Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've only found information for studying abroad if you're doing languages but if you're doing something like history or economics are you able to study abroad in somewhere like the USA or Europe

ReputationRep:
    The only courses at Cambridge which allow study abroad are MML, History & MML (joint course), Law and Engineering, the latter two being study exchanges only.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by modnar)
    I've only found information for studying abroad if you're doing languages but if you're doing something like history or economics are you able to study abroad in somewhere like the USA or Europe
    Generally no, only languages and some weird subjects like AMES have built-in year abroads for everyone. There are a few exchange agreements for some students (e.g. Engineering/ Physical Sciences send around 20 students a year to MIT for their third year, but it's super competitive, St. John's college has some exchange agreements for it's students, etc.) but these are very rare and competitive.

I'm actually an exception to the rule, I managed to do my year abroad in China by intermitting (taking a gap year in the middle of my degree) - although this was pretty complicated and involved a lot of persuading the applications committee to let me go. In China I met several students from other universities who also did the same thing, but their universities all seemed a lot more relaxed in terms of letting them take the year out.

If you're really keen to do a year abroad, Cambridge probably isn't the best place to come since they really make it difficult unfortunately There's always the option to do a year abroad or a masters abroad after graduating though.

Also worth bearing in mind that if you intermit to do a year abroad you're going to be self-funded, you can't get student finance/ erasmus grants etc. - although in my case I was able to get a scholarship to cover basic costs (if you're interested in China, there are loads of scholarships available).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paralove)
    The only courses at Cambridge which allow study abroad are MML, History & MML (joint course), Law and Engineering, the latter two being study exchanges only.
    And I think the Engineering exchange with MIT is closing down (I know that the Computer Science one is).

Poll
Favourite type of bread

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.