although p6 is also ok!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nylex)
    Still, the stuff you do in M3 is harder than the same stuff in A Level Physics (SHM for example). Useful if you're considering doing a Physics degree though.
    Even so, the majority of the topics are the same, even if the topics are covered in slightly more detail. This only means that the physics becomes much easier, and results in you getting a higher grade in physics. It helped me because I took M3 in my AS year, so when we covered circular motion and SHM in physics in the A2 year, it was a doddle.

ReputationRep:
    I just finished my A-level maths and further maths course, waiting for results.

i had the same problem as you in my second year when I had to decide and the tell our school's exam officer which modules to enter me for. I knew I had to chose two from M3, D2 and P6. To be honest I spent months deciding this, I used to sit down and go through the contents of each book like every week and still undecided, the thing is that I did physics so I thought that M3 will be handy, but I also did D1 so I thought I could do D2, and I love pure so I obviously wanted to do P6 as well!! So I decided that I will do M3 in january 2004 just to get a taste, so I did M3 in january, although I did Physics module 4 which includes most of the stuf from M3, but still I found it quite challenging to tackle M3, and when the results came out I got a lower grade for it compared to others which were As. After that I decided upon P6 and D2 and did both in June (didnt bother retaking M3 and omitted it from cash-ins for further maths so i did 7 modules!) anyway after doing D2 I CAN say that it IS the most easiest unit I have taken during the course, finished the book without any teaching in a week, its basic arithmetic and relatively simple for even a GCSE student to do. P6 was a bit difficult but not challenging like M3.

At the end I would tell you to do D2 (its so easy u will sail through it) and P6 because it has matrices unit and series expansion which are useful in all science based degrees.

And i think it depends whether ur 'Pure type' or 'mechanics type' person, because i know people who find mechanics far easier than pure. So you can weigh up your options by considering where your strength lies, if you like pure than mechanic than do P6 or vice versa, but definitely do D2, coz that way you will be able to focus on other modules as D2 will not take up much of your time..

hope this long-winded essay helps!!!

ReputationRep:
    But thats not really the point, we dont take further maths because it is easy, but because we will learn and become better. So choosing modules because we can learn them in a short space of time (i taught myself D2 in one day) isnt as rewarding.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Valen)
    But thats not really the point, we dont take further maths because it is easy, but because we will learn and become better. So choosing modules because we can learn them in a short space of time (i taught myself D2 in one day) isnt as rewarding.
    Isnt it funny reading posts and seeing the different ways that people can boast - and hide it within their reply.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *dave*)
    Isnt it funny reading posts and seeing the different ways that people can boast - and hide it within their reply.

OK, yeah having re-read my reply that does come across a little arrogent, so im sorry bout that. I was just trying to emphasise the point that D2 is much easier than M3, but less rewarding.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Valen)
    OK, yeah having re-read my reply that does come across a little arrogent, so im sorry bout that. I was just trying to emphasise the point that D2 is much easier than M3, but less rewarding.
    I know mate I was only havin a dig

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *dave*)
    I know mate I was only havin a dig
    Hmm, git!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Valen)
    Mr. Valen, you are obviously a gifted mathematician, but when you post things like that it does make me feel a little inferior... I mean I was on a bit of a high before now, having self-taught mechanics 1 for edexcel inside 3 weeks and around 40 hours work... I know you and many other mathematicians are quite supremely skilled, but I wish occassionally you super intelligent people would share those skills with the less mathematically gifted rather than discussing your conquests. That wasn't meant to be harsh, because many other talented 'mathmos' post worse things, but I am in a bad mood today. Sorry if it shows, but I just get sick of everyone being better than me sometimes... well not everyone, but y'know.. well maybe you dont actually... P6 EASY! I almost killed myself during P2..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobbieC)
    Mr. Valen, you are obviously a gifted mathematician, but when you post things like that it does make me feel a little inferior... I mean I was on a bit of a high before now, having self-taught mechanics 1 for edexcel inside 3 weeks and around 40 hours work... I know you and many other mathematicians are quite supremely skilled, but I wish occassionally you super intelligent people would share those skills with the less mathematically gifted rather than discussing your conquests. That wasn't meant to be harsh, because many other talented 'mathmos' post worse things, but I am in a bad mood today. Sorry if it shows, but I just get sick of everyone being better than me sometimes... well not everyone, but y'know.. well maybe you dont actually... P6 EASY! I almost killed myself during P2..
    I know, as i appologised up there, i didnt think before posting, and i was tired. Believe me im not trying to make you feel inferior. I should point out that it does get easier the more you know, its all relative. You should feel proud that you have achieved what you have, and nothing anyone says on here should take that away from you. There is always someone more gifted than you around, there are plenty of other mathemeticians on here who could wipe the floor with me.

Also i never said P6 was easy, in fact i said the opposite, but that it was far more rewarding.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Valen)
    I know, as i appologised up there, i didnt think before posting, and i was tired. Believe me im not trying to make you feel inferior. I should point out that it does get easier the more you know, its all relative. You should feel proud that you have achieved what you have, and nothing anyone says on here should take that away from you. There is always someone more gifted than you around, there are plenty of other mathemeticians on here who could wipe the floor with me.

Also i never said P6 was easy, in fact i said the opposite, but that it was far more rewarding.
    Apologies again for my own outburst, I was just a little frustrated. You do seem like a genuinely helpful and kind person. Sorry for any offense, it was of my making. Thank you for not crushing me as well... lol. I can relate to the whole relative thing, I flopped in P1 mock, but as time went by I have become a far better mathematician.

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: July 23, 2004

University open days

• Staffordshire University
    Everything except: Midwifery, Operating Department Practice, Paramedic Undergraduate
    Sun, 21 Oct '18
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Equations

Best calculators for A level Maths

Tips on which model to get

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.